Andrey Malov Pitching Analysis

Hi everyone!

I am Andrey Malov, and although I am just over 30, I just started playing amateur baseball last year. I started pitching only three months ago, so please don’t laugh too loud when watching these videos. I would really appreciate your comments and advice.

Thank you!

Andrey, you look strong and determined to hold your own out there.

Here’s my suggestions:
You’re playing in an over 30 men’s adult league and you’ll be facing a variety of guys who can and can’t hit. Your main concern should be to get it over, a high percentage of strikes anywhere you can, and get a feel for the game being that you’ve been away from it for a while.

In your video you’re pitching off a flat surface and the distance that your backstop is from you looks far away. At that, you seem to be nailing the guy dead center. Keep that focus.

When you start pitching on a public field you’re going to run into all kinds of surface problems that’ll take away your balance and momentum, so be ready for it. Do the best you can and don’t try and howitzer the ball down to your backstop. Focus on simple strikes, wherever you can get them.

You look like a husky guy that has power. This is a good thing BUT it can be your undoing if you don’t temper yourself. Because of the variable surfaces that you’ll be pitching off of, your pitching arm will bear the brunt of your pitch. Regardless of the … “do this…do that”, you’re going to have to muster enough velocity to your pitch to represent yourself in a decent way - ** according to others** … so again, temper your aggressiveness.

As this season progresses and you gain in experience of being on the field again, give yourself time to adjust to the games tempo at this level, and at your age. As we get older, the mental gears are whirling away, and sometimes the body doesn’t shift gears at the same speed. So, just pace yourself and get that feeling back again of playing ball. Once you have that new influence of this game, you’ll have a much better benchmark to absorb and rationalize opinions and suggestions on form, progressive movements and so on.

Finally… WELCOME BACK TO THE GAME.

Thank you coach! Really appreciate your advice! I just wanted to ask maybe you saw some obvious mechanical flaws in my motion that I need to work on? Release point, stride etc?

Others will chime in and offer their expertise, but I’d rather approach your request with the following:

• As I mentioned earlier I really don’t see any real problems for recreational pitching in an amateur league of over 30 adult .ball. I could be wrong, and others will step in and advise you.
  • Give yourself a season of actually playing this game first before making particulars to your motion. I say this because I don’t see any dangers in your pitching, injury potentials, and so forth.
  • The more you actually pitch, you’ll either be locating high/low/inside and so forth on a regular note, then there will be a time to advise you when actual game video is show to us.
  • At this point be mindful of being overused and strains and pain in your pitching shoulder and arm. Again, I don’t see anything that’ll get you to that point in how your pitching now. You look good, strong and able to handle yourself just fine for recreational baseball. I should mention that I wouldn’t go more than four innings at first. Ease into this sport and hone in on what your best pitch is going to be - fastball in/out/down. curveball, slider, and so forth.

All in all you have a learning curve that’ll best serve you and those that advise you, if you have a little more experience under your belt and show us video of actual game times. Actual game pressures will float to the surface what you’re really doing - pitching wise, and thus the advisors on this site can do a better job of helping you.

Thanks coach! I’ll surely take your advice! Since I only started pitching a few months ago, our coach only gives me the ball for a couple of innings in low-leverage situations. My primary position is CF (occasionally LF). Playing in the outfield is pretty much fun, but pitching is what I really want to do and what I really enjoy! As the season progresses, I may be able to post some game videos.
Anyway, thanks a lot for helping me!

Andrey,
I’ve attended many adult recreational ball games for 30+,40+ and 50+. The main theme of these games is to win. Winning is a big thing with these clubs and there members. Some leagues compete for a pot $ at the end of the season with the best win-loss record claiming the purse. Others compete for other awards and goals.

Regardless of what’s what, the competitive sprit can be very high and intense at times. I’ve seen fist fights between clubs, on umpires, and within a club itself. Beer and liquor can be passed around along with other Indulgences - although not with every club or permitted by every league.

Just be mindful that going out to just “have a good time” is not necessarily the purpose of many amateur adult baseball clubs and leagues. On the other hand, if you’re lucky enough to be with a group that understands the limitations of amateur adult baseball as a recreational sport, you’ll be 14 again … going on just over 30.

Oh yeah I saw tensions rising a couple of times:slight_smile: Fortunately, no beer or liquor is allowed near our ballpark, but nevertheless some guys are bit too emotional.
We try to avoid such things, we’re playing our first season, so we try to avoid getting into any trouble. We’re just trying to win the games we can and just having fun in other games)))

I totally agree with coach Baker, getting a great feel for the game can reignite your overall athletic prowess. Stay calm and use that to your advantage. Mental prep is the majority of the game. Use your natural athletic abilities to draw-on without an over-exaggerated approach. Try pitching on a few raised surfaces, such as a drive-way (no cleats) or small dirt hill with cleats and if at all possible a little gravel lane that way you can get a feel for adjustments. Also, after you separate your hands coming out of the knee-lift try raising your throwing arm at the same time your shoulders rotate forward rather than raising the arm first and then rotating, could save you some stress on the shoulder and allow a little more get-up on the velo…

Great advice! Thanks! I pitched two innings on Saturday and I steel feel soreness in my shoulder. Hope what you say will fix this.
Frankly, I didn’t do too well. My final line - 2 IP, 4 R(3ER), 2 BB, 1 SO. Couldn’t locate my fastball - it was going way too up. I switched to changeup, it was going much more straight, but they were hitting it…

(Momentum) Body-in-motion: If you correlate the outfield with pitching you will find that an outfielder puts his body in motion before he throws the ball (crow-hop) in order to generate power from his back leg through his hips into the throwing shoulder. Pitching requires much of the same motion but obviously you can’t crow-hop off the mound so you substitute this motion with a front-hip tilt to home plate (butt-out to the catcher as you come out of your knee lift)… Do not separate and throw until your hips move a few inches (3-inches max) toward home plate as you come out of the lift; this will create a leg-momentum behind your pitch and the shoulder will carry less load. SO basically, wait for your hips to go into motion toward home BEFORE you separate and throw…

Looks good through leg lift. From hand break forward, you have a lot of work to do. I think it’s great that you have found interest in the sport and get enjoyment out of playing it. It will make putting in the work a bit easier for you. Take it slow and build your delivery from the ground up. The first suggestion I would have would be to look at the Hershiser drill and master it. Once you have done that, take another video of your delivery because it will not look anything like the video you have already posted. From there, we will be able to offer more assistance.