Analyzers needed

Alright i have the videos for each of our 3 starting pitchers. The first one you will see is coming off shoulder tendonitis and is throwing again for the first time. please pick up on any thing you notice we can improve. here is his link, and all videos are in half speed film.

Second video is our Lefty pitcher Mike also in half speed

And finally RHP Zack in half speed as well

…Please analyze one or all of which you can add tips to, and feel free to suggest anything. Thanks guys.

i couldn’t see a lot but i love zack’s pitching arm action.

[quote=“CNYbball27”]The first one you will see is coming off shoulder tendenitis and is throwing again for the first time. please pick up on any thing you notice we can improve. here is his link, and all videos are in half speed film.

His shoulder tendonitis may be related to how, after he breaks his hands, he takes his Pitching Arm Side hand back behind his body and toward 1B. I would prefer that he took his hand more straight back toward 2B.

Other than that, he looks pretty good.

the first one looks like he opens up before lead foot it down all the way.
might be cause of tendintis?

I don’t like Zack’s arm action.

He does the same thing as the first guy. He takes his PAS hand way behind his back toward 1B rather than 2B.

Were your pitchers taught to do this?

I don’t see this. His timing looks good.

He does the same thing as the first guy. He takes his PAS hand way behind his back toward 1B rather than 2B.

Were your pitchers taught to do this?[/quote]

Thanks for the break down, where do we go from here. Any good drill to fix these problems or just retaping after small adjustments?

chris if you pause the video when he hits ground all the way you will see he is open but it has to be planted not a couple inches off. It might take a while to get it.

i think you’re right. my youtube would frame this part.

he should bring his arm back instead of behind when he breaks his hands and everything should fall into place. other than that, i love his arm action because it’s so tall and so smooth.

First pitcher:

Very difficult camera angle to analyze. It appears to me that he reaches with the front leg instead of leading with the front hip. That will cause him to keep his weight back and not build up as much momentum as he otherwise could. Therefore, he won’t get as much out of his body to throw with and that could cause him to try to make up for it with his arm.

I also noticed his back foot lifts off the ground instead of dragging. This is normally an indication that the upper torso is getting too far out front at release which also results in throwing more with just the arm. I think he may need to keep his head and shoulders upright (stacked) a bit longer.

Second pitcher:

Can’t really see any serious mechanics problems from that angle although I can’t see his feet. But, from what I can see, I would be interested in seeing a side view with the feet visible. It looks like he never gets his back leg extended, he might be too upright and his stride might be shorter than it could be.

One thing I can see that I don’t like is the way he finishes with his glove behind him (on 2B side) - not a good position to defend himself from a liner hit back at him.

Third pitcher:

Can’t see enough in the video. I look at lot of things at foot plant but I can’t tell when his foot plants in the video. He seems to have too big of a posture change. He might be lacking hip and shoulder separation but I just can’t see enough to be sure.

I agree, thats something similar I did (you can see it in my videos), I changed it, so now my arm action looks mora like the one Greg Maddux has.
So I believe Zack does it because he thinks he will get more velocity that way, which could be true since he is a “slinger”, not a “swinger” type of pitcher.
Thats just my opinion.

I don’t see this. His timing looks good.[/quote]

I don’t see him opening too early either… He reminds me of a righty Tommy John, kinda looks like he’s throwing a pie.

When they break their hands, have then take them back toward 2B.