An opportunity

Guess email must be slow…

Ah well :reallyconfused:

Or he is just a very busy person…I know he saw the questions…I wish he would have responded…a very interesting man to talk to. He said he was aware of LTP and thought we were a fair place. I don’t regret giving it a shot and would try it again given another opportuity. :wink:

Oh boy, that’s the story of my life !

I told you he was a very interesting person to talk to :wink:

Hi Jim…please accept my apology for the long delay…by the way, I was thinking that maybe if it helps, we can do a taped interview that you can make available on your website for the most pressing questions, like overuse…certain questions would take me a really long time to write out/type out…let me know your thoughts…

Re questions from your last email, I’ve cut and pasted the q and a below…hope this helps, Alan

Here are the questions our posters asked me to ask you;

Hey, cool interview, Jaeger is an interesting guy. I have two questions…

Yoga is a big part of his routine. Some of the yoga poses are difficult and uncomfortable, espcially when one is learning yoga. I would like to get his thoughts on the process of breathing and getting oneself to relax while in a difficult pose and how this relates to being on the mound.
A. GREAT CONNECTION TO YOGA…YES, “BEING IN DIFFICULT POSES” AND BEING ABLE TO RELAX ARE UNIVERSAL…SO YES, IT IS VERY HELPFUL TO TAKE THE PRACTICE OF YOGA, AND RELAXING AND BEING QUIET/PRESENT IN DIFFICULT POSES, AND EXPERIENCING THE CARRY OVER INTO GAME SITUATIONS…SIDE NOTE, THERE ARE COUNTLESS MENTAL BENEFITS FROM YOGA, IN ADDITION TO THE PHYSICAL BENEFITS…JUST BE SURE WHEN YOU ARE DOING POSES LIKE DOWN DOG THAT YOU LEARN HOW TO STABILIZE YOUR SHOULDER IN A WAY THAT THERE ISN’T ANY IMPINGEMENT

I have had some guys have a hard time maintaining the intensity of their throws when they start to get close in. As the get closer to 60 feet the ball starts to sail and they are missing very high. They are trying to get their max throw into the 60 foot distance as he demands in his program. To get the throw down and correct their release point they naturally take some intensity off of the throw.

So,

1. What is his process to control breathing and relax while doing challenging poses and how can this be benefitial on the mound?

2. Does he think it is acceptable to lower the intensity on the pull down throws to get a good release point at 60 feet (as opposed to finishing at, say, 80 feet with max throw intensity), or, is it more of a benefit to bring the throws with max throw intensity even if they are “missing” high?

ANSWER TO QUESTION 2: GREAT QUESTION…AND VERY COMMON THAT PLAYERS “EASE UP” AND/OR MISS HIGH…IT IS ESSENTIAL TO “NOT” DECELERATE, AND TRAIN THE ARM TO MAINTAIN EFFORT OF FURTHEST THROW…THIS ALSO TEACHES THE ARM TO BE EXPLOSIVE…IT ALSO FORCES THE MECHANCIS TO GET IDEALLY ORGANIZED AS IT TAKES A GREAT DEAL OF MENTAL PATIENCE AND BODY RELAXATION TO TAKE 250, 300, 350 FEET INTO 60 FEET AND “NOT” DECELERATE, AND MISS BELOW THE KNEES (SIDE NOTE: 60 FEET MAY BE DANGEROUS FOR PLAYERS THAT GET OUT TO 33+ FEET)…SO THE ANSWER IS, PICK A FOCAL POINT MUCH LOWER, IE, 10 FEET IN FRONT OF YOUR PARTNERS TOES…THIS VISUAL WILL ACTUALLY HELP OUT YOUR PHYSCIAL MECHANICS TO ORGANIZE ITSELF OPTIMALLY…BUT THE BOTTOM LINE IS “DO NOT” EASE UP…AIM LOWER, UNTIL THE BALL GETS MORE DOWNHILL…THIS WILL FORCE YOUR MECHANICS TO GET RIGHT, SO TO SPEAK…AND THIS PLAYS A HUGE ROLE IN ADDING VELOCITY

Next;
Here’s my question.

The ASMI study concludes that

“Maximum distance throws produce increased torques and changes in kinematics; caution is therefore advised for use of these throws in rehabilitation and training”.

1- How does AJ respond to the conclusion to this study.
ANSWER: REHAB IS A DIFFERENT ANIMAL…IF THE MEDICAL COMMUNITY SAYS BACK OFF THE LONG TOSS POST SURGERY, I GET IT…BUT AT SOME POINT, THE ARM STILL NEEDS SOME EXTENSION, SAFELY, AND MAYBE AT SOME POINT A FEW MONTHS AFTER THE ARM IS BACK IN MOUND SHAPE, AND HAS BEEN “TESTED”, IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO START ADDING SOME DISTANCE…I’VE SPOKEN TO DR. YOCUM ABOUT THIS, AND THE CONSENSUS IS TO BE CONSERVATIVE POST REHAB (120-180 FT), BUT AT SOME POINT, I WOULD SUGGEST TO SLOWLY INCREASE THE DISTANCE OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME…THUS, A GUY THAT WENT OUT TO 330 PRE SURGERY (MAY ONLY GO OUT TO ABOUT 250 FOR A FEW MONTHS TO YEAR…BUT AT SOME POINT, IT WOULD MAKE SENSE TO START PUSHING THE ENVELOPE AGAIN)…ALWAYS LISTEN TO THE ARM…IT MAY TURN OUT THAT LONG TOSS DISTANCES MAY BE REDUCED AS A RESULT OF SURGERY, AND THAT’S JUST THE WAY IT MAY HAVE TO BE…IT’S JUST THE FIRST FEW MONTHS POST REHAB THAT ARE THE MAIN CONCERN TO BE CONSERVATIVE…

2- Does he have a study that refutes the conclusions ASMI came to.

PM me and I’ll give you his e-mail address

Next;

The guys are focusing on the pull down at throwing with the same intensity as their max throw for the day. A couple of them start to miss high as they get close in. I have noticed they compensate by taking some off their throws as they get close to 60 feet. I was asking what the best way to fix this is. Obviously lowering the release point, but, some really seem to struggle with this. So, is it better to keep them a little further back and reenforce hitting their spot and throwing with intensity and slowly over time get them to the 60 ft mark or is better to get them to 60 feet and get them to adjust there no matter how high they are to start. The reason I am asking is the two kids just really havent been able to get it together at 60 feet…I dont know if it is just release point or if it is an arm speed issue or just these two having a tough time syncing their bodies up. Dan Blewett had a good little piece about having some struggles with this (although he is throwing with much more intensity than these kids)…just looking for thoughts.

Next;

1- Have you considered sponsoring a scientific study that would quantify the benefits of your long toss program. If no, why not.
A. I HAVE…WHEN WE DID OUR DEMO FOR ASMI, I SPOKE TO GLENN FLEISIG ABOUT THIS (THEY SUBSEQUENTLY DID A STUDY ON THEIR OWN), BUT IT WAS GOING TO COST A LARGE SUM OF MONEY…WE DO HAVE SOMEONE VIA THE ERIC CRESSEY GROUP LOOKING INTO DOING A STUDY

2- Do you have any recommendations for the amount and frequency of throwing that youth pitchers should engage in.
A. I LEAVE YOUTH STUFF UP TO ASMI…THEY SEEM TO HAVE A GOOD FORMULA FOR THAT…MY BIGGEST CONCERN IS RECOVERY PERIOD…AND YOUNG KIDS NOT THROWING ENOUGH (AWAY FROM THE MOUND)…A SIMPLE FORMULA WE GO BY FOR THE OLDER KIDS IS AS FOLLOWS…10-20 PITCHES, 1 DAY OF REST, 21-30, 2 DAYS OF REST, 31-60, 3 DAYS OF REST, 61 + 4 DAYS OF REST. MY BIGGEST CONCERN IS KIDS THROWING MORE THAN 30 PITCHERS AND NOT HAVING AMPLE REST, AND DEFINITELY, NOT PLAYING ENOUGH CATCH THROUGHOUT THE WEEK…

Q: Response to weight training for pitchers
A: LIGHT WEIGHT, HEAVY ON REPS…FOCUS ON CORE, LEGS…COUNTERBALANCE WITH LOTS OF STRETCHING AND SURGICAL TUBING, MOSTLY STAY AWAY FROM WEIGHT ABOVE THE SHOULDERS, AND ANYTHING THAT IMPINGES THE SHOULDERS…SEE ERIC CRESSEY FOR EXPERT ADVICE…CRESSEYPERFORMANCE.COM

I will have to give the taped interview idea a little thought…I like it, what I like about this guy is what I like about our Steven Ellis…they really care and they respect others…may not agree but you’ll not find them to be anything but positive about helping kids play the game better. Also as you see he isn’t shy about resources…if someone has skills and capabilities, it looks like he has no issue with ego that keeps him from capitalizing on it…for a parent without his resource pool this is imo very instructive…kinda says…why put all the eggs in someones basket when you can get super info from several sources…

:wink:

I appreciate the quality of the questions guys…this was fun
jd

Awesome stuff JD

Thanks for doing this!

Tell Alan I’d love to speak to him about using our technology (wearable computing and high-speed video) to help him with a study.

Good stuff. Always great to get info from a great source.