Advice needed

I am 13.I throw around 50-55 and i don’t have very much arm strength, what should i do to increase velocity on my fastball?
Also what else should i throw i have a pretty good curve to go with that?

you shouldn’t throw curve at that age
it messes ur arm
so dont throw the curve
pitching velocity all comes from ur legs, not ur upper body
work on ur lower body and upper body and do a lots of running to maintain ur balance

Worry less about velocity and more about the three other things that are more important:

1. Command: hitting your spots, low, high, in, out.
  2. Change of speed: throw a 4 seam, two seam, and a change up for now. Get those pitches down with control.
  3. Movement. That is to say, ball movement. Your 4 seam will be ‘straighter’, the two seam will dip or move away from a righthanded batter if you’re righthanded, and your change up will drop like a rock!

Velocity is only the fourth most important thing about pitching, especially at your age!

Cheers;

O

I agree with orygun except your two seam should move into righties and away from lefties if you are right handed. Velocity will also come with age as you mature. At your age make sure you eat right and stay fit. As you get older then it becomes important to find yourself a workout program along with eating right.

Movement on a two seam varies alot with age , arm slot and velocity. In my experience with youth, it dips and dives away more than in to a rightie. As you age, and velocity increases, it will move less like a slider (down and away) and more like a sinker (mostly down) At that time you can play with subtleties of other directional movement. For now, though, worry about control and keeping your hand on top of the ball!

Cheers;

O

i know this seems like its a boring approach to pitching dicek18, but its the truth. not all of us are blessed with 90 mile an hour arms, and we have to work with what we have and be creative to get batters out. your still at the age where if you locate well you’ll do fine. if you mix in a change with locating your fastball thats all you’ll need until you mature enough to throw a curve.

I reccommend not throwing a curve yet. The doctors say it is what caused my arm problems.

[quote=“Orygun”]Worry less about velocity and more about the three other things that are more important:

1. Command: hitting your spots, low, high, in, out.
  2. Change of speed: throw a 4 seam, two seam, and a change up for now. Get those pitches down with control.
  3. Movement. That is to say, ball movement. Your 4 seam will be ‘straighter’, the two seam will dip or move away from a righthanded batter if you’re righthanded, and your change up will drop like a rock!

Velocity is only the fourth most important thing about pitching, especially at your age![/quote]
Although I don’t completely disagree with the priority of things here, I will caution that developing solid mechanics that allow for velocity should NOT be compromised in favour of some that result in location, for example, but are different from those for velo. If a kid uses certain mechanics that are great for location, when will he ever learn what he’ll need for velo?

My point is that development of good mechanics is paramount. The result of which is good pitching, meaning command, change of speed, and movement. Velocity is also a result of good mechanics. However, if one has good mechanics, and the first three with average velocity, then he’s doing fine… especially at this age.
Never meant to say to sacrifice or compromise anything!

Cheers;

O

Gotcha. Agreed. Still want the kids out there reading this to know that it is possible to focus on the mechanics that give them success with location but can very well be different than what will produce velo. They CAN be very different things. Just a caution. My suggestion is to work it all from day one.