Adding Velocity in mechanics

Been working out and getting stronger for a year now and have seen little Velocity increase. What do pitching mechanics that increase velocity look like

Getting stronger and working out rarely equates to big velocity increases. Don’t confuse bigger stronger more explosive muscles with velo. Each body needs a different type of structure as far as strength. And yes, don’t get me wrong…there is a difference between getting stronger and being optimally stabilized in the right places. Take two Lester and Arrieta…two completely different styles of strength…Lester is a big lifter, Arrieta is more of a pilates/yoga flexible strength.

Centrally balanced core, strong backside load with good timing and rhythm with an explosive trust and freedom thru release. As far as what it looks like…send some videos of yourself for fixes. You can’t tell someone what needs to be fixed without seeing it first.

I disagree. If you are working out right and getting stronger and more explosive, of course you are going to gain velocity.

So in your world, body builders and power lifters also throw the hardest.

Thats like saying someone who can lift more and be more explosive would be a better fighter than someone who only trains martial arts without lifting weights.

I said if your working out right. Pitchers don’t train like body builders. If you are more explosive and strong you can move your body quicker and more efficient. Just throwing won’t be enough.

They wouldn’t be a better fighter but if he lifted and did the training he would be a much better fighter than the guy who didn’t workout and did just fighting. Like, have you ever head of Aroldis Chapman and Nolan Ryan? They’re huge lifters and it’s one of the main reasons they throw hard. Imagine if they were tiny sticks, then would they throw gas?

The reasons they throw so hard has little to do with their lifting…longevity and health and being able to maintain velocity over a career…yes. And the fact that you two freaks as your examples, who are large individuals to begin with, and say that this is one of the main reasons they hard is a moot point. How about being mechanically efficient being the main reason they are able to throw so hard.

Getting back to the OP…he said he was working out and getting stronger and seen little velo increase. I simply told him the facts about working out and equating that to velo…followed up by his questioning of what mechanics looked like that increase velo. The initial comment of getting stronger and working out not increasing velo is something I stand by. Of course being in shape is a prerequisite of being a premium pitcher…thats beside the point. Anyone not in shape shouldn’t be asking about mechanics in the first place…because working out and getting stronger isn’t where velo is derived from. Work out as much as you want…get as explosive as you want…strength doesn’t equal velocity.

Not necessarily

Increase or ensure you’ve not lost any flexibility with your strength building program.

In general, the better your range of motion the more degrees of arc that you have to accelerate a baseball from static to full velocity, analogous to the difference in the length of golf clubs.

Another factor is the SSC or stretch shortening cycle that is inhibited with less muscle flexibility. You’d have to look that up as it’s a long story.

Mechanically, I would suggest take a bigger step towards the plate (increasing your leg extension) and working on increasing your Maximum External Rotation (look it up).

Honestly this approach (take a bigger step toward the plate) sounds like something that will lead to a pitcher becoming front hip dominant. Not a good thing. A longer stride in and of itself doesnt create more velocity and can be counterproductive. A long stride is desirable if the result of momentum. Reaching out or taking a larger step doesn’t create momentum.

I guess you make a good point there. I guess I should have said that mixing in a longer stride with a larger load would be better. Here is the article I was referring to. https://www.■■■■■■■■■■■.net/study-proves-long-strides-increase-pitching-speeds/
The article is by a program called Top Velocity.

Guess what I was saying is a lot of people mistakenly believe a longer stride equates to higher velocity. In most cases higher velocity pitchers indeed have longer strides. Issue becomes how to achieve a longer stride. I’ve heard the saying stride equals load. Someone reaching with the stride leg will end up front hip dominant and never achieve the load. Don’t think a long stride is something that should be a goal in and of itself. Creating the early momentum or load should be the goal. The stride leg is only there to land, improving momentum will result in a longer stride.

No.