Andrew Pitching

My son asked me to put up a video of his mechanics to see what everybody thinks. He is a high school freshman standing 5 ft 9in and weighing 135 pounds. He has topped out at 82 MPH and is consistently 78-80 MPH. All I have right now are slo motion videos.

lovin the mechanics, looks like koufax, feller, lots of rotation, good arm action, if it works for him i almost wouldnt change a thing, it looks great.

Slewy…

Looks very good to me (especially from about 8 seconds on). Just a question for the experts…should he be leading with his hip sooner? In other words, it appears through about 7 seconds that he is not moving to the plate (almost leaning back or straight up). I admit that I’m not an expert and I certainly don’t want to cause harm here, but it seems that he should be moving forward much sooner. Looks really good, though. Very athletic.

Looks good, love the converse by the way :lol:

He love the Converse Chucks also. He is now working out barefooted but likes MY Chucks to pitch and run in as they give hime a little padding but not too much.

We love the Chucks at our facility too. I wear them when I pitch and my javelin thrower wears them while doing anything conditioning-related. Low-top is the way to go. :wink:

Nice delivery. His velocity is excellent for his age; well ahead of where I was back then.

Couple minor things:

1. As you step back and pivot to start the delivery, try to get that posting foot lined up alongside the rubber a little more.

2. It’s tough to tell if you’re lifting your leg or swinging your foot up into the posting position. I generally prefer the first.

3. Good position at footstrike, but the deep shoulder tilt backwards that starts during the pivot and continues right up to footstrike is too aggressive in my opinion. I’d like to see some leveling out of the shoulders throughout this phase, which would keep the head/chin down.

Can you post some other angles and full speed?

Thank you for your comments. The angling of the foot of the posting leg was something that we learned at Wolforth’s Pitcher’s Bootcamp. Interestingly, it was mentioned in a post on Letstalkpitching in regards to Koufax. Unfortunately, I don’t remember who brought it up and which thread it was in.
He does lift his left leg and doesn’t sling it. As for the staying back to aggressively, that is probably overcompensation from going forward to early. That may explain why he has started vaulting over his fron leg recently.
I will try to post more videos after I get back from vacation.

Doesnt look to bad. If i had to make any chances I would say he opens up a little too much on his front side (could lose velo with this). And he doesnt have the ‘elbow above the shoulder’, i feel people might take this topic a little to far thats why I put it in quotes. For the most part pitchers should have their elbow above their shoulder but doesn’t apply to everyone. The reason i point it out in this video is because it looks like he is closer to shot putting the ball instead of throwing it. If he changes this he could gain a lot more velocity and prevent more injury. Good work putting a artificial mound in the backyard, wish i had that growing up!

I agree that he is opening up early. We are looking at drills to fix this.

Here is an update on Andrew’s mechanics. Any comments?

Loving it I wish I could have his mecanics im only 14 so I might learn something from this ;D

Looks real good. I think the arm action has improved since your first post. A little bit looser. What is he at for velocity right now?

He has been sitting at 84-86 MPH consistently.

If you don’t mind me asking, what do you think he needs to do to get to that 90mph mark or beyond? I think i remember reading you have taken trips to see Ron Wolforth? What was his advice? I am kind of trying to get a feel for what he teaches and looks for before i go to a bootcamp in December.

[quote=“danramosd”]… I would say he opens up a little too much on his front side (could lose velo with this).[/quote]I don’t see this at all. Check out his position at foot plant. The shoulders are still sideways.

[quote=“danramosd”]For the most part pitchers should have their elbow above their shoulder but doesn’t apply to everyone. If he changes this he could gain a lot more velocity and prevent more injury.[/quote]Well, this kind of talk should garner some interest around many discussion boards. Firstly, what are you referring to when you speak of the elbow above the shoulder? When should it be so? Why should it be so? Secondly, where’s the evidence of injury reduction from this recommendation, or any for that matter?

That is the multimillion dollar question. From a technique standpoint, I think he could gain velocity by learning to drive off his back leg better.
From a physical standpoint, he can always get bigger, stronger, and more powerful. He is doing most of Wolforth’s program although he has been neglecting his medicine ball work.
It is going to be interesting to gun him as he was 84-86 about 6 weeks ago. Since then, he has gained 10 pounds of muscle and increased his long toss from 270 feet to 315 feet today. Hopefully, his velocity from the mound las increased accordingly.

As for your trip to the ranch, just try to be in shape. Don’t worry about endurance and work on being explosive. You WILL learn a lot. Work the plan and you should do well.

Thanks, i am really looking forward to it. Good luck with his goals and becoming a better pitcher.

[quote=“dm59”][quote=“danramosd”]… I would say he opens up a little too much on his front side (could lose velo with this).[/quote]I don’t see this at all. Check out his position at foot plant. The shoulders are still sideways.

That assessment was based on last year’s mechanics. We have been working on keeping his shoulders closed. As for the elbow, we like to keep below the shoulder as we think it lowers the risk of shoulder impingement and subsequent rotator cuff problems.

[quote=“Slewbacca”]That assessment was based on last year’s mechanics. We have been working on keeping his shoulders closed. As for the elbow, we like to keep below the shoulder as we think it lowers the risk of shoulder impingement and subsequent rotator cuff problems.[/quote]My comments were to the effect that he’s staying closed just fine and I don’t really agree that he’s opening up early, as was suggested.

Also, the elbow above or below the shoulder and its theoretical contribution to injury risk, or avoidance of same, is a very contentious topic with very little evidence either way. It’s also fraught with definition problems. For example, when is the elbow above or below the shoulder? Some speak of this in terms of height above ground level but don’t take shoulder tilt into account. Some speak of the inverted W where the elbows get above the acromial line for a short period of time, then comes back down. As we all know, one person out there speaks of all sorts of evils that will befall a pitcher who uses the inverted W. No evidence exists to support this, though.

Andrew is doing quite well and not opening up early.