An Ode to the Amazing Elastic Boy

I am putting this here, in hopes more guys get to see it and maybe gives the spirit here some real hard consideration :smiley:

We have a Super Hero here in Green Cove Springs, he glides around left and right field at Clay High School. He has all the attributes that a Super Hero does; He has an alias, who is mild mannered, he has special powers that you’d never guess he had…I’ll explain,

I guess I met him nine years ago, he was one of those quiet guys on our 10u team, a skinny, quiet really nice kid…he got 2 innings and an at bat every game, at the plate, we hoped he didn’t get hit…encouraged him to swing and hoped for the best, I remember that I encouraged him with phrases like “I know you can do it Adam”, sometimes he got a walk, sometimes he struck out, rarely he weakly grounded. This went on through the 10yr old team and the 12 and under team. He was always there, and always getting his 2 innings (Right field you guessed it) and 1 at bat. Always sitting quietly on the bench ( I never saw him not smiling and pleasent and respectful and having fun). I think it was our 12 year old year when my son introduced me to one of his super talents…“Want to see what Adam can do dad?” I’m thinkin…uh oh I hope this has nothing to do with lizard ingestion…well ok I’m game…“what”? My son starts telling him to go ahead and do it…all of a sudden, Adam puts his hands behind his back and holds his hands together…and then takes and rotates them all the way around to the front and then takes them back around his back without letting go…I’m thinkin hummm freaky…Well I’ve always been a coach who gives out nicknames so immediately he became Adamo “The Amazing Elastic Boy”. And of course we soon wore out our pet trick…making him break it out upon request…he’d get this sorta bored look on his face and whip it out…pretty good for Green Cove…well anyway he’d do the trick, sit the bench and just kept showing up each year. Well our 13 year old year…first on the big field…here was Adam, skinny, uncoordinated but here…We had a 13 yr old All Star team and well we were short fill in guys (We are a small town only had 11 guys available), guys who could pinch run or sub an outfielder and sit the bench with a great attitude. It was this team in which I saw him angry for the first and only time…and of course it was at me. I figured that he had been around a while and could catch the ball in the outfield, so maybe if I worked with him, I might could get him to sub an infielder in an emergency…well after missing a couple of grounders, he looked at me with anger in his eyes and said “I’m an outfielder”…I’m thinkin…“Is this Adam?”, well ok your an outfielder…We always were happy to see him each year…he always whipped out the trick, but I’ve coached a long time and was always ready to hear that he had moved on to some other interest, a fond memory and with any luck, he’d be one of those that come back by to see after they moved on.
The year he tried out for the Jr High, I remember being so happy to see him working hard and being brave enough to take the chance of being shown up by the rest of the guys out there. He impressed me that he had put effort into his outfield, he started to glide under the ball and throw solid cutoff picks. He still had a weak bat and generally sat and smiled and had a great attitude that he was just happy to be there.
We figured, his freshman year that it would all catch up and he’d be in band or something…certainly wouldn’t make the team…I watched nearly all of the early practices and the try out…there was The Amazing Elastic Boy…hustling around in the outfield, gliding well to the ball and making some throws…lo and behold Adam made the JV squad, sat the bench, subbed here and there, mostly smiled, had a great attitude and was just happy to be there. I think it was that summer, in summer ball Adam got his first JV hit, weak single up the middle…he got picked off. It was that year when getting his big chance, Adam was in center, at The Bolles School (The school that brought us Chipper Jones), he went floating back on a deep fly (My son was pitching), caught the ball, tangled his feet, fell, snapped his wrist…well we all figured…here is where Adam was going to fall away from the game…I mean, sitting the bench, game after game, getting time measured in appearances per week…a great week was getting to pinch run once and get to play the last inning in right field! And now a broken wrist, when I saw him the next day at school, he had that sheepish grin, he told me he was embarressed that he fell, I told him I was proud of his effort and that it was a great catch that had saved the team some runs…He was unconvinced.
The next year was his second on JV, he got a few more chances to play, he started to put his bat on the ball but mostly was a back up and a pinch runner. His coach gave him an award I can’t remember the name of it, it recognized that he was the one with the best attitude.
As a junior, we hoped that somehow he would be allowed to play JV just one more year…just so he’d stay around, again I got to watch almost all of the pre-tryout practices and try-outs and there was Adam, workin with the outfielders. Hustling and gliding and making some throws, he had a weak bat (weak grounders), but didn’t strike out near as much as before. He sat the bench and smiled and got to pinch run and play the last inning in games and lo and behold Adam made the varsity…
This summer, Adam has a job, he works for the school board, pays for his gas and car insurance, he lead the summer squad in homers… :shock:
When I finally got to see him (My son was off playing prospect travel ball and we traveled with him) I just stood there and smiled at him, he looked at me and, with a grin said “what?”, I shook his hand and I said “You know what!!” I said “Adam you are an inspiration to me”, “I’m so proud of you and your efforts”…he just laughed and asked how Andy (My son) was. I asked him what he thought about as he went around the bases that first time…he just smiled and said he was just thinkin how great it felt. He then hustled off and joined his practise…
We got this Super Hero, he serves up humility, he witnesses perseverence, he inspires to follow your dream…We got Adamo The Amazing Elastic Boy…and he cruises left and right field for Clay High…I am honored to have told you all about him. He’s a Senior this year, God Bless him, it’s so humbling when our children grow to be better people than we are :wink:

Wait he lead the summer squad in homers?

It was a great read, I really enjoyed it JD

Submit this shit to like chicken soup for a teenagers soul or somethin

“Submit this ***** to like chicken soup for a teenagers soul or somethin” 8) 8) 8) 8)

1. No such thing as bad pub friend, thanks for your input I’ll keep in mind your feelings next time I write. 8) 8) 8) 8)

No, I was serious, I was saying shit, as in like, this story. I thought it was a good story man.

Fowled up again by my lack of fluency with hep young lingo :roll:
I will work on my groove homey :wink:

Haha. We gotta appreciate our senior members of the board JD.

I read 3and0’s comment as positive initially. But I completely understand how you would have read comments as negative as well.

I still stop and explain stuff to my parents and I don’t hardly use any “lingo”.

They don’t understand how sick and nasty can be positive descriptions.

Great story nonetheless. It really serves as an inspiration.
And the biggest thing I take from it is attitude.
I would love to have more guys that acted much like Adam.
It makes me sick (negative usage haha) to see amazing talent with garbage attitude.

Come on, JD. You’re giving us old guys a bad image. Wussup wit dat?
What you thought was “bad” was instead…

well, bad
groovy
hip
sweet
tough
gnarly
tubular
awesome
dope
stoopid
da’ bomb
tight
phat

Word! :mrgreen:

[quote=“Roger”]Come on, JD. You’re giving us old guys a bad image. Wussup wit dat?

well, bad
groovy
hip
sweet
tough
gnarly
tubular
awesome
dope
stoopid
da’ bomb
tight
phat

Word! :mrgreen:[/quote]
oh man

See how I roll? :shock:

Remember the old lady who spoke “jive” in the movie Airplane? Well she owns me. :roll:

I mentioned to Roger and DM, that this kids parents were just as inspiring. Really, all you could ever hope for in parents who watch little league.

[quote=“centerfield2150”]Great story nonetheless. It really serves as an inspiration.
And the biggest thing I take from it is attitude.
I would love to have more guys that acted much like Adam.
It makes me sick (negative usage haha) to see amazing talent with garbage attitude.[/quote]

What I think is worse than good players with bad attitudes are bad players with bad attitudes. We had a few kids this summer and on JV that were downright horrible. No other way to say it and they made JV when they shouldn’t have and went into the summer thinking they were great and they would complain non-stop about where they played and where in the line-up they batted. It all stemmed from the JV coach who played some of these bad kids making them think they were good. It was so frustrating for someone who tries hard and never complains to watch these guys cry about every single move that happens not realizing that if there were cuts for summer they’d be gone.

When I was at 3rd and one of the complainers was running out to left field I’m almost positive he was crying, no lie. He wanted to play 2nd base.

Proving once again that life is not fair…and how we overcome the insanity makes us the people we are…for good or bad. In my day some kid crying on a ball field would set them up for eternal torment…they would end up on the chess team…debate or end up asking if you wanted fries wit dat… :lol:

[quote=“Roger”]Come on, JD. You’re giving us old guys a bad image. Wussup wit dat?

well, bad
groovy
hip
sweet
tough
gnarly
tubular
awesome
dope
stoopid
da’ bomb
tight
phat

Word! :mrgreen:[/quote]

That’s sick, man!

Dang! How did I forget “sick”? :oops:

Now dat’s what I’m talkin’ about.

Peace! We outa’ here.

:roll:

good story

I think the only time crying is allowed in baseball is when you take like, a brutal hop to the face, or got a nasty fastball in the head, or a comebacker to the pitcher. OR if you slide, and your foot rolls under your leg and you break your leg.

Did all that happen to you?!?

That’s the hizzie shizzles!

[quote=“hoseman18”]

That’s the hizzie shizzles![/quote]

I think this is getting a bit out of hand.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say hizzie shizzles. :smiley: :roll: :roll: :shock: :lol:

Well pain means nothing. It’s a feeling, a sensation. It tells your body somethings wrong. Well if you know whats wrong what does it mean? Nothing really.

One possible situation where you can maby cry is if you get pegged in the balls. This is when that pain means nothing thing falls apart lol.