Am I good enough for D1 or D2 college ball?

I’m and LHP and i’m 6’ 150. i havent been clocked on my fastball but a lot of people say im around 75, and so thats what my guess would be. i dont relly have a curveball, but i do have a changeup, which if i can throw for more strikes could be devastating. My parents are convinced im going to play college ball or even pro ball, but i dont know. They have signed me up for a few showcases in which college AND MLB scouts will be there. i feel like i wont be as good as the other pitchers there and am admittedly nervous about these events. a friend and I started a pitching program called Pitching 365 a few weeks ago, and so far it has been pretty good. oh by the way, my mechanics are pretty bad. i walk a lot of people and barely use my lower half. i work 3 days a week trying to fix it. here is a video of me pitching

here is also a video of me trying to fix it and incorporate my lower half, but the problem as you can see, is me falling over because my front leg isn’t strong.

anyways, do you think i have a shot at D1 or D2, and any constructive criticism is welcomed[/youtube]

May have missed it but how old or what grade are you?

Falling off to the side isn’t necessarily a strength issue. Could be a lack of postural stability early in the delivery or a timing issue resulting in early shoulder rotation. Would need better videos (that 2nd video shows up sideways for me) to diagnose.

Sorry, i forgot to include my age. Im turning 16 at the end of July. Currently a sophomore in HS.

First off why are you asking us if your good enough? Sorry to be blunt but its all depends on the effort you put in. First thing I noticed is 6’ 150lbs? Eat some McDonalds or something. I’m 5’10" and im around 180, before I gained weight I was 155, but once I gained weight (mostly from eating alot) I noticed I threw harder. 75 mph at 16 isn’t bad but it isn’t great, I’d say its about average for your age, would be good to get a number off a gun so you know what your working with. Deff work on your mechanics, I study alot of pros (normally guys around my size throwing 95+).

Who knows if your good enough?
I guess your basing this on velocity. You mentioned having a change but struggling to throw it for strikes. Coaches are going to want to see a good difference in speed between the FB and change, no matter the FB velocity. If you throwing your FB at, say, 85 and your change at 75 there is a better chance it will be effective than throwing them withing a couple of miles per hour of each other. But will have to throw all your pitches for strikes.
If your nervous about the events then just view them as a learning tool. See where other guys are (who cares if they ALL throw harder, you are there for YOU). Find out what your velocity really is. Guessing your velocity is pointless really, your guessing 75…could be 71 and it could be 79. So, see where your velo really is, ask questions, gets feed back on what you need to do to improve. You still have time to improve.
You dont seem unathletic in your videos, which is good, decent size, room to get much bigger and stronger.
I know two lefties who graduated high school a year ago, one was topping out at 72, he found a small technicial school to pitch at and is doing well (they worked with him and have added some velo). The other was throwing high 70s and went to a JC where he is struggling. My point is, there are a lot of college options out there. Being lefthanded and pitching is like being 7 feet tall in basketball…coaches have to find reasons not to like you. You have parents who care about what your doing and want to see you succeed. So, you have an advantage or two. Some guys are 6’ 5" and left handed or roll out of bed and throw 90 because of natural mechanics or a super loose arm, you dont have those kind of advantages. So what?
Basically, not to be blunt, but while mom and dad are well intentioned it doesnt matter what they think in terms of where you project. What you need is objective feedback. Go to the showcase and listen and ask questions. Find a good pitching coach to help with control and mechanics. Work your butt off and you will find your place.
If you want to see what the journey from average high school lefty in his Soph/Junior year to a guy who ended up at a major D 1 school, read Lanky Lefties blog. He was where you are now and made it happen. It will give you an insight into what kind of work it takes.

This is my belief. This doesn’t mean you or for that matter your parents are wrong. This is only what one person thinks.

And with that, I will say that what your parents believe you will accomplish has nothing to do with what you will eventually accomplish. You must look in the mirror and ask yourself if you want to pursue pitching.

You’ve got the time. Though, simply being lefthanded is not a surefire way to have success at the college level. Being a dedicated disciplined pitcher and all round person is more like it. You can’t make yourself have the desire, you just have to discover if it really is there. Some people are afraid to look. If you find out you really don’t want to commit to the time and effort, then you risk disappointing someone close to you. If you find out it is there, you understand that the road ahead is filled with sacrifices, hard work and mostly uphill travel.

The showcase won’t make or break you. Showcase companies are competing for dollars and they don’t mind recruiting kids who aren’t ready yet. And they often pitch it to the parents because that’s where the money is. My guess is there will be fewer coaches and scouts than you think. Go find something to enjoy about the whole thing.

Who knows, maybe someone can teach you a good curve ball? A lefty without a curve ball is like [quote]Aunt Jamima’s pancakes without the syrup, it’s like a spring without a fall, there’s only one thing worse, in this universe, and that’s no Aunt Jamima’s at all.[/quote]

You’re 15. There’s a long way to go. The question is not what your parents or anyone else wants, it’s what do you want.

Look, it takes a lot of hard work and dedication reach higher levels of the game. Your parents can’t give it to you, only you can make the commitment to get stronger, bigger, and hone your craft every day, if that’s your goal.