Any help would be great

Hey any input that anyone has on how I oculd better my mechanics would be greatly appreciated. I took this video about 4 weeks ago. Thanks

pretty solid mechanics just maybe try to keep your hips closed as long as possible it will help you get more on each pitch

Those are probably some of the best mechanics we’ve seen here. I think they are very solid. Hopefully everyone agrees with me. I tried pausing it to find hip shoulder seperation and got lucky on my second try and the pitch I paused at your hips were ahead of your shoulders, which is great. Your hips also seem to move pretty good to the target.

Do you take pitching lessons?
How hard do you throw?

You look good, nice tempo. I only have one comment: Your stride is a bit too closed, and your stride foot too opened.

You do several things very well.

BUT…there is more in there!! :smiley:

TWO BIG ONES…

1. Strike foot lands slightly open (pause at 18 seconds). Keep that straight.

2. You should work on landing with a slightly bent, but firm, front side leg.

Your leg bars out and that affects a couple very important things. A) The reach of your release point (which will help you in a ton of areas) B) The support of your arm during follow through…you tend to have a sharp recoil. That will eventually catch up with you and your shoulder will feel negative affects.

Ever heard of the towel drill? Different forms of that could possibly assist you in learning to get your release point out. It could also help teach you how to properly follow through release.

These things are fixable and they will be very beneficial.

(If you want to get ticky tack…it could help if you weren’t sending your glove at such a sharp angle toward the sky. If that was reachin out toward the target just a little bit more it could help your back side arm get out further when you rotate. :slight_smile: )

bballboy24

Why is it that you think opinions regarding your mechanics from people that you know nothing about have value?? Or stated differently, how do you determine what comments/opinions you should follow?

For example, one person says:

And for what it’s worth (which from your perspective should be virtually nothing), I agree.

Another person says:

[quote]TWO BIG ONES…

1. Strike foot lands slightly open (pause at 18 seconds). Keep that straight.

2. You should work on landing with a slightly bent, but firm, front side leg.

Your leg bars out and that affects a couple very important things. A) The reach of your release point (which will help you in a ton of areas) B) The support of your arm during follow through…you tend to have a sharp recoil. That will eventually catch up with you and your shoulder will feel negative affects.

Ever heard of the towel drill? Different forms of that could possibly assist you in learning to get your release point out. It could also help teach you how to properly follow through release. [/quote]

And for what it’s worth (which from your perspective should be virtually nothing), and based upon where you are with your throwing mechanics (which I think are at a very high level) is the worst possible advice you can be given.

Because it’s my opinion that this advice is nothing more than watered-down hand-me-down, I will quote my favorite pitching guru, i.e. what I’ve read in his book or seen on his videotape with absolute no practical real-world experience to back it up (i.e. has never develop a high-level player).

It is my opinion that unless a player is at the most basic level of learning how to throw, opinions posted on forums such as this regarding mechanics, especially for players who are at your level, are virtually useless. And in most cases potentially very destructive simply because you have no way the judge the value of those opinions other than what you currently know. So unless you have some other source(s) of information or should I say additional knowledge, there is virtually no way that you can differentiate good information from bad information other than what you already currently know. Which if one can follow this logic says that you will obtain no new information from these opinions. And by new information I’m talking about information of value, information that will improve your throwing abilities. That opinions are virtually useless unless you have some way of validating them other than with what you currently possess as throwing/pitching mechanics knowledge.

In other words unless you are willing to spend a lot of time researching other sources of information, opinions presented here (any forum) have potentially little or no value unless possibly there is a universal consensus as to what you should or should not be doing.

And as I said my opinion has no more or less value than anyone else’s opinion unless you know something more about who I am and what I’ve accomplished (my credentials and havingproven myself) with respect to developing high-level players throwing, pitching performance.

XJ, I find it interesting that you feel a need to admonish this kid to beware…of what? the towel drill? And it’s “the very worst” possible advice he could have received? So your implication here is that A) The kid is too dumb to discern “good” from “bad” advice and so “needs your protection” to save himself from this “bad” advice and B) Talking about it without the benefit of “expert” wisdom is fruitless and counter-productive.
Could it possibly be that he is simply looking for validation that he’s got it goin on? He mentioned no particular problem or issue, just asked a kind of leading general question…kids are like that on occasion. Or perhaps he’s advanced enough to realize that he should look for as much critical input as he can…understanding that he is under no obligation to either accept or decline any advice given but that sometimes wisdom can come from the least likely source (My wife for example…shes not produced even one pro or top tier competitor…except her own chidren but can see and point out when my sons timing is off…and she thinks all gurus are Snake Oil Salesman).
I’ve personally invited your input on our site and recognized that you offer a great perspective, unfortunately except for one time that I harranged you into just simply giving your perspective you have chosen to come on and ridicule our site and anyone…apparently not you, who attempts to help…even turning around and saying unless the kid understands that you are Paul Nyman and somebodies guru, that your input is also suspect. Well ok, you’ve done it, again…no O’Leary to kick and Roger had no input here so you can’t bash House…You’ve disclaimed any possible advice given in the Mechanics forum of this site, I’m going to ask Steven to put up a Paul Nyman disclaimer (NOT!) as an intro to this section so you won’t have to waste your time saving these poor dumb kids anymore.
You are now on notice, participate constructively or don’t, but if you bring this anymore I’ll wipe it as soon as I see it. No one comes from this site to yours bringing this negative stuff…AND we don’t go to your site and attempt to lure folks over here…we are free and welcome…you or anyone else who want to talk our art.

bballboy…nice, looks like you work hard…are you having any problems?

Buddy,

I do realize that some people have better imput than others, that comes with the territory of open forums. Fortunately for me I consider myself competent enough to distinguish between good constructive advice and not so good advice.

I dont know what your deal is or who you are, but all I was trying to do was get feedback on my mechanics and see if anyone could help me better them. What I was really hoping for was some of the admins to take a look, and why not? There are plenty of people on here who really have a good understanding of what they are talking about. Why not use all available resources? I’m serious as hell about baseball, and I’m trying to do all I can.

I just feel out of rhythm lately like I’m working against myself. But other than that, I was just looking for feedback to see if anyone had anything that could help me or could see things that I couldn’t