An Open Apology to the Forum

I will begin my posts for this evening with an apology to all members who read my posts last night and took offense. Specifically, I would like to apologize to dm49, Roger, and Steve Ellis for what could have been interpreted as disrespect, and would like to thank them for reminding me that 90% of communication is in body language and vocal inflection, which does not translate well over text.

I am also sincerely sorry for the preachy tone of voice my messages took last night. I am a passionate man and my goal was to try to draw more than passing interest in what I feel is a grossly overlooked aspect of the pitching delivery, both in terms of training focus and analysis. Inadvertently I got more negative attention, which naturally aligns those insulted against me. I am quite ashamed to admit I displayed the same attitude I was criticizing Dr Marshall about in the first post’s post script. Hypocracy is a pet peeve of mine, but I am not immune to dipping a toe or taking a dive in that pool every once in a while.

In spite of that, a few of you have looked past this transgression to offer constructive criticism or ask questions. I would like to especially thank Roger for his questions. They will be addressed in another post.

Finally I would like to address the call for credentials by Spencer and terprhp. Not Flaunting any credentials or I may or may not have or even my name was an intentional part of my post. Unfortunately, most people blindly follow authority figures based on credentials alone. I want people to read what I post, think about it, and form an opinion for themselves. If my posts cause you to do some independent research which refutes my claims, I will “flip flop” like a “bad” politician. If you feel that this last paragraph represents a cop out, well then you have to make a choice as to whether or not to put any weight in what I say.

Once again, I apologize for any tone of voice deemed as offensive. If you all met and talked with me in person (I live in Toronto, Ontario and am always interested in talking pitching mechanics) you would understand the little sarcastic quips are simply little jokes I use in everyday speech which apparently don’t translate well. I will be much more careful in the future about how I express my opinions in the future.

Thank you for your time and I hope we can all learn together from now on.

Front Leg Freak

waiting for part 3 dude. you’re making some sense, keep going. tone it down a little but don’t lose your passion. you are who you are. those that are on here to learn will. those who don’t like getting brushed back will charge the mound.

pedro is one of the only guys i know that tends to land toe first and throws the ball a ton. it looks to me like nolan lands with a relatively flat foot. he also appears to lock his knee out just after release to do the catapult that koufax often refers to.

maddux keeps a flexed knee throughout his delivery until well after release. may explain why he releases the ball so far in front of his head. he’s amazing. my son trys to throw like him. maddux threw 91 in high school. he prefers to throw the ball off center for late movement and 4-5 mph slower. it works for him. he has virtually the same # of wins as clemens with much lower pitch counts. he shoots for the ground ball. he also tries to throw strikes on 0-2 which can get you flogged in high school.

anyway, waiting for #3.

Got him flogged last night too :wink:

I like what dusty said too. You have to think about how people will respond not just to your ideas, but to your presentation and then prepare for it.

Waiting on part 3…

I am going to specifically address the “catapult” a few have talked about in ryan and kofax.

the firming up of the leg is an EFFECT not a CAUSE. in fact the leg straightening AFTER release, and thus cannot contribute to velocity.

The reason the leg is straightening is that the have landed and planted hard which requires tons of quad activation. Once the ball is released, and forward momentum is dissipating, the quad activation overcomes that momentum and the leg straightens.

Front Leg Freak

Front Leg Freak,

Thanks for clarifying. I think we’re all here on this site because we have a passion. I’m glad you weren’t deterred from continuing to participate.

to understand koufax and the catapult action you need to read sandy koufax: a lefty’s legacy. you can get it in paperback. the first chapter is a great piece on pitching mechanics. talks about many of the things you are talking about. koufax is one of the few people major league pitchers will listen to. he is a gifted teacher.

well worth the effort to read. takes about 2 hrs.