Analysis Help Please

Here’s a video of me pitching…take a look and any criticism or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

A couple of things, and they are meant very sincerely:

1. Use a tripod. The first thing I wanted to look for in your video was to see whether there was inappropriate head movement, up-and-down or side-to-side. Most people cannot hold a camera steady enough to analyze pitcher’s video for head movement issues. Your videotaper is no exception.

2. I liked the camera angle from the back; however, you also need one taken from a 90 deg angle–since you are a LHP that would mean if you were on the mound the camera should be set up on 1st base. Don’t forget–use a tripod and get something worth analyzing.

Now I know in the past you had problem rotating and it looked a little weird. It looks alot better this time from what I can see. You seem to release the back and extend the body pretty good.

One thing to keep working on is try to get the hip going a little tiny bit sooner it will help but beside that you look good.

Now I have a couple Q’s for you lol.

After you release the ball your pitching arm slams straight down?

How hard are you throwing? and how old?

My arm slams straight down? how bad is that?

uh im a freshman in college this year, im 18, and i throw like 85-86

Overall you look pretty good. But I would say that it appears to me that you lack momentum, you are unable to delay shoulder rotation and you open the shoulders a bit early. This leaves you in a position where you must throw with more arm. You might be able to increase your velocity slightly AND take some stress off the arm by improving this.

I think the first issue is you don’t appear to get into an opposite and equal position at foot plant. Part of this issue is simply that your arms don’t mirror each other. Your throwing arm extends back fairly straight but your glove arm remains bent. This means the glove arm is quicker than the throwing arm and by doing its thing quicker, it pulls the shoulders open early and steals the timing needed to delay shoulder rotation. So, part of the fix is to extend the glove arm to match the throwing arm. Do not change the throwing arm.

The other part of this issue is that your glove arm starts to drop early and that also leads to opening the shoulders early. Ideally, you want the glove arm to take the same amount of time to do its thing as does the throwing arm. That starts with getting into an opposite and equal position at foot plant.

The second issue is that you really don’t start building significant forward momentum until after the peak of your knee lift. You need to get moving forward sooner and faster. By not doing so, you inject more time into your delivery and that’s time for things to go wrong (like dropping the glove, opening early, etc.). Plus, it makes it harder to delay shoulder rotation because everything gets drawn out timewise. Getting the hips moving forward sooner and faster will eliminate unnecessary time from your delivery and it will adjust your timing so that the front arm doesn’t have to take significantly more time to do its thing. In other words, it will be easier to be in the opposite and equal position at foot plant.

What Roger said…! :wink:

Said another way - your lower body needs to catch up with your upper body. Or - the slow speed of your lower body lets your upper body get too far ahead in the timing sequence…
Also - Roger - What about moving his starting position on the rubber toward third base a few inches? Drag line looks like it ends 3 or 4 inches toward first base. Could be wrong here, video is a little fuzzy here on my computer. Might help with the ‘drawn out’ sense you get…?

Cheers;

O

I agree that it looks like his drag line goes off to the 1B side. But it’s too hard to make out where the drag line really ends. Plus, I can’t even see the rubber. So I can’t tell where the drag line is relative to the centerline of the rubber.

Hyperabduction/ inverted w. also when your lead leg plants your throwing forearm should be vertical.

I see no evidence of an inverted W here . Actually, I would call his arm action near classic horizontal W on the back swing but breaks down during acceleration.

I also don’t think equal and opposite at footplant is a source of this pitcher’s problem.

He has a timing issue where he gets his head and upper body moving forward and off to the glove side too early. Rushing. His elbow comes through somewhat low also. It’s very hard to tell with Youtube videos because you can’t step through them frame by frame but I think I see these things. Roger, I suggest a little “stack and track” discussion might be in order here and I’d defer to you for that.

I agree there is a timing issue and that his upper half moves forward and off to the glove side too early. But are you talking about early rotation or early trunk flexion? Shoulder rotation normally happens before trunk flexion and I felt that this pitcher was opening up (i.e. rotating) the shoulders early. And that could certainly lead to early trunk flexion which would, of course, affect “stack and track”. I was lucky enough to pause the YouTube video at just the right spot and the pitcher actually looked pretty well stacked - low back was loaded in and arched position while head and shoulders were stacked upright. But that was for one pitch only that I saw this.

I guess I’m still of the opinion that the earliest thing that goes wrong is his front side is too unstable and quick and that’s causing early shoulder rotation followed by what ever comes after that being affected as well.

Now, to put some perspective on this, I don’t think this pitcher has major problems. Rather, he has a little fine tuning to do. However, if this helps increase his odds for staying healthy, then that actually is major.