Advice for Meeting College Recuriters and Pro Scouts

Here’s a topic that can be a web site all on its own. But until then, here are some simple suggestions that should not be overlooked.

• An invitation to meet is an invitation to a business meeting, an interview, an exchange of ideas, wants and needs by mutual parties.
  • A business meeting is just that – business, so dress appropriately.
  • Keep the mood cordial, polite, and friendly.
  • Do not slouch down in a chair, couch, or other seating arrangement with a body posture that indicates little interest, or even worse –“what can you do for me attitude.”

The points that follow are especially for dads, grandfathers and other men in the family.

• Mothers, grandmothers, aunts, and other female members of the family are especially good at reading people. Women in the family have a sense about things, especially when it comes to the well-being of a son, grandson, and nephew and so on. Don’t shut them out, and above all don’t show them disrespect during your meetings or treat them as a thing to be tolerated. Take every advantage of their perceptions and sensitivity.
  • Don’t sit back with this attitude of “go ahead, I’m listening.”
  • Don’t tape-record your meetings, openly or secretly.
  • “Ask” your questions don’t “demand.”
  • These meetings are about your son, not you.
  • Let your son take as much of the initiative as he feels comfortable with. After all, the person or people that your meeting with want to get a perspective about the man, not his father.
  • There will be financial limitations set forth by the governing body that the organization is participating with, such as leagues, athletic associations, and so forth. Don’t try to be creative by hinting “I’m open and flexible” just to circumvent rules, protocols, and even organizational criteria’s. “Well, everybody else does it,” is not a place you want to go.
  • If a part time job while in college is offered at a car wash for $180 an hour or a no-show job, “to make ends meet,” it is time to look elsewhere.
    Finally, advice to the prospect - in life there is a certain amount of “who you know” that trumps “what you know.” On the baseball field that stops as soon as you lace up your spikes. Be very careful with who you owe your job to down the road.