Advantage of private coaches prior to the big field

Exactly. Two things can be happening. One, he is not physically able to complete the movement correctly (strength issues, flexibility issues, etc). This is the easier fix.

Or two, he knows how to do the movement and chooses not to. You’d be surprised how many older kids hate change. They were taught one way (or observed one way) and think it’s the right way because that’s how they did it first. New is the enemy. A younger athlete does not know any more than what he is taught, and therefore, does his best to execute what the coach teaches.

Think about it. When you learn something new in any area of life, you are more open to learning how to do it right. Now, what if you’ve been doing that something a certain way for a long time and someone comes along and tells you you’re wrong or wants you to do it their way. Chances are, you throw up the wall to change and resist.

Great thread!

What all parents have to realize is that a high percentage of cats who provide private lessons are in it for the coin. There are not personal and 100% honest relationships built and the bottom line is along this thread, that the coin is at the lower levels; simply there are more kids playing little league then HS.

The problem with instruction outside of fun time camps for little kids is it gives mommy and daddy an opportunity to have their own time. So they shuffle Johnnie off to a private lesson and the guy giving it is happy to the make the money. The sad part is many, many private instructors simply want the money; they meat market the approach.

Camps are for kids 8 and under in my opinion or better yet they should be playing ball with one of their parents enjoying fun time. Now that is not to say that a couple half hour basic lessons would not be a good idea FOR THE PARENT in order to teach some real basic fundamentals to move forward with for a few years…Personally I don’t even offer to give lessons to kids under the age of 9 unless the parents really understand the approach I am going to take which simply is I will not let them send their kid to me too many times. Additionally the parent has to be involved by attending the lessons becuase Timmy is not going to remember any thing any way.

Take for instance my five year old son…the only thing I teach him right now is to HAVE FUN and “show me the glove,” THAT IS ABSOLUTELY IT.

Yet I have parents of 5 and six year olds after a little guy camp approach me about giving their kids lessons throughout the course of the year; I respectfully decline.

The bottom line is, what is a kid under the age of 10 going to retain any way…if the parents are not directly involved all these lessons turn out to be is some guy collecting coin, managing a glorified day care lesson and selling the folks to bring the player back in sooner rather then later.

What irritates me are two things when it comes to the private lesson industry…1) Instructors taking advantage of people in not being honest but rather trying to sell them a product…their product and 2) parents not getting it.

Sad thing is no matter what we will never be able to get rid of these two facts regardless of how hard we try.

Lastly I cannot count how many times over the years I have told parents that I am seeing their kid too often for private instruction…I loose business but I could care less about that.

Yogi Berra is reported to have said something about Little League being a good thing—"It gets the kids out of the house."
And there’s another quote, I’m not sure of the source, but it goes something like “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is older he will not depart from it.” It really is too bad that there are so many so-called coaches who are not interested in this particular precept, they’re just in it for the moolah, and they don’t really care whether they teach the right stuff or not—and parents fall for this, just to get the kids out of the house! No wonder we see pitchers high school and up who are doing everything all wrong, and it’s such a hassle trying to correct the mistakes they learned—and sometimes it just doesn’t work.
Better the kids should pick up some things on their own, from reading about it, getting out on the field and just playing, and then if they feel they need some advice and instruction look for a coach who knows his elbow from third base. That was what I did. And at that point where I thought I could use another pitch to go with the few that I had, I thought it might well be the slider, and I decided to ask one of the Yankee pitchers about it. And I sure picked the right one—don’t ask me how I knew, because after all these decades I still can’t explain it, but I just knew.
Ed Lopat had made an exhaustive study of pitching and pitchers during his time in the minors, and he not only knew his elbow from third base, he knew how to coach and teach others likewise. He was an additional pitching coach for the Yankees during the seven and a half years he spent with them, and he liked doing it, and he would work with anyone, from Little League on up, who was interested, who wanted to know, and who was willing to work at it. And he taught the right stuff—whether it be the basics with a 9-year-old or the seemingly esoteric stuff with the major leaguers who asked him for advice and help—or someone like me who just wanted to be a more effective pitcher—and he knew just how to gear things to the different age and experience levels. No wonder that pitchers on other teams would go to him!
And I say, when you find a pitching coach like that, never let him go. He’s worth every cent—and even when he’s not in it for the money but just for the love of pitching and the desire to communicate what he knows, he’s worth it. :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher:

[quote=“CoachConley30”]Great thread!

What irritates me are two things when it comes to the private lesson industry…1) Instructors taking advantage of people in not being honest but rather trying to sell them a product…their product and 2) parents not getting it.

[/quote]

I worked with a 10U kid this fall during practices on basic throwing, fielding and hitting fundamentals. His father had sent this kid to every camp and instructor available; yet the kid was horrible. He was clueless about basic throwing, hitting and fielding. His father also would do anything for his son to make the travel team and play. He worked with his son on what was taught at these camps and instructions, but never saw any improvements. After a few fall ball practices, he comes up and says that his son has learned more and improved more dramatically from these little basic lessons on mechanics during fall ball than all of the camps and private instructors combined, and why didn’t the professionals ever say his son was horrible and needed to change. I smiled. Didn’t want to go there. I wasn’t taking any of his money. I didn’t care if his son made the travel team or not; though, I did say unless he learns how to throw and hit properly, he would be in the Minors at 11 :). What I wanted was a player who could make contact when hitting and could throw the ball from left field to second base, and if I had to pitch him (politics), then he needed to be able to throw strikes consistently; meaning his delivery needed to be consistent. This kid was about 4’-10" and 65 pounds wet, and thought himself to be a big home run hitter. I was happy when he hit the ball. And really pleased if his hit ball made it out of the infield. But all of the private instructors had built up his image of himself so great and unrealistic, that it was difficult to work with this kid. His basic pitching delivery when I started working with him on how to throw the ball was the typical push the ball using only the arms. I was happy when he made the throw on one hop from the oputfield to the infield. He saw himself as a premier fastball LL pitcher. I’m sure his dad spent more money this winter propping up his son’s self esteem without dealing with his flaws.

I think you would at least teach a senior the same thing as a 7th grader, there should be waypoints of what someone can accomplish…if a pitcher cant develop balance and basic mechanics why would you then move on to location and throwing harder. If the pitcher can locate and starts to throw harder then start to develop the mental part of the game…its all a process of what the student can handle.