Advice

I am a 21 year old college pitcher, this is my first post. just seeing what people say, or to hear some comments. i throw 82-86mph.

cool website so far

[/GVideo]

Good balance on your post, you could probably get your hips moving a little more powerfully to home and you could flatten your back a little more at the extent of the pitch. I am not totally for sure since you aren’t on a mound and that could impact the way you throw.

ill get one off a mound soon.

any drills to increase hip rotation speed, or more vigorously like you pointed out?

Darren:

Couple of ways you can use your hips (and lower half) to create more efficiency & power.

Google/youtube the Herschiser drill… focuses on early momentum to the plate by leading with the hip. When they say early they mean just right before peak knee lift in the balance point. The videos will explain & show the supporting drill.

I cant think of any drills but I think you could “sit” more on your stride & ride the back leg for more power & also length of stride. Some like the “drop & drive” technique for striding & some prefer the “fall” technique. You seem to be the latter, but without the use of the ground & back leg as much as it could be of use.

There are several components of the kinetic chain of events in pitching that result in our fished product. Each has its importance, but it never hurts to analyze & evaluate those that occur early in the process & have the most impact (lower half/core, hips & legs).

Another key piece is the speed & timing of the release of the hips. I dont see a lot of conversation on the matter, but hip flexibility & strength are critical to pitching. Flexibility maybe more so than anything.

Lincecum. The name alone elicits an immediate image of power & beauty while performed by an undersized guy. Vastly undersized at that.

He has/does a couple of things better than anyone… maybe ever.

1. hip & shoulder seperation
  2. stride length

(not to mention the speeed of his movements & balance)

The key to all of those “freakish” traits? FLEXIBILITY.

Google hip flexibility… how to evaluate it & how to gain it. I’m not sure people appreciate the value of flexibility & how easily it can be lost but also gained. If there is a more important aspect of pitching (general no brainer mechanics aside) that can be as easily, quickly & positively effected as flexibility I have considered it.

You throw 82-86? That’s pretty damn good. <.005 of the world can do that. If you took your current success, skills, mechanics & physicality & tweaked a few things look out.

If you were my student/son I would get a chiropractor (check flexibility) yoga instructor (create more flexibility & strength) & four sessions with an NPA approved pitching coach (minor mechanical tweaks).

Herschiser drill makes me want to tilt my shoulders back. i should be keeping them level?

the NPA guys want level shoulders & ASMI sez its healthier… I actually teach my son to tilt a bit.

leaving the head over the back leg & still over the rubber is what causes the tilt. Dont just collapse the hip & leave everything else behind.

Youtube “RHP Roy Oswalt Pitching Mechanics” and you’ll see a great 1B view in slo motion. See how he not only gets his hips leading, but takes everything with it but the back foot.

That video was actually hosted by one of this sites most popular/posted users “laflippin”. He has some great clips on youtube… thx laflippin!

Look at where your head & back knee are @ hand break or any other point aerly in the video. Stop the Oswalt (or Randy Johnson) video & you’ll see that they are 12-18" further down the mound at that same point.

Another thing to look at is your arm position before/at foot strike. You get into the high cock/ready position when your foot is still 12-15" off the ground… well before it should.

I’ve been told that staying back on the mound too long or hanging on the back side contributes too this timing error. My son has the same issue.

I’m hoping his development of early momentum created by leading with the hip before his knee lift is completed in combo with not “hanging” over the rubber/back leg will help.

Think about it… Assuming we were exact equals… if I were to get a 5 yard running head start in a 50 yd race you’d never win. Early and constant motion directly at the target is critical.

Look for a Nolan Ryan video (Chris O’leary has a website with a great 1b view). He’s never stagnant over the rubber. Glides right thru it in the wind up & gets everything but the back foot off it asap when he’s in the stretch.

Continued luck & success! I wish I had your health, skill, interest & oppty at your age. This site is the best place to analyze/learn & explore pitching on the net… some pretty solid info from solid pitching minds on here.

excuss my friends language, but here are 3 videos from today on my youtube channel.

i tried to lead with the hip more and it increased speed and accuracy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gcddarren?feature=mhum

Next thing would be to try an flatten your back more at the finsh of the pitch, it almost looks like you might be standing up just before release vs reaching down across your left knee and flattening your back to use your entire body to throw.

When I was a kid I would go to the original Yankee Stadium every chance I got, and I would watch the Yankees’ Big Three guys in particular. It seemed they were all doing the same thing—they were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous (and, it seemed to me, seamless) motion, and that was how they were generating the power behind their pitches—not to mention throwing harder and faster with less effort, even Ed Lopat who was by no means a fireballer. I saw just how they were doing it—and the “Hershiser” drill, or a variant of it, seems to be an integral part of the process. I made a note of what they were doing and started practicing it on my own, and as I worked on this I found that I was doing the same thing those guys were doing. Not only was I throwing harder and faster, even with my lack of speed, my natural sidearm delivery had more snap and sizzle to it, and not a sore arm or a sore elbow or a sore shoulder or a sore anything else!
I called this “The Secret”, and I’ve been sharing it with all who are interested. Whether a fireballer or a snake-jazzer, one can benefit from this. :slight_smile: