Advice from a coach

My kid had a pitching lesson this past weekend. After the lesson I was talking with his instructor (a pro with a 19 year career, playing all over the world). We started talking about long toss. He said he loves it but doesnt like his guys to do the throws with the arc on them. I have been doing the Jaeger program with my son. As some of you may know Jaeger teaches to throw with an arc as your moving away from your partner and then throwing on a line on the way back in. Clearly it takes more arm strength to throw the ball 250 feet than it does to throw it 200 (taking for granted the effort and arc angle are the same), so, I believe it can be used to build arm strength. Jaeger is very clear that his process employs both throwing with an arc and bringing the throws down (throwing out front, release point ect.) on the way back in. Any thoughts on which process you think would be more benefitial. He also said that he (the instructor) throws off the mound 5 to 6 a week, many of these sessions are “feel” session, working on a pitch or only 20-30 throws. He said he didnt really buy limiting the mound time to 1 to 2 times a week. Any thoughts?

Get a new coach.

Seriously, I like long toss with an arc. I think the thing you learn from long toss is intent to throw hard and taking off restrictions.

The idea of throwing bullpens 6 days a week scares me. Coach I have talked to say that the deceleration of your arm on the mound is what breaks you down. That said, I don’t worry too much about throwing flat ground several days a week.

Not getting a new coach. He has done wonders for my son and in reality he is the main reason he is pitching with effectivness. That said, I thought his approach to longtoss was surprising. The mound work part of that discussion related to what he does, not what he was recommending for my son. My take on the longtoss is similiar to yours. I find it interesting that there really isent one “golden path”. People try different approaches and find what works for them. That said I havent really heard of someone putting in that much mound work that long a period of time.

There are definitely different camps of thought on this topic. Many folks swear by Jaeger’s program. Others preach specificity of training. You probably won’t go wrong either way.

Regarding bullpen work, I generally like shorter, more frequent bullpens too. However, short bullpens 5-6 times a week may be ok for an adult but I think it’s a bit much for young kids.

I’m pretty sure Jaeger’s program involves “going out” as the general warm-up after the band and easy warm-up tosses. He wants the pitchers to air it out on an arc to really get the blood moving, then “coming in” or “pulling down” is where you get the benefit.

At any rate, I see no problem with either phase - so long as they are both included. I really like his general program - in somuch as I understand it, anyway.

Yeah, Jaegers program involves both phases. Going out the throws are on an arc, coming back in the effort of the throws remains the same as the distance shortens. So, for example, throwing at 75 yards on an arc and then bringing it in. Because you are throwing with the same intensity at say 30 yards as you were at 75 yards it forces the arc of the throw down. This “pull down” phase as he calls it is where arm strength is developed. I would think both parts of it actually develop strength in different ways. Anyway, because the arc goes away as you come in this forces the release point to be lowered and gets the person throwing out front ect. I like his program alot. One of the things I like about my sons coach is he has things that he does for himself as he is still playing, but, he is open to other ideas. Jaeger spends as much time emphasizing the band workout (11 exercises) as he does the throwing part of it. So, do some active stretching, a few sprints, butt kickers, high knees ect., bands, 5 min shoulder tube routine then the throwing, followed by a another set of the band exercises and a quick jog. All I know is my son never really has arm pain (he used to) or even soreness after pitching, even a complete game. I attribute this to improved mechanics and the throwing program.

Yeah, Jaegers program involves both phases. Going out the throws are on an arc, coming back in the effort of the throws remains the same as the distance shortens. So, for example, throwing at 75 yards on an arc and then bringing it in. Because you are throwing with the same intensity at say 30 yards as you were at 75 yards it forces the arc of the throw down. This “pull down” phase as he calls it is where arm strength is developed. I would think both parts of it actually develop strength in different ways. Anyway, because the arc goes away as you come in this forces the release point to be lowered and gets the person throwing out front ect. I like his program alot. One of the things I like about my sons coach is he has things that he does for himself as he is still playing, but, he is open to other ideas. Jaeger spends as much time emphasizing the band workout (11 exercises) as he does the throwing part of it. So, do some active stretching, a few sprints, butt kickers, high knees ect., bands, 5 min shoulder tube routine then the throwing, followed by a another set of the band exercises and a quick jog. All I know is my son never really has arm pain (he used to) or even soreness after pitching, even a complete game. I attribute this to improved mechanics and the throwing program.