All the the work offseason comes down to this!

Well, after moving to another state, I made my new highschools team.
I get the joys of proving myself all over again.

Games start this coming week and we intersquaded today.

2IP 4K’s 1ER

Not a bad line, but I had 2BB and 4R total.

I have to say, for playing a winter high school sport as well, my offseason gains were solid. My fastball is noticably different, I was getting a lot more peopel swinging through it than I would have last year. The changeup was devastating so I’m pretty happy with that.

Hopefully I’ll see the “fruits of my labor” in the coming season. Really it has got me more pumped up to start my training all over again, come the end of summer ball. Progression is key, and at 16 years of age I’m still growing a bit.

Weight gain remains the biggest problem. Currently standing at 6’1" and only 150lbs. I’m confident that I would add velocity with that alone. Continued research to help, but my findings make it appear that I may just be stuck unless something big happens. A few studies showed that specifically the body type I match up with ramps up the metabolism when eating more calories, basically your burns more calories and you still don’t gain weight.

The studies had people eat 1000 calories over their regular average. Multiple subjects only gained 1 pound in 8 weeks. The logical math would say you should gain around 15 pounds in 8 weeks on that diet. (3500 calories extra = 1 pound gained)

Awesome centerfield! I wish you the best of luck the rest of the season, and yes, our body types flat out suck!

I notice the exact the same thing… The more I eat, the more I burn! :x It sucks, but with consistency, and dedication, you can make it happen! Good luck!

Dear Centerfield:

It sounds like your hard work is paying off. Keep up the good work! It is nice to see that playing a winter sport paid off. By using this cross-training method, you have tried to develop as a whole athlete instead of picking a single sport. In the stages of training, you by chance, used the variance method to achieve muscle development and improved coordination. By training in this fashion, your body will be able to perform sport specific tasks with more force and explosiveness. I wish more athletes used this type of training. If you ever read Scout’s Honor, they have an entire chapter on Jeff Francoeur from the Atlanta Braves. He readily states that playing football greatly helped his ability in baseball. He also admits that he never would have been drafted if it wasn’t for the competitive edge he learned in football.

Good Luck…

Weight gain will happen, don’t worry about that so much. Work on mechanics. @ 6’1" you have great leverage. Look to guys like Weaver, Pedro. and maddux. these guys have had a great success and i would not classify them as huge. Weaver is 6’5" but skinny, Pedro and maddux arn’t even 6’ but are still able to pitch. I guess i am saying learn to PITCH, not throw hard.

[quote=“griz28”]Weight gain will happen, don’t worry about that so much. Work on mechanics. @ 6’1" you have great leverage. Look to guys like Weaver, Pedro. and maddux. these guys have had a great success and i would not classify them as huge. Weaver is 6’5" but skinny, Pedro and maddux arn’t even 6’ but are still able to pitch. I guess i am saying learn to PITCH, not throw hard.[/quote]Great post. Congrats centerfield, keep working hard now, don’t think you’ve done enough at anytime during your training or season.

Interesting day, we played a brand new school so there JV was young and weak,

5IP 12K’s 0R

I threw a ton of strikes so that’s not bad. Time to get the season rolling. I really need to start hitting though.

Definately learn to pitch is key, pitching is upsetting timing (Spahn). I’ve been a “control” pitcher all my life. I’m pleased with my fastball this season, but I felt like I had could have gained a bit more had I not played another sport. At the same time to get any looks from decent college programs I would still say a righty needs mid-upper 80’s. I’m confident I can reach that while still in high school, but it’s a long road ahead. I actually enjoy training and such so I’m pretty excited to where it could take me.