Advice From Parents Out There

I know this isn’t pitching related but I really need some good advice and this is the most browsed forum.

Heres the deal I’m 15, I play soccer, basketball, and baseball. I go to a small school so being an athelte will let you be a very good player considering the competition we’re playing.

The thing is I want to drop basektball and prepare for baseball. I don’t like the sport that much, but I’m not that bad of a player and I don’t know how my mom will react to me not wanting to play. My brother a year younger asked to quit the sport also but she was strongly negative towards saying no because the last week or so since soccers ended he’s been moping around the house and not doing a thing but sit on the computer. My mom knows I’m not like that though which can be a positive argument. To make this easier with less reading I’m going to chart the differnet pros and cons of convincing my parents to let me drop basektball.

Pros: My mom knows I’m not lazy and if I can get a scedule down for her that shows her I’ll be staying after until around 515 which is the normal practice time. I hurt my knee during soccer and it’s a lot easier to reinjure in basketball being more of a basketball specific injury I came across during soccer. I can use this to bring up my grades which are already at a low 90 up to a mid to high 90 having more time to focus on school work. My thought is if i am working out or throwing, doing something ahtletic for 2 hours a day at least she will be fine with it.
EDIT: Another pro is that if I have any chance of a small scholarship or anything then it would be in baseball which would affect my future, basektball won’t affect it at all.

Cons: 2 major cons, 1 is that I’m a prety good basketball player and my coach and mom wouldn’t like to see me quit. The other is my girlfriend most likely isn’t playing basketball either which has nothing to do with my decision. She actually wants me to play so she can come and watch all my games. My feeling is that my mom thinks I want to quit just to hang out with her which isn’t the case.

Any ideas on how I should approach my parents with this matter? Thanks in advance for the help.

Eh, I wouldn’t really QUIT any sport. Do you mean you won’t play for your school? I can understand if your REALLY serious, but basketball and baseball aren’t at the same time, so I don’t understand the issue. One of the problems of athletes today (especially baseball), is that they are becoming one-sport atheletes (which I know is still not your case). When you’re a one-sport athlete, you increase your risk of injury and overuse because you never can really rest. While I can understand that you still play soccer, it doesn’t seem like you need to quit basketball. Sure, you might not be a top prospect all-american player, but you can still play on the team, right? I am making assumptions about your life that I have no right to make so feel free to correct me/justify questions.

I’m also not a parent. :lol:

Well I really don’t have that much fun playing basektball either. I also want to focus on getting stronger for myself and especially baseball. I also want to get my grades up a little higher. I just think if I stop playing then I can focus on working out and playing basebeall a sport where I have a chance to get some kind of a scholarship if I try hard enough. It will need a lot of dedication but it’s something I really want to do.

Any parents out there, want to give a word?

I guess the bottom line is that you make your own decisions and if you don’t enjoy doing something and don’t want to do it, don’t do it.

I’ll refrain from posting too much more on this post since I’m not that parent testimony you need…

To me it sounds as thought you’ve already answered your own question, and if you need to justify it to your Mom say exactly what you said

[quote]Well I really don’t have that much fun playing basektball either. I also want to focus on getting stronger for myself and especially baseball. I also want to get my grades up a little higher. I just think if I stop playing then I can focus on working out and playing basebeall a sport where I have a chance to get some kind of a scholarship if I try hard enough. It will need a lot of dedication but it’s something I really want to do.
[/quote]

To me if a parent has a problem with that justification especially when grades are part of the equation they (the parent) has their priorities out of order.

play basketball and practice baseball at the same time

I have the exact same problem as you. I play football, basketball, and baseball. I want to quit basketball so I can have a couple months to be fully prepared for spring baseball and I don’t really like the sport either. The only things stopping me from quitting is pressure from family and teammates, and my JV team that I’d be on has a great chance to go undefeated. The only sport my school cares about is basketball.

Playing basketball, practicing baseball, weightlifting, and doing homework at the same time is very tough to do. Basketball kills my body which makes me tired all the time and I can’t do anything else at full effort. I wish people would understand that.

Ultimately, you need ask yourself why you play basketball and for whom you play it. If you no longer enjoy basketball or you’re playing if for other than yourself, then that to me is the overriding factor. Plus, quitting basketball to pursue baseball demonstrates a commitment and motivation and that is hard to argue with.

Now, I will say that it is possible to play basketball and still get in some baseball practice on the side. But that might require you to really manage your time well. You can’t slack off on the school work. Figure out what your goals are and then pursue them.

Yes I thought of this and that is what I planned last year during basketball. Then I weighed 125 pounds. Now I weigh 145 and I didn’t get a lot taller.

They got rid of the last years coach who ran us almost every practice more than we should have even after and before games, which is a good, but it’s just too hard to prepare for baseball and play basketball at the same time.

Thanks for the advice guys I’m ready to talk to my parents now.

From a coach’s standpoint – looking for real talent in the upper level, let me pass on my experiences of reviewing prospects that I remember having the same environment that your in.

Dedication to One Sport:
I’ve seen more prospects make it, with a one sport dedication then not. They’ve used their time wisely, in this regard. They’ve studied the game and the pitcher’s position with sound discipline, time management, and health and nutrition issues that heretofore were missing with other activities. In a cellar, barn, shed or some other place they setup a small gym and asked their parent, uncle, grandfather, etc., to support their work with keeping rep counts, charting, offering suggestions, and injecting praise and criticism equally when warranted. Instead of prosecuting the issue, these prospects enlisted the adult(s) in their life to BE PART OF PROCESS.
Recognizing Talent:
Talent speaks for itself – it’s a universal thing that stands on its own two feet. If ya got-it, ya got-it. If not, trying to focus on something that no one else believes in is a hard sell. In that regard, you can practice, exercise and stuff yourself with wheat germ till it’s coming out of your ears - and still … it’s the same ole you.
Horizons:
Sandy Koufax had a miserable start in the Majors. In fact, few if any though he’s make it. He had a howitzer of an arm, but little control. Adding to this misery were other small minded persuasions at that time. All in all it served him up with a full plate of challenges. Now you’d think with all the talent – coaching wise, in the Major Leagues, someone would have at least given the guy a break with some suggestions. It was a veteran catcher by the name of Norm Sherry who many credit with helping Koufax. And with that – Koufax settled in and had a tremendous career. His work ethic was deliberate. His horizons were met with a drive and dedication that offered him a HOF career.
YOU:
Do you believe in yourself strong enough to honestly say – “yes, I have the will and dedication to devote myself to a disciplined workout, a time management system that I can design that’s attainable, a level of talent that I now have that’s worth improving, I can use this improved level of talent in the mix of other things to help me attain my goals?” Every single prospect that I’ve sent a letter to that started off with … Congratulations and welcome to our club, has answered those questions for himself long before he walked onto my field. Long before. Hence,If YOU fail to understand the importance of what I just listed, you can’t expect others to understand.

Baseball is one of the greatest motivators on the planet – even more so with the pitcher’s position. Forgive me if I’m partial. I say this because it takes guts – shear guts, to stand out in the middle of an infield, in full view of everyone, and pitch after pitch accept judgments from people who know little or nothing about the game much less the pitcher’s position And better yet, to be called in from another position – given the ball and a few warm up throws and expect to perform …. is a gutsy thing to do, at any age!

Like we say here in Massachusetts with our boys from bean town … Believe…Believe…Believe.!!!
Best wishes Bower

Coach B.

I’ve read some of your posts and from where I sit – you’ve got a pretty good handle things – game wise. In fact, you’re itemizing a batting order that I posted here impressed me enough to suggest you coaching along the way – fifteen (15) or not. (On the coaching thing, I have some thoughts on that)

The main point that I was driving at with my last post to you on the subject of a one sport high school athlete, was the common denominator that many youngsters have that compete and succeed with awesome performances is their dedication to channeling all their energy in the one thing that they do best – baseball. Why? Because baseball is their thing! Although they’ve been good at other things like track, swimming, heck even tidily-winks, when push comes to shove – they’re ballplayers. It’s in their blood, can’t live without it, must have – must have!! And another thing, these guys are not shy about wanting it, no matter what. For example, I normally have nine (9) pitchers that I can drawn on at any time because I know they’re all aggressive enough and tough enough.
In fact, one day a starter of ours got into an accident and by the end of following day, I had eight guys – respectfully asking … “ ah coach, any decision yet on who you’re bumping up?” I knew there was nothing personal or with a lack of caring about their teammate. This was business – just plain ole business.

So, although your fifteen (15) years of age now, you won’t be fifteen (15) for ever. Grow and go for it!

I wish you the best…
Coach B

Thanks for everything Coach. If I had any chance of getting a scholarship it would be for the field more than pitching, unless I can really pick it up. I’m a lot better of a hitter than a pitcher though lacking some power now but getting in the weightroom should help. I pitched today becuase that was the only way I could throw. Me and another kid went to the field to throw and our last years catcher came by to catch. He told me I can throw pretty hard for my age after taking some pop flys.

I’m going to talk to my mom tonight, and see how it goes. I stayed after too and did a lot of leg workouts because I missed my workout day yesterday I had some other things to do but tomorrow I can do arms which will be fine. I’m really for doing this and I have a place I can throw all winter and even set up a light flight machine to get some swings in too.

Well wish me luck I’m going to talk to her.

Just wondering Bower how old are you?

15 and I talked to my mom she seemed disapointed but I think she will let me do what I want and respects my decision.

Great job Bower!
You approached it, addressed it and dealt with it in an excellent manner. Your mom was likely disappointed because her boy is acting like a man. Take some time and let her know how much you appreciate her believing in you. I’m sure she deserves it.

Oh yeah for sure. She knows that what I want to do is the better decesion it’s just hard for her to let me do what I want even though its a better decision. I’m going to give her some time to think it over and for her to talk it over with my dad but in the end I’m sure she’ll respect my decision.

Your maturity is showing itself as is your strength and determination to stay on track with priorities. I’m sure this will - if it hasn’t already, find itself into improving your grades at school, your chores for suporting your family, and other things.

In addition, you’ve sought advice from men like jdfromfla and Roger that offer sound advice with only the best intentions of helping YOU. And they ask nothing in return but knowing that they’ve assisted you in talking things through on a subject that they are both VERY WELL qualified on.

With respect to talking things over with your dad, don’t hesitate to show him your ability to find this web site, and the sprit of cooperation amoung all the Administrators that have assisted you and other youngsters to improve. Also, show him the credentials of Steven Ellis who also inputs here and his direction.

Again, great job addressing this issue.

Coach B.
ps
Don’t discount your ability to step in and assist a youth
coach somewhere. Maybe with tee-ball, or the next step
up. I wouldn’t be telling you this if I didn’t read into some
of your past posts an insight with the basics of this game
that a lot of junior coaches lack. Also, I’ll bet your age
will work for you - relating subjects and reasoning things
out. Trust me on this - you’ve got the mind for it.

Thank you everyone.

Coach I actually have helped in assisting in my brothers little league minor team and the coach actually paid me $10 that I refused but he insisted and wouldn’t let me go without it for the help I did. My younger brother’s coach also asked me to help with my brothers u-14 team, a team I could have been on but got moved up.

So I have helped some junior coaching and I liked it a lot, and do plan on coaching in the future. I also ump little league often which helps too with the whole coaching aspect.

Thanks for everything guys.