After weighted ball training completed, then what?

We have been working our with the over/under weighted ball pitching
program you published. It is working very well so far.

We have a goal of getting my son Jeremy up to 90mph with his fastball.
He will be pitching at a Div III school next yr locally.
Jeremy has been on the program about 5 weeks now, he started our
topping out at 84mph, but recently has been consistantly been clocking
85-87, topping out at 89.
I was wondering what we do after we complete the training schedule
with the weighted balls, this should end mid/late Aug.
What do we do to maintain the improvement over the fall and winter to
get ready for the spring, and should we do another short program of weighted ball before the spring season?

He was topping at 84 then jumped to 89? Geez, thats rad. How tall is he? I think im gonna hit them up, i top at 86. Do you think I could get up to 90mph in 3 months?

you should do light weighted push ups with different variations of them, and light weighted dips and pull ups. That will jump your velocity some more. Make sure you do tons of them though.

There is another forum about pushups, you might wanna check that out before you jump into that.

coach_j1955

“I was wondering what we do after we complete the training schedule
with the weighted balls, this should end mid/late Aug. What do we do to maintain the improvement over the fall and winter to get ready for the spring.”

Assuming your son is not playing fall ball, take a rest from throwing for a few months. Start a baseball-specific strength and conditioning program, with weight lifting and flexibility initially, adding plyometrics and sprint interval conditioning 6-8 weeks prior to the start of the practice.

“and should we do another short program of weighted ball before the spring season?”

Yes. Start it again two-three months prior to the start of practice. To maintain the velocity and conditioning gains made thereby, do one weighted ball workout per week during the competitive season. Continue with the other strength and conditioning work, transitioning to an in-season amount of work when appropriate.

Keep in mind, weighted ball training is just like any other type of conditioning. The effects and progress will dissipate if it is completely dropped. Hence the need for the maintenance work.