Angle

steve, i throw low to mid 80’s right now with good off speed. i throw from a 3/4 arm slot. but occasionally i will drop down side arm or almost sub and snap of a curve. can this help me be more effective by changing my arm occasionally to change the hitters eye

I’m not a huge fan of changing arm angles. In my opinion, if your use your fastball effectively, and mix in a good off-speed pitch – you just don’t need to change slots. I don’t know of any big league pitchers that do it … do you?

So I wouldn’t, instead just keep working on your four-seam fastball, getting some late break on a two seamer, and developing a good off-speed pitch…

[quote=“Steven Ellis”]I’m not a huge fan of changing arm angles. In my opinion, if your use your fastball effectively, and mix in a good off-speed pitch – you just don’t need to change slots. I don’t know of any big league pitchers that do it … do you?

So I wouldn’t, instead just keep working on your four-seam fastball, getting some late break on a two seamer, and developing a good off-speed pitch…[/quote]

I actually do know of one, Bronson Arroyo who did fairly well with boston in there WS run. I tended to change my arm angle around on my curveball as well to keep guys from being able to get used to my movement on a curve but towards the end of the year I changed. I’m working more on getting a sinking fastball as well as working on a slider or cutter just so I have a pitch that goes to either side of the plate. Steven does make a good point though, not man guys succeed or even attempt to change arm angles with there off speed.

Here’s an Arroyo bullpen:

There are/were several other pitchers who use two distinct arm-slots; however, they are rare. Most pitchers seek to gain control over just one release point, which means that the different pitches they throw will wind up in different places around the plate.

I very much agree with the substance of Steven’s and CB’s comments though–it is a very rare pitcher who can master more than one arm-slot. Most have all they can do to master one arm-slot to get a consistent, repeatable release point.

Nice vid, la … thanks! You’re right, I was looking through some clips today, and there are a few. But mastering just one arm slot is a life long process for most pitchers :slight_smile: