Afraid of getting hit

This is only my 2nd time playing Little League, I’m 12.

Last season it took me 16 games to get a hit, now it’s only taken me 5 to get 2 hits(even though I never keep my eye on the ball). But, ok, let’s get to the point.

Every time I go up to bat, and someone fast is throwing it. I freak out. My legs start shaking, I’m even more scared now. I was hit square in the elbow about 2 weeks ago…I was really affected by that. How should I get over my fright of getting hit?

I don’t believe anyone here can help you with that.

I don’t mean to be a jerk, but maybe you ought to find something else to do, bowling, or basketball maybe. Because you are going to get hit by pitchers and it will hurt. Won’t kill you or cause any permanent damage, you are posting here after all, but it will leave a mark.

I hate heights, but love to deer hunt. I love hunting more than I hate heights, so I suck it up and climb a tree…

You’ve just got to suck it up and say “It only hurts for a little bit.” I’ve been hit in the face before and it hurts like hell, I had a nearly detatched retina, a bruised eyeball (yes the ball not the area around my eye), and I was blind in that eye for about a week, it took me a while to get back to being able to catch a ball and hit a ball not only because of the fear but my depth perception was so screwed up, I considered quitting. But you have to look deep down into yourself and decide, “Do I love baseball more than I hate pain or am I done?” and I realized baseball is my life and I couldn’t let it go no matter what.

[quote=“raysman1”]This is only my 2nd time playing Little League, I’m 12.

Last season it took me 16 games to get a hit, now it’s only taken me 5 to get 2 hits(even though I never keep my eye on the ball). But, ok, let’s get to the point.

Every time I go up to bat, and someone fast is throwing it. I freak out. My legs start shaking, I’m even more scared now. I was hit square in the elbow about 2 weeks ago…I was really affected by that. How should I get over my fright of getting hit?[/quote]

I was scared of getting hit when I was your age, then i realized something: The pitcher spends all day practicing hitting the catcher in the mitt and it just so happens that mitt isn’t behind you. You just have to trust the pitcher.

When I was your age I was scared of a ball coming no faster than 60 miles an hour. Now I crowd the plate against guys that are throwing 85+, the only difference is trust and knowing that if it’s coming at me I can just turn my back.

:slight_smile:

Good luck!

I have to agree with SomeBaseballDad on this one I was hit 3 times in one game I wasn’t effected maybe because it was your first time your freaked out maybe it’ll take a couple beanings to not be scared or find a different sport.

Honestly, I just think you need to get hit a couple more times to understand you’ll be ok, and heck, you get a free base out of it.

Here is my formula: I get plunked alot and who am i pissed at? The pitcher. As soon as I get to 1st, I steal 2nd. Then I steal 3rd. Then the pitcher is pissed, his head is on you and not the batter and he ends up blowing up on the mound, and your team( if they dont suck) will have a big inning. Then the opponent has to call on a softtosser and you aarent afraid anymore and you get some hits. This formula only works if you got good speed, or the catcher has a crappy arm. Trust me it works though. It takes one little thing to win a ballgame.

That may work in those 12u leagues Kevin but in a older age division you can’t just steal at will like that, you’ll have to be really fast, and know what pitches to go on, don’t get me wrong you can still steal but just not all the time.

Remember you don’t have to be fast to steal I’m pretty slow but I stole 5 bases this last year because I get good jumps and I know which pitch to go on and when it’s the appropriate situation.

good point

Good pitcher at 12 or 13 will just work the inside of the zone just to see you jump a couple more times. Get some armor for your arm and step in ready to take 1st on either a hit or being hit. Good Luck.

i would say this is something that naturally gets worked out with time. Funny story, I was also afraid of being hit, my legs didnt shake but i backed off the plate very easily. The one summer when I was 11 I was like a human target for pitchers. I got hit I would say 20 times in 14 games. After that? Meh, I welcome it, it’s a free base after all. You know the phrase “A walk is as good as a hit” It holds true if you get beamed.

Being afraid to get hit isn’t something you should be shy about or something that should make you quit baseball…
It’s sucks but when I look around me I’ve seen a lot of guys that were very afraid but nowadays, while they grew up, they just don’t care that much…

The ball on your elbow must have hurt but like 90% of all hit-by-pitches aren’t that painful at all! They get against your upperarm, leg or torso and it just doesn’t hurt. You’re mind makes it hurt… when you think a hit-by-pitch will hurt it really DOES hurt. So try to teach yourself that a hit-by-pitch doesn’t hurt and focus on the benefits (free walk, point?) rather then then pain.

Most of the times when I get hit (what I just hate because that means I lost my opportunity to drive the ball out of the park… and that sucks instead of the pain etc. :wink:) I just want to beat (while batting, not physically!) the hell out of this pitcher the next time… It just that extra motivation to really give it all…

bottom-line:
Yes, it does hurt from time till time BUT it’s part of the game you love and if you wouldn’t see it as a scary, negative part of baseball it isn’t that bad at all.

My first AB of this year was against a pitcher throwin upper 60’s low 70’s. the 4th pitch hits me right between my shoulders on my spine. When it hit me i fell to the ground. I popped right back up jogged down to 1st then stole 2nd on the first pitch to the next batter. When i was younger i’d get hit every single game, and eventually i just got used to it. It’s gonna happen, but when it does you just gotta shake it off and keep goin.