Analyzing a Pitcher's Mechanics without a Biomechanics Lab

Wrote an article you guys might like that is chock full of detail (and research studies) on pitching mechanics and how to look at them:

That’s some heavy stuff Kyle

The premise behind the thought about Hi-speed film/bio-mechs lab is that all that went before has no value…which is baloney.

If the rise of injury is the bell weather, then the previous methodologies are “better” as there was more innings, less injury. The dependence on numbers and "science’ take away from the art in many ways…one of them being the lack of unique pitching motions (You can have one if you aren’t an American/Canadian kid), efforts to stymie things like side-arm delivery…etc… It also derails the human element of coaching…
Tools are just that, the aid that enhances the work or teachng. They should be used not turned into the “master” of how we approach our art.

I think tech advances and using new approaches are great if they are used to improve existing processes. Sometimes an old approach is proven totally invalid and is scrapped, sometimes it is complimented with they new information/study/tech/equipment ect. To deny that a person can see more with this kind of approach as opposed to the naked eye or standard video is silly. To say that one thing or approach is the only way is just as silly. At the end of the day I think all of the tools in the tool bag are their to compliment what the pitcher naturally has. Cookie cutter isent good…but, to use a tired example, all the unique, individual arm action isent going to make Tebow an NFL passer…aint gonna happen. It takes a balance is my point I guess.

As I am fond of saying, throwing 90+ MPH for 200 innings without sustaining injury ain’t easy. If it were, everyone would be doing it! :slight_smile:

jd/fearsome:

Totally agree (you guys are saying the same thing). It’s another tool in the bag (a very important one for us, I will say) which has about 200 things in it. :slight_smile:

When you showed the Bauer video, and talked about the efficiency of the late launch I got a little confused of what you meant by late launch, do you think you could point out where it happens in the video?