Alex S pitching analysis - low and outside pitching fault?

My son Alex is a RHP, 12 years old, pitching in Majors division. He’s pretty tall for his age and consistently throws north of 60 MPH (from what I’m told). About a month ago, he threw a complete game shutout with 10Ks and 2 walks. However, in his last two games, he’s been issued many more walks, and even he says that he is consistently throwing low and outside (to right handed hitters), even when he wants to throw down the middle for a strike.

To complicate matters, about 2 weeks ago, he got a new glove, a Rawlings Gold Glove Gamer 12", which he says is noticeably heavier than his old glove.

I’ve taken freeze frames of videos of him pitching, and it seems like in the past month, his left (glove hand) has moved about 6 inches lower at heelstrike (perhaps due to the new, heavier glove?), which I’m thinking is causing him to open up to home plate earlier. But I never played baseball as a kid, so I’m just guessing.

Here’s a video of an unintentional outside and low pitch – 2nd pitch of the game, already down 1 ball, no strikes. (All the other low and outside balls look identical to the untrained eye.)

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

You are all over it with the glove arm positioning. I also notice that his foot strikes pretty open towards the first base line. At around the 0:02 mark you see his knee tracking outside of his landing ankle. That is energy being transferred in the wrong direction. Both of those things are pulling him away from the straight line to the plate and making his pitches jerk down that line, missing low and outside. The flipside of that coin is a high and inside pitch - different symptom, same issue.

A slight correction of both is all it will take, as your son throws with AWESOME intent. Not many 12 year olds rear back and get some like that. Next time he throws, have him really focus on staying closed with his front side. When his hands break think thumbs-down-elbows-up and think of that lead elbow as the rifle sight to the mitt. Tell him then to drive his sternum/chest straight at the catchers mitt and don’t allow it to deviate to the first base side at all.

His landing foot is just a minor correction that he can make in a few days. Just make him conscious of it being slightly open and maybe create a mark or something to encourage a slightly more closed lead foot. Honestly I think it will almost correct itself if he gets himself started on a straighter line.

Overall, he just needs to get a little more linear to the plate and remove any energy transfer off the direct line to the catcher’s mitt.