An "all arm" thrower

My throwing motion has recently been commented on as an “all arm” throwing motion. I told this person this isn’t true, then they said there is a good way to see if this was true.

So they brought me down on my knees and had me throw some long toss and whatnot and truth be told I was throwing about 150 to 200 feet easily on my knees.

This sent mixed thoughts through my head. This could trash my arm and obviously I am not getting my true velocity on my pitches.

Any immediate tips?

By the way, my motion is deceiving. There is some body movement but I suppose all of my power is arm generated.

Could you post a vid?? :slight_smile:

“So they brought me down on my knees and had me throw some long toss and whatnot and truth be told I was throwing about 150 to 200 feet easily on my knees”

All this says is that you have a strong back/shoulder/arm, which is a good thing. Are they trying to say you can be faster? Or more accurate? Just the jist of your post, kinda says you possibly don’t use your lower half as efficiently as you could, plenty of drill work out there to let you know how to improve your delivery efficiency, remember the deal is timing and posture, so no quick fix, just hard work and dedicated effort. Step behinds are great for getting you to concentrate on posture and knee lift (Start behind the rubber with both feet together…modified stretch position, take the back foot behind you to the rubber position, this will get you in a good posture position when you knee lift, your hips will be in proper orientation, you will be stacked properly posture wise and your momentum will be moving towards the plate…now from knee lift to footstrike you need to do basically 3 things…get your hips moving toward home, your pitching hand around and back up to the power position and front hand in front of you thumb down…get all this to footstrike and you are ready to utilize the lower half of your body in your delivery…repeat and incorporate this into your bullpen for a while and you’ll find a whole lot more control and velocity in your motion…I bet).

Some good advice there from jd.

[quote=“jdfromfla”]“So they brought me down on my knees and had me throw some long toss and whatnot and truth be told I was throwing about 150 to 200 feet easily on my knees”

All this says is that you have a strong back/shoulder/arm, which is a good thing. Are they trying to say you can be faster? Or more accurate? Just the jist of your post, kinda says you possibly don’t use your lower half as efficiently as you could, plenty of drill work out there to let you know how to improve your delivery efficiency, remember the deal is timing and posture, so no quick fix, just hard work and dedicated effort. Step behinds are great for getting you to concentrate on posture and knee lift (Start behind the rubber with both feet together…modified stretch position, take the back foot behind you to the rubber position, this will get you in a good posture position when you knee lift, your hips will be in proper orientation, you will be stacked properly posture wise and your momentum will be moving towards the plate…now from knee lift to footstrike you need to do basically 3 things…get your hips moving toward home, your pitching hand around and back up to the power position and front hand in front of you thumb down…get all this to footstrike and you are ready to utilize the lower half of your body in your delivery…repeat and incorporate this into your bullpen for a while and you’ll find a whole lot more control and velocity in your motion…I bet).[/quote]

Thanks for the advice!

I will try these soon.

Long-tossing on your knees proved nothing. Whoever they are obviously doesn’t know anything about what muscles are being used. If your shoulders were rotating when throwing on your knees, and I bet they were, then you weren’t using just your arm. Something has to be rotating the shoulders for you and that’s your core.

[quote=“xv84”]Long-tossing on your knees proved nothing. Whoever they are obviously doesn’t know anything about what muscles are being used. If your shoulders were rotating when throwing on your knees, and I bet they were, then you weren’t using just your arm. Something has to be rotating the shoulders for you and that’s your core.[/quote]My thoughts exactly!!!

I agree with XV and DM.

Tom House claims that pitchers - from their knees and using as much hip and shoulder rotation as they can get while on their knees - can reach 80% of the velocity they reach on their feet using a stride. I’m not sure your coach’s experiment really proved anything.