Almost 18 months later-now 14 years old-please help again

First posted our son in this forum on June 17, 2009 (Title: 12year old new pitcher)
First clip is Brett last year (just before turning 13)

2nd is from July, 2010 (just before turning 14) tournament in Rehoboth Beach:

Next one is from today. He is now 14 (2014 Grad) and has pitched for 2 full seasons (as much of a season as we can get up in the Great White North). He is currently 6’2" and is just over 175lbs. Now on a Prospect team (16U) and will fully train year round, so that is exciting. Anyways…you guys were all such a great wealth of knowledge the first time and I’m hoping you can help this Baseball Mom out once again.

Comments/critiques/advice very much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Lisa

To get the link to display, after you paste it on the post, simply hi-lite it again and hit the YouTube button…then leave it alone.
He certainly has gotten much better over time Posse.

Thanks JD. Not sure how I managed to get them up there but your directions are nice and simple for next time.

Thanks for your comment about Brett. Remember how bad his glove side was in the very 1st videos…LOL! He hasn’t had too much actual time pitching as he played alot of 1st and RF as well this past season. Still, he does seem to be coming along. Pitching is what he loves though and we’re really hoping he gets the training he needs (no more Mom coaching!! :stuck_out_tongue: ) over the next 12 months.

Anything you see that needs correcting…please let me know.

I think he does a lot of good things - but one thing I would change would be the over-rotation. He is showing his back to the hitter and rotating over his back leg; instead he should stay sideways and work to land slightly more to the left. Currently, he is landing a bit too closed. I like how he brings his lead leg back in line with his rear leg once he brings the leg down from the lift but he needs to work to keep that front foot sideways as long as possible and turn it toward the plate just before landing.

[quote=“structuredoc”]… he needs to work to keep that front foot sideways as long as possible and turn it toward the plate just before landing.[/quote]Bingo!! Nice catch structuredoc.

That front foot turns to point at the plate much too early. Keep it sideways longer and, while doing so, focus on the side of the left hip driving at the target, longer, and not the toes of the left foot. The hip.

Like jd said, lots of improvement happening over time there.

Hi StrucDoc and DM!

Thanks for taking the time to watch and comment on my son. I really do appreciate any help we can get from this site. Once again, you guys make me see things I never even noticed before:

Over rotation: Got it! I see now how he is all twisted up when he should probably be much straighter at the ‘balance point’ (?) of his delivery. I thought he was supposed to ‘show his number’ or whatever you call it. Are you supposed to do that but just not as much as he does?

Driving with the hip: I see that too. I have told him that he should ‘fall(drive) sideways into’ his pitch kind of thing but am unsure how to actually describe that properly. Any ideas?

Staying closed: Now you guys have got me! It was said of him before but I just don’t understand exactly what it means, what to look for and how to have him do things differently in order to fix that. :? I’ve tried constantly stopping/starting the video to try to get a grasp on it but it’s just not working. I guess it would help to take videos using something a bit better than a stupid Blackberry, right! :roll:

Anyways, sorry for the long post but I’m just trying to get a few things sorted with him while he can still throw outside. I keep preaching the ‘muscle memory’ thing and I sure don’t want him to continue memorizing the wrong things! Thanks again for your help!

Posse,

Regarding over-rotation: No, he does not want to show his number. He should work to just keep his shoulders sideways as long as possible; same thing with his hips. Basically, stay sideways to the target with everything until just before landing. The rotation part of the delivery occurs once the foot lands. Prior to that, he is trying to generate as much linear momentum as possible by moving fast into a long, low stride.

Regarding driving with the hips: I have always taught to have the pitcher think of a little man standing directly behind the rubber and as soon as the lead leg starts to come down from the lift, the little man is pushing his back hip hard toward the target - this gets the pitcher to always “lead with the hips”. You want the hips to go forward before the shoulders so that the weight remains on the back leg - from here it’s a “lunge” or a “drive” toward the plate by pushing off the rubber with the back foot/leg. I teach kids to think of jumping over a creek - to get to the other side the pitcher must bend the back leg and “leap” (lunge) to the other side. This gets the pitcher pushing with the rear leg rather than reaching with the front leg.

Regarding staying closed: If you watch the video starting at around :57 sec. (from behind) you will see that he lands too closed. What that means is that if you were to draw a perpendicular line to the middle of his rear foot when it is parallel to the rubber toward the target and then watch where his front foot lands, you will see that he lands to the right of that line. He needs to land either on the line or preferably just to the left of that line. This will allow his hips to fully rotate toward the plate. When you land too “closed” you tend to “throw across your body” which basically means that the hips haven’t fully opened (rotated) as the arm delivers the ball.

Hope that helps!

[quote=“structuredoc”]I have always taught to have the pitcher think of a little man standing directly behind the rubber and as soon as the lead leg starts to come down from the lift, the little man is pushing his back hip hard toward the target…[/quote]Both of these are Dick Mills teaches. The little man one is fine but the rotation occurring once the foot lands is not what the best in the business do, which is hip rotation into landing, not only after. It should be as late in the stride as possible though.

Hooray! I finally get it now!! Thanks so much for taking the time to explain that all to me. We will work on those issues as much as possible.

Anything else you guys see/notice or is the rest mostly okay?

Thanks!

dm,

You are absolutely correct with regards to rotation - I was just referring to the shoulders/torso rotating, not the hips. My point is not to focus on rotating the torso at all until landing (keeping the shoulders parallel to the target).

Thanks guys! Your comments have helped already! Brett really understood the ‘jumping the creek’ thing well. Big difference! Still working on him not twisting so much.
Hoping to post new video again soon.

Not really sure why you would want a linear drive into footplant. If you look at any high level thrower it becomes evident that they rotate violently into footplant. Some good examples would be Tim Lincecum and Zack Greinke, who both counter rotate a lot.

A linear drive is preferred until just before foot plant. This is to avoid leg-swinging into landing. The counter-rotation early in the delivery has little/no advantage - you still need the hips driving laterally to the target until just before foot plant. Then the front foot turns toward the target as the hips rotate.

Just because MLBers do something doesn’t always make it optimal for youth pitchers to emulate. It’s likely that Lincecum would be just as effective (maybe more so) if he didn’t counter rotate.