After TJ surgery

ok so anyone had this surgery before? i joined the club unfortunately and im wondering what kind of exercises that people do on their own specifically for pitchers…i havent started my rehab yet, but am set to start this coming week…

Follow the rehab to a ‘T’

Don’t go over board on anything.

Do EXACTLY what they tell you.

well i knew that but besides that…?

I haven’t heard of ANY Pitcher’s who do ANYTHING “on their own” that weren’t exercises that they were told to do by THEIR Physiotherapists or Surgeons as per their rehab protocol.

Ditto what Wales said - you shouldn’t be doing anything on your own. :nono:

Every comment I’ve heard from people who have had or whose son has had TJ surgery says that a successful return relies entirely on following the doctor’s orders exactly and not trying to speed up the process. It’s going to take time and you need to accept that. Failure to follow this advice will only lengthen the recovery time and might even prevent a full recovery.

[quote=“Roger”]Ditto what Wales said - you shouldn’t be doing anything on your own. :nono:

Every comment I’ve heard from people who have had or whose son has had TJ surgery says that a successful return relies entirely on following the doctor’s orders exactly and not trying to speed up the process. It’s going to take time and you need to accept that. Failure to follow this advice will only lengthen the recovery time and might even prevent a full recovery.[/quote]

How did pedro ‘recover’ faster than was expected then?

I have no idea. I knew he was injured but didn’t realize he had TJ surgery. What’s normal recovery time and how long did Pedro take?

He had shoulder surgery but still

Maybe Pedro’s injury was such that it was possible to speed up the recovery process with more work. Remember that pro athletes that the advantage of being able to devote all of their time to such things. The rest of us have to go to work or school. :cry:

That hit it on the head along with the fact that the PT he received was more then likely more advanced then what a College or HS Pitcher would receive.

Prime example is the PT that any guy in the Yanks org. goes through after having TJ. It’s supposed to be the best rehab out there and no one outside of the organization has access to it.

Pedro I’m sure was dealing with some of the best care in world.

tommy john takes a year+ and there are no short cuts. up side, you could come back better than before. bad side, may be done if you don’t follow what they say exactly. and even then it could be tough. all you can do is exactly what they say.

The simple answer is NOTHING!. You don’t don’t do anything on your own.
Follow your doctor’s and PT’s program EXACTLY.

The improvements in this procedure over the years has been tremendous and the success rates are now very high as long as the patient follows the rehab protocol.

I’m sure your doctor has explained that he took a tendon (likely from your wrist area) and replaced your damaged Ulnar Colateral Ligament with it. This tendon will take 12-18 months to become as strong as your original ligament, assuming proper rehab.

You are getting a second chance and with proper rehab you have a good chance of coming back as strong or stronger than before. Take your time. Do it right. Don’t blow this opportunity.

[quote=“tfree20116”]The simple answer is NOTHING!. You don’t don’t do anything on your own.
Follow your doctor’s and PT’s program EXACTLY.

The improvements in this procedure over the years has been tremendous and the success rates are now very high as long as the patient follows the rehab protocol.

I’m sure your doctor has explained that he took a tendon (likely from your wrist area) and replaced your damaged Ulnar Colateral Ligament with it. This tendon will take 12-18 months to become as strong as your original
ligament, assuming proper rehab.

You are getting a second chance and with proper rehab you have a good chance of coming back as strong or stronger than before. Take your time. Do it right. Don’t blow this opportunity.[/quote]

they didnt take it from my wrist, they took a piece of a hamstring off of a cadaver. i’ve heard horror stories about people actually having more probs with the spot they took the piece from than with the actual part being fixed. plus the hamstring is stronger than a piece from ur wrist.

im not stupid guys…i have done my research…i was just wondering if anyone had come across anything at all that is specifically aimed at pitchers…

Your rehab should be specifically for Pitching, IF you’re surgeon and PT know that you Pitch…

If you want an interesting read, read Saving the Pitcher, there’s a great chapter in there about TJ rehab.

good news…just went for another checkup with my doc and they said i should be throwin almost good by april then it will just be a matter of gettin the pitching back…they said im healing really fast

If you have any specific questions about the rehab, the ITP, the comeback, or anything at all with Tommy John’s, direct them to me. I’m 15 months post-op so I’ve been through the whole thing.

Wales is right, too. Saving the Pitcher is an overall great book, but the chapter for Tommy John’s is really, really good.

glad to hear that you are recovering very fast, the main thing is try not to rush it especially when you are getting back on the mound, you might feel like a million bucks but your elbow is still going to need some time. Be patient and it will come with time.

your new name is frankenstein (or frankie), or digger. that is amazing that they can get the body to accept forgien tissue like that. hope it works. keep us posted.