Anyone Have Any Results From Increasing Water Intake?

I’m just curious if anyone has had any results from increasing water intake. I know water is supposively very good for you but I don’t think I drink enough. Baseball season just started and I just made the Varsity squad and I was in class thinking about how I should start to drink water more. Does it help you in baseball any? Like faster recovery etc.

Also what’s so great about water when it shows little to no nutritional value?

[quote=“Wooddell89”]I’m just curious if anyone has had any results from increasing water intake. I know water is supposively very good for you but I don’t think I drink enough. Baseball season just started and I just made the Varsity squad and I was in class thinking about how I should start to drink water more. Does it help you in baseball any? Like faster recovery etc.

Also what’s so great about water when it shows little to no nutritional value?[/quote]
I’ve been drinking more. It’s givve you more energy. It’s so good for you because it purifies your system. Just because it has nothing in it does’nt mean it’s not good. It also has no sugar which is a very good thing. It’s makes you muscles firmer as well.

Thanks for replying. I’d like to hear some more results from others.

I feel better when I drink a gallon a day. :smiley:

well there is a downisde, especially if you’re watching sports or something, you have to pee alot.

I wake up to pee more now than when I just drank a gallon of coffee a day.’

Seriously… I am an EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) and I have seen the results of dehydration. Heart arrhythmias, light-headedness, and loss of consciousness are some of the more emergent results of not drinking enough water.

On the other hand, the most energetic old folks I’ve seen in my line of work are those that drink a lot of water and walk a lot of miles.

This is not to say that old folks and young athletes should be considered the same, but for the sake of argument, I am willing to bet that more water equates to better overall system health regardless of age.

A normal person who sits at a desk all day and does next to nothing needs to drink 6-8 glasses of water (or equivalent) per day to remain well hydrated. So, if you are an active, young athlete, you probably need at least that much plus more to rehydrate after sweating / exercising, etc.

When you state that water has no nutritional value, you mean that it has no vitamins, proteins, or carbs. However, consider that your body is 60-65% water — so the “nutrients” are only applied to 35-40% of your body’s needs. In other words, your body needs water more than it needs nutrients.

While we’re on the subject of percentages, you should know that muscles contain 75% water; bones 22%, blood 83%, lungs 90%, and brain 70%.

The water in your blood helps digest food, transport waste, and control your body temperature.

So, knowing all these numbers, do you think water has some value, if not “nutritional” ?