Advice needed for offseason workout

Ive read many different articles on what to do when it comes to an off season workout and Ive noticed that some say to do full body workouts and focus a lot of core work and doing sprints, and I have also seen some about doing specific muscle workouts instead of full body workouts and to focus more on distance running. So im looking for some advice as to what exactly should I be doing. If anyone can give me some sort of workout plan that would be great as well.

i would focus alot on sprints. You want to be explosive. Distance running is a definiite know. When you pitch, when are you ever going to need to run 5 miles. Never. you want to be extremely explosive.

Another thing. Go for strength and try to pick a program like starting strength. Focus mainly on these 3 lifts:

Deadlift
Squat
Row

I personally love the bench press. But alot of people would argue with me.

You want every part of you to be strong, so don’t neglect any specific body part

Antyhing else you need bro[/b]

[quote=“BarryBonds999”]i would focus alot on sprints. You want to be explosive. Distance running is a definiite know. When you pitch, when are you ever going to need to run 5 miles. Never. you want to be extremely explosive.

Another thing. Go for strength and try to pick a program like starting strength. Focus mainly on these 3 lifts:

Deadlift
Squat
Row

I personally love the bench press. But alot of people would argue with me.

You want every part of you to be strong, so don’t neglect any specific body part

Antyhing else you need bro[/b][/quote]
Ok thanks so I will def. focus more on sprinting then doing long distance running. And then when it comes to lifting I should do a strength program focusing a lot on the three exercises you said right? Do you have any workout programs I could follow or examples of one?

a lifting program like WS4SBIII by Joe Defranco or this from eric cressey are great options…

they both include plenty of deadlifting, squatting and rowing if you’re wondering.

[quote=“LankyLefty”]a lifting program like WS4SBIII by Joe Defranco or this from eric cressey are great options…

they both include plenty of deadlifting, squatting and rowing if you’re wondering.[/quote]
Thanks a lot! that site helps a lot!

also should i be doing heavy weight for my lifting? or stick with a lower weight and more reps?

Depends what you’re trying to do. If you want to tone up, lower weight more reps. If you’re trying to build up, lower reps, higher weight.

this isn’t really true…in fact it’s pretty much the opposite even though you hear this myth all the time.

I did a quick search and here’s a good post i found on the RossTraining forums

basically, low reps is better for training strength and higher reps is better for building size although you get some of both at either rep range.

http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7372

"Expression of human strength in humans is mainly determined by the following factors:

1. Neural adaptations
    increased CNS activation
    more efficient neural pathways and recruitment patterns
    increased neuron excitability
    better motor unit synchronization and better firing rates
    inhibition or golgi tendon organs

neural adaptations greatly improve strength in the first couple of months of the training programs , their contribution becoming very low later

1. Muscular adaptation
    hypertrophy of muscle fibers
    sarcoplasmic hypertrophy

muscular adaptations become very important after the first weeks of training . Strength expression generated by neural adaptations become
less important, and muscular adaptations become important.

1. Metabolic adapatations
    trained energetic systems becomes more efficient

As for the number of reps

Max Strength 1-3 reps ( 1RM or 90% of 1RM no shitty loads) until 6 reps
Max Neural adaptations 1-3 reps
Max Power 3-6 reps
Max metabolic optimizations 1-3 reps
Hypertrophy: myofibrilar hypertrophy EXISTS in 1-3 reps range
sarcoplasmatic 8 -12 (typical bodybuilding rep)
Endurance over 15 reps

Now, each of those qualites will be developed at any number of reps.
The ideea is that each one have an optimal range in which training will express it at the best. For example, 1-3 reps is idea for max strength,
4-6 still good , 6 - 12 so so , over 12 better than nothing

8-12 reps may be ideal for hypertrophy as another example, but they will
improve strength as well. in a less than ideal way, but they will =)

Also some of the adaptations are mutual exclusive. For example, after resistance training the number of mythocondria in the muscle cells decreases, while it increases after aerobic endurance training. Different adaptations exist as well between the different flavors of strength. This is
why is important ot identify the training goals and train accordingly."

Best advice is just get in the weight room and start lifting using good technique with moderately heavy weight for 6 months. Defranco’s WSFSB is an intermediate to advanced program better geared towards football then baseball - not to say that it won’t work, just needs some baseball specific manipulation.

Eric Cressey’s Show & Go program is a solid start. It’s got everything you need to build a good off-season strength & conditioning program, but again it’s aimed towards the intermediate lifter with some time under his belt.

From my experience, train 3x per week learning big compound movements like front squats, cleans, deadlifts, pull-ups, and push-ups while paying attention to a lot of core stability work. Spend 15-20 minutes prior to every workout performing soft tissue work, mobility, medicine ball work and plyometrics and you’ll be in good shape.

Learn to walk before you can run… downloading a program off the internet with no trainer supervision is a recipe for disaster. Just my two cents.