American Legion vs. High School

So…What do you like and/or not like about each?

I will start off by saying that the High School baseball season is far too short for my liking.

i personally don’t know much at all about American Legion. how long are there seasons? and in what states is it played primarily?

Our seasons in Montana go from usually early to mid April, going into August for Regionals playing 60 plus games in a season.
All 50 states have Legion ball, though in some states teams are limited. Puerto Rico and District of Columbia have some too.
Montana is the only state in the union that does not have High School baseball, so Legion ball is all we have.

I played legion ball in New York and Illinois. It depends where you are, but in New York its a BIG deal and hella good competition. Really, an extension of the high school season but with better players because the teams can draw sometimes from larger areas.

Legion is an excellent option, if available.

Not to mention a player who graduated the season before can still play if he turns 19 the year of the season, as it was with myself.

I’ve never had the experience of high school baseball.

As far as Legion goes, our season generally goes from late April until late July. The thing I like about Legion is not only the length of the season but also that personally since I didn’t really get into a college with a real baseball team it allowed me to play as a freshman in college since it’s by age and not by grade.

What I’m not liking this year is that they don’t always adhere to the H.S. standards of play. This year we are already making the transition to the BBCOR bats instead of having one more year by the BESR standard. There is only a DH for the pitcher instead of having the option to have one DH for any fielder. There is no courtesy runner or “speed up rule” either.

I can’t say I liked H.S. ball better because Wyoming doesn’t sanction baseball as a high school sport. I can tell you I’ve enjoyed every year of Legion ball and am having a great time in my last season right now.

[quote=“therbert11”]Our seasons in Montana go from usually early to mid April, going into August for Regionals playing 60 plus games in a season.
All 50 states have Legion ball, though in some states teams are limited. Puerto Rico and District of Columbia have some too.
Montana is the only state in the union that does not have High School baseball, so Legion ball is all we have.[/quote]

Correction: Wyoming, Montana and South Dakota do not have High School baseball.

Pustulio, you ever get the chance to play against Brandon Nimmo? a fellow wyoming legion player?

[quote=“Pustulio”]

What I’m not liking this year is that they don’t always adhere to the H.S. standards of play. This year we are already making the transition to the BBCOR bats instead of having one more year by the BESR standard. There is only a DH for the pitcher instead of having the option to have one DH for any fielder. There is no courtesy runner or “speed up rule” either.

I can’t say I liked H.S. ball better because Wyoming doesn’t sanction baseball as a high school sport. I can tell you I’ve enjoyed every year of Legion ball and am having a great time in my last season right now.[/quote]

I am not fond of the DH rule for anyone but pitchers. Thats pretty bush league. With Legion ball I am pretty sure we have the courtesy runner in invitational tournaments. High School and Legion ball is more serious than little league. It should be closer to college standards than Babe Ruth league baseball. I was unaware of there being more than one state that didn’t sanction HS baseball. I will have to correct my Legion coach next time I see him.

I played against him once at the conference tourney in Laramie, WY two years ago. Our starting pitcher fell apart so I was on mop-up duty for the tourney and got to pitch to Nimmo. Should have gotten him out but our right fielder tried to make a routine play look dramatic and so Nimmo ended up on third. He’s a hell of a ball player though.

Most teams don’t see Cheyenne Post 6 too often out here though. They don’t play unneccessary games in the state they are always in Nebraska or Colorado. They are even sending a different team to represent them to two conference games this weekend. My team isn’t in their division so we very rarely see them.