Advice on hitting spots

When ever i pitch i can hit the spots the catcher tells me probably about 4times out of 10. Any advice on how to throw where the catcher tells you?

Don’t aim but focus and throw your entire body to the spot. Try not to force it, relax and just allow your mechanics to do the job.

There’s a drill I used to do when I was a little snip. I would get a good catcher, and we would mark off a home plate and a pitcher’s rubber 60’6" apart—or if we had access to a playing field he would get behind the plate and I’d go on the mound. Then we would play a little game we called “ball and strike”. The objective was for me to sharpen up my control and to practice hitting the spots. The catcher would position his mitt high, low, inside, outside, on the corners, every which way, and I had to get the ball into the pocket of the mitt—what a satisfying feeling to hear that resounding “thwack!” when that happened—and I had to do it with all my pitches, curve ball, knuckle-curve, palm ball, what have you, at different speeds. (I didn’t have a fast ball to speak of.) And later on, when I acquired my nice assortment of snake jazz, I continued to work this way. It paid off handsomely. :slight_smile: 8)

hitting spots is all about your release point, once you find it you have to keep it, but if you try and change it remember, it might only be a very small change, because going from inside to outside might be just a small adjustment, you just have to know where that release point is

Oh, did I forget to mention—I was a natural sidearmer with a consistent release point. No problem.

Good responses. Something that I think gets overlooked is believing, a huge part of the mental game.

Do you really think you can hit our goto spot atleast 8 our of 10 times? We all know the cocky player that has horrible mound presence and often times shows up the other team, but that guy believes in himself. Not saying to be cocky, but really visualizing and knowing that your going to make your pitch is a huge piece of the puzzle for any pitcher.