Another Pitch Count One

92 pitches over 4 innings for a 15yo freshman. Too many or reasonable? He got a late start due to basketball and a thumb injury and hasn’t thrown more than about 60 pitches in a game previously. Was clearly struggling throughout. Was at 70 pitches after 3 innings. Throws moderately hard working at 78-79.

I hear that for this afternoon’s game they let the starter go 6 innings. He’s a fully mature 16yo sophmore who doesn’t throw very hard, has been throwing more and has little or no future beyond JV so that’s no big deal, but he probably threw about 100 pitches (talked to his dad and he probably only threw 80 pitches). (This coach ruined one kid’s arm during winter ball last year. The kid came to me after pitching for this guy and told me his arm was sore. I asked him how long it had been hurting - a month. I shut him down and sent him to the doctor. He had a medial epicondyle avulsion. He also helped hurt my son’s arm by insisting that he play in the field to get more than 1 plate appearance a game during summer ball. There was no need for him to do that under the league’s rules. Even though I told him not to throw a ball hard under any circumstances he did and possibly ended up with the stress fracture as a result. He did lead the team in hitting from that point on but was then sidelined for the next 7 months.

It was time for the showers 10 pitches ago, IMHO, Ian.

Too much, too early. Do you see anyone in the majors throwing that many pitches this early? I wonder why?

90 pitches over 4 innings averages out at 22.5 pitches per inning so it does seem that the pitcher was struggling. What was his highest pitch count for one inning? Extended pitch count innings fatigue the trowing arm and should shorten up a pitchers outing. Especially for a 15yr old pitcher. What was the coach trying to prove? Didn’t he have anyone in the bullpen ready to go?

Coach needs a refresher on handling pitchers. Great way to burn a kid up before the season is a day old.