Adding pitches?

Ok so I’m 15 and I’m the number one starter on the freshman team. Season just ended so club is gonna start soon. Here are my pitches in order from best to worst.
2-seam- low 70’s
slider- low 60’s
splitty- mid 60’s
4-seam- mid-upper 70’s
yes I know I take a lot off my two seam. But anyways I am debating on whether to add a fifth pitch or not. I have good control over those four pitches. In the past I have messed around with a cutter and a curve. So do you think I should add another pitch? And if so whichnone would go good with what I have. All of these pitches come from a three quarters arm slot(righty)

No. Those are PLENTY of pitches. Especially at the level you are playing at.

What you need to do is concentrate on developing a good fastball. Work on gaining velocity, and create a good conditioning program for yourself.

Take care of your arm, condition your body, eat good food (and lot’s of it), and be consistent/diligent with all of the above.

Get good feedback (video, radar gun, this forum - good eyes) and you will be on your way to college ball if you’re good enough (and have the grades).

Thanks grades def won’t be a problem. And just for the future when do you think I should add anoter pitch?

You don’t ever need to add a new pitch, most MLB level players have about 4 pitches. Just go with what you have and keep working to improve each pitch.

Take that good control you have with those pitches and make it great control. Just keep working on those pitches, instead of just giving up when you get a pitch that is “good” and adding a new one, just keep working on those pitches and make them great.

8 mediocre pitches won’t get you near as far as 3 great ones. The only 8 pitch pitchers I can really think of that were successful are Mike Mussina and El Duque.

I was in the same situation, except i only throw 3 pitches. And I have found that my change-up was able to dominate better teams. It is ALWAYS good to develop a good change-up.

Ya I’ve tried so many different change up grips and none of them feel right so that’s why I learned a splitter. Have u posted any pics on it circle change grip?

naw i could though. you want me too?

Ya that’d b sweet just cause I’ve tried so many grips and none feel good

ALright. here you go

file://localhost/Users/bmccurdy1/Pictures/Photo%20Booth/Photo%20on%202010-05-02%20at%2020.07%20%232.jpg

file://localhost/Users/bmccurdy1/Pictures/Photo%20Booth/Photo%20on%202010-05-02%20at%2020.07.jpg

Hope they show up as links[/img]

Argh it shows up as a link but I can’t open it because it’s a “local file”

Oh boy! I remember when I was playing. I didn’t have a fast ball to speak of, and I knew I was never going to be another Feller or Raschi or any fireballer, so I had to go to the breaking stuff right away. I started out with a pretty nice curve ball (which came attached to my sidearm Delivery), and I added a knuckle curve and a palm ball—and I could change speeds on all of them. I got through two seasons with that repertoire, limited as it was, but then at the age of sixteen I learned how to throw a good slider, and before you could say whatever pitcher I built up a nice arsenal of snake jazz—including a shelf full of assorted changeups. My pitching coach—you may remember him, his name was Ed Lopat and he was one of the Yankees’ Big Three rotation—helped me with all of this, and speaking of a lot of stuff he threw everything but a fast ball.
So I had to add a lot of breaking pitches. I learned how to change speeds on all of them, and I had that crossfire which gave me double the number of pitches. I would suggest that if you want to add another pitch at this time, work on a devastating changeup. Remember what Babe Ruth, who knew a little something about pitching, once said: “A good changeup will cause batters more grief than just about anything else.” 8)

Aight thanks. Do you have any pictures of grips on change ups u liked?

Aww man… my bad. Ill see if i can figure it out soon.

It’s cool man whenever u got time

Lsufan, I could tell you a couple of things about grips for various changeups, and so I will.
The circle change is just that—you form a circle with your thumb and forefinger on one side of the ball, and the other three fingers are on top of the ball. Some pitchers will raise one finger, usually the middle one, off the ball. Now, if your hand isn’t quite large enough to form the complete circle you can use a half-circle, a backwards “c”—something I had to do. My pitching coach also suggested that I have the middle and ring fingers closer together, the way I would use the index and middle fingers when I threw the slider, and the pinky on the outside of the ball opposite the thumb and index finger. Of course, you have to throw this pitch with the same arm motion and the same arm speed as you would a fast ball—and that goes for all changeups; there’s nothing worse than having a batter tee off on it because the pitcher telegraphed it and thus let the batter know what was coming!
The palm ball was a favorite of mine—in fact, it was the first changeup I acquired. As the name implies, you grip the ball way back in the palm of your hand with all four fingers on top and the thumb underneath for support—but don’t grip the ball too tightly, because you DON’T want to squeeze the juice out of the ball! You can throw it like a fast ball, or even like a curve if you wish.
The knuckle-curve—mmm, now there’s a nice pitch. I recall how I picked it up; I had wanted to try throwing a knuckleball but I just couldn’t do it because of the sharp wrist snap I had on the curve, But I discovered that I could use any of several knuckleball grips, two-finger and three-finger, and throw the curve that way. A variation of this is the “spike” curve—again, you raise one finger off the ball. This pitch will come in there looking for all the world like a fast ball and then suddenly fall off the table, and what that does to the batters! (It seems that Mike Mussina picked his up the same way I did.)
And there’s the “slip” pitch—not to be confused with a pitch that slips out of the pitcher’s hand and falls to the ground with a resounding plop and results in a balk being called if there’s a runner on base. There are, apparently, several versions of this; Paul Richards, who learned it by observing a reluctant pitcher on his staff in AA where he was a playing manager, saw it as a variation of the palm ball. The way I learned it—Ed Lopat told me, “Get a knuckleball grip and throw the slider with it.” I did so and found it to be a devastating pitch indeed, because it can break any one of several different ways depending on whether you use a two-finger or a three-finger grip—if you have a good slider you can pick up this pitch right away and use it with telling effect. (Are you listening, El Duque?)
In fact, Lopat told me that just about any pitch can be turned into a nice changeup. He demonstrated several such for me, and I saw just how this could be the case…And there it is, a description of several changeups and how to throw them. Something for you to chew on. :slight_smile:

Sweet. I kind of like the palm ball and knuckle curve out of those. If I throw from a 3/4 arm slot will the ball drop more like a 12-6 or move more side to side?

The knuckle-curve will generally go closer to a 12-6 drop. As I said before, it looks as if it’s coming in there like a fast ball and then it abruptly drops off the table. The palm ball will go in any direction, depending on what kind of wrist action you use. In any event, both are very nice pitches to have. Have fun with them. :slight_smile:

Ok thanks for the advice :slight_smile: