Annoying Elbow Pain!

Okay everytime im done pitching about 90 pitches the day after elbow can really be sore… most of the time its not sore during pitching just after… i just want to know if this is pretty normal? Im thinking of getting a possible checkup on it. :?

Don’t take a chance - go see a doctor.

No, it’s not.

You should go see a doctor.

Also, the root cause of the problem could be mechanical.

A bit of elbow or shoulder soreness after that many pitches is not at all unusual. It is still probably a good idea to go see a doctor.

[quote]The incidence of elbow or shoulder pain increased with the number of pitches thrown in a game.

The incidence of elbow or shoulder pain increased with the number of pitches thrown in a season.

Pitchers who threw curveballs or sliders had greater incidence of pain than those who didn’t.

No relationship between poor mechanics and increased risk of pain could be established.
[/quote]

That’s from an ASMI study using youth pitchers.

Let me repeat: “No relationship between poor mechanics and increased risk of pain could be established.”

For adolescent pitchers another study established that arm injuries came from overuse and fatigue. There was nothing about mechanics.

So does that say that poor mechanics don’t cause injuries or just that injuries are far more likely to be caused by overuse than poor mechanics?

Also, did they define what constituted poor mechanics? That seems like it could be rather subjective.

Personally, I feel that poor mechanics can create wear and tear that is cumulative over time and which compounds with overuse to greatly increase the chance for injury. I don’t have any proof of this but it’s the philosophy I go by in order to play it safe.

well i threw about 90 pitches yesterday on 3 days rest from throwing about 90 pitches 3 days ago not smart i know but my elbow didnt hurt at all and even today its just alittle sore. I worked on keeping my arm at a 90 degree angle because i kept flying open and elbow would drop… which i think causes my elbow pain :twisted:

By the way i never ice my arm i just hate it. i wait and then put some kind of heat on the sore places!

So what can the elbow pain be attributed to then? Im curious if anyone has gone through the MRI process and what it revealed and what was the treatement.

Pass along your experiences please.

Thanks.

the elbow pains haven’t been a problem lately because i have been doing forearm exercizes everyday with a handball (soft rubber ball). My elbow bothers alittle when warming up but when i throw like 20 pitches it goes away

do you use tubing before you throw? Because if you dont that might be the problem i use to have the same problem as you till i used the tubing.