Ankle Weights

Is it okay to do sprints with ankle weights, or does it cause too much stress on your hip flexor?

I would think that it would cause more stress on your knees than your hip flexors.

I don’t know about any research to support what I’m saying so I could be wrong.

I also don’t know the positives/negatives about ankle weight running or really any weighted running in general, so I’m sorry I can’t be more help on this subject.

I hoped I helped at least a little.

What are you hoping will happen?

stronger legs / sprint faster

Perhaps a safer and more effective alternative would be pulling a sled or chains: http://www.ballsout.com/sled.jpg

My old man found a few heavy duty chains in an old elevator shaft at work and brought them home one day. We had a harness to attach the chains to, and started incorporating them into our workouts. If that doesn’t make your legs burn, nothing will!

How much do you squat and deadlift?

Squat 315 to parallel 8 times

As an athlete i assume you value the health of your joints. That being said, lose the ankle weights immediately. You should especially not be sprinting in them. The added strain on your knees, especially with heavier ankle weights, is a great way to fast-track your knees into a painful situation.

If you want stronger legs, i have a suggestion, something i have been doing myself for 6 years. Find a tire, a truck-sized tire is best to start with, tie a rope to the tie and knot it up tight. Tie the other end of the rope around your mid-chest and SPRINT.

Doing sprints whilst dragging a tire will certainly strengthen those legs.

[quote=“WC12”]As an athlete i assume you value the health of your joints. That being said, lose the ankle weights immediately. You should especially not be sprinting in them. The added strain on your knees, especially with heavier ankle weights, is a great way to fast-track your knees into a painful situation.

If you want stronger legs, i have a suggestion, something i have been doing myself for 6 years. Find a tire, a truck-sized tire is best to start with, tie a rope to the tie and knot it up tight. Tie the other end of the rope around your mid-chest and SPRINT.

Doing sprints whilst dragging a tire will certainly strengthen those legs.[/quote]

Amen brother.