Anyone see Ed Lopat go 4 innings Saturday night?

On the MLB channel?

I can now see how Whitey Ford got his mechs :wink:
1953 WS against the hated Brooklyn Dodgers…he was effective til Jackie Robinson and Roy Campenella (3rd and 4th batters both bunt for singles :shock: )…then Casey gave him the hook for Reynolds.
Zita…he definately showed those famous “sidewinder” moves, as well as a screwgie. It was like watching a family member…heck the guy even looked like Whitey…lefty…square, haircut like a marine :lol:

I wish I had the MLB channel, but I’ve been pretty happy that espn classic has been playing some of the best games of the decade; I finally got a chance to record game 7 of the 2001 World Series. Strange thing is I’m not a D-backs fan but I hated the Yankees so much it meant so much to me just to see them lose. That series was just proof that good pitching beats good hitting.

Hi, jdfromfla!
I saw that game. I have the videotapes of all the World Series of 1949 through 1953, and I have been watching them closely, just to see Steady Eddie pitch. The only difference between him and Whitey Ford, if memory serves, was that Ford was a little faster; otherwise, the two could well have been twins out there on the mound.
You may remember that Lopat spent a large part of the 1952 season on the shelf as a result of what turned out to be tendonitis of the left shoulder. He had pitched two games in the 1951 Series and won both of them, but after that second game he suddenly couldn’t lift his left arm—the weather might have been a factor, because I remember that it had been cold and damp all Series (it even rained on the day the fourth game was scheduled to be played). But one day Lopat suddenly remembered an orthopedic surgeon whom he had known in Chicago during his White Sox days, and he flew out to see him. The doctor examined him, told him that he had tendonitis in his throwing shoulder, and prescribed a series of X-Ray treatments—extreme, yes, but they worked, and when Lopat came back he was pitching better than ever. He ran up a record of 33-8 frm that point until the end of the 1954 season.
He told me that story, and then he said, “But enough of that. Tell me about the slider.” I had been working on that pitch all winter and had used it in a couple of games, one relieving, two starting, and I felt very comfortable with it as my strikeout pitch. And yes, he did throw a murderous screwball, but not exclusively—he used it as part of his arsenal. One time he asked me if I ever threw it. I replied that I did not, and he said “Good for you. You don’t need it.” Indeed I didn’t—I had a whole closetful of breaking pitches to work with.
It’s always a great pleasure to watch him at work.

A further note to jdfromfla: You have to be referring to the last game of the 1953 Series. Lopat had pitched the second game and had gone the distance, winning 4-2. I saw that one also; at the end of the game he said something like "Well, I finally beat those big bad Dodgers."
The story behind that was the fact that the Dodgers were murder on lefthanders; even the Braves refused to send Warren Spahn out there against them, because they knew he would get shellacked. But Lopat? He made up his mind he was going to go out there and beat those Bums, and what was more, he was going to go nine innings and beat them. And he did. :slight_smile: