Altitude effecting pitch movement

I live in Colorado and recently I heard that altitude effects how much movement a pitch has. I was just wondering if there is any sort of truth to this?

I would assume the ball carries more. But I also assume the ball would move less because there is less air resistance affecting its path.

exactly, to go in perspective, think about swimming in water, you can go forward because you move your arm and your arm catches throught water you cant do that if theres no water. thats basically what high altitude do to your pitches. dont ask yourself why pitchers in rockies organization usually dont have grea curveballs. + when they go on the road the ball moves more making it difficult to control.

But the rockies also get the advantage of training in high altitudes and therefore better efficiency of their lungs to use oxygen

I live at a higher altitude than Denver and my knuckleball moves just fine and my fastball moves quite a bit. I’m at about 7,000 feet above sea level.

Altitude isn’t as big a deal as people think it is. Sure there is a slight decrease in movement but, if you know how to throw it, a pitch moves just as much.

[quote=“Pustulio”]I live at a higher altitude than Denver and my knuckleball moves just fine and my fastball moves quite a bit. I’m at about 7,000 feet above sea level.

Altitude isn’t as big a deal as people think it is. Sure there is a slight decrease in movement but, if you know how to throw it, a pitch moves just as much.[/quote]

Baseball is a game of inches!

So maybe at your level it doesn’t matter but at the level where minuscule amounts matter, this will matter.

If it’s thrown correctly, the ball will move just the same. You gotta’ know how to adjust to the altitude. I’ve lived at a high altitude my whole life, so yeah I’ve adjusted.

I wonder then what my knuckler would look like in a low altitude area like Miamia, Boston, New Orleans or some other place.

it would probably go to the batter then stop and go back to you then stop and go back to the batter. :shock: :shock: :shock:

That would be the nastiest pitch ever.

Hey spence and pilldom, get on the chat room so we can do some talki talki.