Anyone heard of the eephus pitch?

anyone heard of the eephus pitch? if so how do you throw it?

u lob it in the zone

Nope. It’s an actual pitch with an actual grip. I throw it as a joke in BP, and if I could locate it, I would throw it now and again in a game, once or twice here or there kind of thing. I grip mine with just my index finger and thumb, and throw it with my hand turned, so my thumb and finger each are on 1 side of the ball. It slips out of your hand, but if gripped right gets a lot of spin, and comes down like an extreme Zito curve.

The “eephus” pitch was first thrown by Rip Sewell back in the 1940s; he threw it maybe 5-10 times per game.

In the 1970s Steve Hamilton threw it once in a while, you can see an example here:

Dave LaRoche made it part of his repertoire in the early 1980s, at the end of his career; when he threw it, they called it “LaLob”.

The way those guys threw it was nothing special, they just lobbed the ball high in the air with regular backspin and tried to get it to drop somewhere near the strike zone.

Orlando “El Duque” Hernandez throws a very slow, high curveball that is similar but not quite the same thing.

Yeah, the ephus I fool around with is the ElDuque style. That video is real neat though.

I saw when A-rod hit a bomb of El Duque, i wonder if that pitch was used if it could even work.

i think phil rizzuto said he could hit a homer off an eephus pitch. he went down swinging looking like a total retard. next time he was up he walloped it though

The “eephus” pitch, also called the blooper, the “folly floater”, “la lob” and various other appellations, came about when Rip Sewell had to alter his delivery as the result of an injury. Basically, it’s a slow, high-arcing curve ball that has been known to reach heights of 20 feet before descending, and it can be very difficult to hit or very easy to hit—it all depends on how well the batter can time it. Sewell had great success with it, except for one time when Ted Williams connected with it and blasted it out of the ball park. It works best thrown straight overhand. Interestingly enough, Lefty Gomez used the term “eephus” in another context, meaning "put a little something extra on the pitch."
Orlando Hernandez (“El Duque”) has been known to throw it sometimes. Other than that, you don’t see it around much.

In the late 70’s I had the chance to meet Steve Hamilton when I played against his team at Morehead State (Ky) . I made it a point to tell him that he inspired me to throw the floater all thru youth ball…not surprisingly, my hs and college coaches were not fond of the idea …

zambrano threw a little one in tha all-star game to manny ramirez

what is the grip

[quote=“kelvinp”]zambrano threw a little one in tha all-star game to manny ramirez

what is the grip[/quote]

wrong. the pitch zambrano threw to many was a curveball that slipped. anybody who throws a curve has had that happen once. :smiley:

yes it was

he was laughing about it on the mound

besides it was slower than a curve

No it did not slip,

Zambrano throws that pitch. It froze Brandon Phillips so much he watched it for strike 3 about 4 games before the all-star game. He got David Ross on it too for strike 2 before finnsihing him with a heater. Zambrano does it once or twice a game and he throws the dang thing for strikes!

Old timers used to call it the “slop curve.”

Phil Niekro threw one every once in a while. He got Johnny Bench on one to strike him out. Next time up Bench said throw it again and Niekro oblieged-Bench hit it about 500 feet…Ian.

[quote=“kelvinp”]yes it was

he was laughing about it on the mound

besides it was slower than a curve[/quote]
Probably because it slipped.