All college baseballs now have flatter seams - What impact will they have?

Beginning this past fall, college baseball implemented a new baseball with flatter seams. I was reading some recent reports from college coaches and many are saying their pitchers are noticing no difference.

About an hour ago, I posted a comment to my facebook page and posted a link to an article about the same thing. Also, the balls this year will travel farther at a lower exit velocity. The flat seams will definitely help pitchers avoid blisters. I noticed a big difference between a HS ball and a pro ball due to the seams.

Picked up a few of the new balls and it is a significant difference. The new composite (??if that makes sense) of the ball is part of it too. I have gone to a few college games and the balls seemed to be flying all over the place…multiple HRs in each game. Maybe that is related to the ball, maybe not.
I am interested to see if pitchers think it has a negative impact on movement.

Curves, sliders, cutters, and 2SFB will break less I presume, giving greater advantage to the hitter.

plaz

3h

Curves, sliders, cutters, and 2SFB will break less I presume, giving greater advantage to the hitter.

I would probably phrase it as reducing the pitcher’s advantage, but what you are saying is correct. I read a study–which I can’t find right now-the raised seams allow for more drag but a rotational rate that decreases more quickly. The flatter seam ball can be spun faster, but grabs less air due to decreased drag. I read somewhere else that a curveball rotates about 13 times from release to the mitt. Can anyone substantiate this?