ANY suggestions/advice would be appreciated

When I play catch, I am happy about my velocity. I achieve great hip/torso separation and my velocity comes pretty easy without having to think about the hip/torso separation.
When pitching, however, it’s a completely different story. My velocity goes down about 4-5 mph from playing catch with a tiny step to pitching off a mound. I can’t get any hip/torso separation. I have tried just about every mental cue that I can think of to get the separation, but it hasn’t worked.
What mental cues have you guys used to get good hip/torso separation on the mound? Or does your mechanics come naturally? Finally, I would appreciate ANY advice or suggestions that could help me out.

For some, the mechanics come naturally. For the rest of us, there’s “The Secret”.
I’ve talked a lot about this, and with good reason; there are many pitchers who never heard about it, never realized that it’s the real key to a pitcher’s power. What you want to do is get the whole body into the action. I learned this from watching how the Yankees’ Big Three rotation of the late 40s to the mid-50s did it, and I picked up on it and worked on it on my own—with fantastic results. Those pitchers were all driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous (and, it seemed to me, seamless) motion so that there was an uninterrupted flow of energy all the way to the shoulder and the arm. They were generating more power behind their pitches, not to mention taking a lot of pressure off said shoulder and arm so they could throw harder and faster with less effort.
A good place to start is the so-called “Hershiser” drill, which aims at getting the hips fully involved. It requires no special equipment, just a fence or a wall. And once you’ve got it you’ll realize that the hips are the connection between the lower and upper halves of the body, and that is what you really want. And don’t be surprised if you find that, instead of losing velocity on the mound, you pick some up—four, five MPH, even more. :baseballpitcher: