Am I throwing my change up correctly?

What I consider to be my best change ups tend to look as though they “float” toward the target. Is this what I’m going for? If not, what are some characteristics of a good change up to look for? Keep in mind that I don’t have a blazing fastball ( it’s decent enough velocity wise) as well as the fact that I have poor eye sight and speed is hard for me to judge from the mound after I release a pitch. BTW I throw it with the circle grip.

Getting some videos posted on here for mechanical analysis is a priority so while I’m working on that I’ll try to shoot some looks at my fastball and then a good change. I’ll hopefully accomplish this tomorrow ( Friday ) so if the above description is not sufficient, bear with me and I’ll try to post that footage in this thread.

the best changeups are 8-13 mph slower than the fastball, thrown with the same effort/arm motion as the fastball. In addition, the best changeups have sink as well as fade - almost always towards the arm side. check out pedro martinez change it is one of the best ever. In addition to being an excellent pitch, it also makes the fastball look faster (perceived velocity). so now a days -pedros tossing 85-88 but the effect of his change helps him still produce.

chew’s right on with his description. I think a good changeup really needs to have that good downward fading movement to the throwing hand side of the plate. This will allow you, for example, as a RHP to start the CH on the middle of the plate to a LHH and catch the lower outside corner for a strike if the guy doesn’t swing. That’s the perfect spot for this pitch.

Ed Lopat once told me that just about any pitch can be turned into a nice changeup, and he demonstrated a few such for me. I took him up on that and worked on making changeups out of a few of my pitches, and he helped me refine them. Yes, they need to be a lot slower than the fast ball. but not having a fast ball it seemed that all I threw was changeups of varying speeds! :lol: But it worked.