Any advice on this?

Got a question, my long time pitching coach started to try and get me to land on my toe vs my heal the last 2 lessons, I feel very comfortable with a heal lead and it really gets me a monster stride, maybe 6’ or 6’2" down the hill. I don’t think my front side is coming open as I land! I have watched some guys in the bigs and I think it’s about 40/60 heal vs toe lead on guys that I have watched.

BTW, I have always taken a heal lead, you can see that in my pitching log ever since I was 8, I am 13 now going on 14 in December.

http://www.letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13879

I was a little frustrated last night changing something that I know is comfortable for me, argh.

I’ve had pitchers that came to my rotations that landed on their heel, and as long as that didn’t create problems concerning their health and control - to get the job done, I left well enough alone.

On the flip side, however, there were those that landed on their heel for reasons that required addressing. Mostly, their “up” posture and not following through was a consequence of heel landing influences,

Not that the heel’s landing was the cause - no, but heel landing was the after effect and result of other things upstairs, in what they were doing, prior to electing this method of landing with said stride heel.

In any event, ask your pitching coach for his views on the influences that your body is projecting - thus, your landing on your heel. You may feel stability, even confidence, but there must be other issues that your coach sees - and should explain.

Changing such an important part of your finish - not to mention what you feel like during the mental process of convincing your body to accept such a change is vital to every appearance.

Coach B.

When I use the toe, I only get about 2/3 of the way to where I am with the heal lead…I am going to ask him to explain what he sees in me and if there is something else I can do to correct it.

Do you see anything in my recent videos that might give an hint as to what he might see?

Your stride length is not determined by how your foot plants - it is determined by how well you stabilize posture through your stride, how much momentum you generate, and how good your timing is (e.g. how well you stay closed and how late you rotate). Failure to do these things well (as well as attempting to lengthen your stride by reaching with the front foot) will result in landing on the heel. So, only if landing on your heel is an indication of these things notbeing done well should you attempt to change anything. And then you should change those other things - not simply change how your foot plants.

Roger, thanks, could you look to see if there is an issue with my timing, my personal pitching log is posted here.

http://www.letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13879

The second page has my most recent videos.

This issue is best assessed from a side view so it’s a bit tough from mostly the front. In general, it does look to me like you lack momentum and you possibly turn the glove over a bit too soon leading to shoulder rotation that’s a bit early. But your comment in your log about your stride length makes it sounds like you generate plenty of momentum. So, I’m not sure and really would need to see a side view possibly in slo-mo.

I will try to get a side view and post it maybe later this week, I have a tournament this weekend. Thanks for your comments, so can my early shoulder rotation be solved by taking a toe lead or should I be continuing to work on delaying my glove glove side?

My suggestion would be to stay “equal and opposite” to as close to foot plant as possible. If it feels like you’re just holding the glove out there too long, get the momentum going sooner/faster.

I really had good control tonight of most my pitches except when I was going slide step, I wonder if this could be part of it, I have a tournament this weekend maybe I can get some additional video.

The slide step can lead to your lower have being too quick for the upper half. In other words, the lower half does its thing so quickly that it doesn’t allow the upper half enough time to do its thing. The result is that you mess up your sequencing and things like hip and shoulder rotation that should happen in series end up happening in parallel. That can rob you of power and cause the arm to have to speed up making it more inconsistent.

If you must use a slide step, try taking the knee back towards 2B while the hips start forward. That will slow down the lower half a bit without showing the other team a big knee lift. Otherise, if you can get good at being quick to the plate with a knee lift, then you can use a knee lift and avoid the slide step as much as possible. But still show the other team a slide step once in a while to give them one more thing to think about.