Adding healthy fats to my diet

hey guys, I’m 6’1+ and barely holding onto 200lbs. I am trying to eat every 120 minutes throughout the day. I can’t afford the assistance of a bona fide nutritionist so I’m looking anywhere I can for some tips regarding nutrition. I’ve had a few trainers take a quick look @ my dietary logs and they say I’m not getting enough healthy fats into my diet. I regularly incorporate almonds, avocado, fresh roasted peanut butter, etc into my diet currently. Do any of you have some ideas for me to help ensure I’m getting both the fats I need as well as healthy calories?

Well what does the typical diet look like, as there are a couple types of good fats out there.

Well what does the typical diet look like, as there are a couple types of good fats out there.[/quote]

I’ve kept track of every bite since 1/10/11. To keep it relatively short, I’ll give you a look at just the last 3 days.

February.9.11
745am
1 1/4 cup Kashi Go Lean (Toasted Berry Crumble)
Organic Fat Free Milk
8 Roasted Almonds
955am
6 Eggs (only 2 yolks)
splash of Organic FF Milk
2 toasted Multi Grain slices of bread
2 slices of American Cheese
Tall Glass of OJ - Antioxidant Advantage
1010am
Tall glass of fresh brewed Green Tea
8 Roasted Almonds
1230pm
2 slices of MultiGrain bread
Frsh Roasted Peanut Butter
1/2 Tall Glass of Organic FF Milk
455pm Tall glass of OJ - Antioxidant Advantage
8 Roasted Almonds
5pm
6oz Chobani Greek Yogurt - Strawberry
2 Nature Valley Granola Bars - Peanut Butter
3/4 Tall Glass of Fresh Brewed Green Tea
8pm
Chocolate Almond Fudge Clif Bar
825pm
Homemade Smoothie- Mango, Kiwi, Pear, Banana, Blueberry, OJ
830pm
Homemade Crab Cake w/Panko Bread Crumb over bed of spring mix w homemade honey balsamic dressing
850pm
whole wheat spaghetti w/grilled chicken, portobello mushrooms, broccoli, roasted red peppers, red onion, olive oil, garlic, pepper
Tall Glass of Fresh Brewed Green Tea

February.10.11
1220pm
5 eggs (only 2 yolks)
splash of Organic FF Milk
2 slices of american cheese
2 toasted slices of MultiGrain bread
1 1/2 Tall glasses of homemade smoothie - banana, strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, OJ
245pm
Tall glass of fresh brewed green tea
8 roasted almonds
255pm
10 homemade baked chicken wings - honey, tobasco, olive oil, italian seasoning
20oz btl of H2O
525pm
2 bites of pastrami on rye @ Stew Leonard’s
840pm
Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch clif Bar
915pm
Earth & Turf Burrito from Tomatillo
Skirt Steak, Grilled Portobello Mushrooms, rice, pinto beans & mole sauce
Tall glass of fresh brewed green tea
1110pm
13 Roasted almonds
tall glass of fresh brewed green tea

February.11.11
1135am
1 1/4 cup Kashi Go Lean (toasted berry crumble)
Organic FF Milk
115pm
3 slices of MultiGrain Bread
Fresh Roasted Peanut Butter
Tall Glass of Organic FF Milk
150pm
Banana
20oz btl of H2O
345pm
Zero Impact Bar - Pumpkin Supreme
20oz btl of H2O
755pm
Chocolate almond Fudge Clif Bar
810pm
homemade smoothie - banana, strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, OJ, pear
815pm
Baked Organic Salmon w/garlic, olive oil, pepper & lemon
steamed pea pods & carrots
white / sweet potato homefries
1020pm
6oz Chobani Greek Yogurt - Honey
Tall glass fresh brewed green tea
12 roasted almonds

February.12.11
1045am
3/4 cup kashi go lean - toasted berry crumble
12 roasted almonds
1245pm
3 organic pancakes
4 slices bacon
4 eggs ( only 1 yolk)
1 slice american cheese
homemade smoothie - banana, strawberry, blueberry, OJ, mango
3pm
5oz can solid white albacore tuna - teasp. of mayo
11 stoned wheat thins (1/2 serving)
2 tall glasses of H2O
10 roasted unsalted cashews
445pm
tall glass organic FF milk
Fresh roasted peanut butter
(2) brown rice cakes

I know this was a lot of info, but i wanted you to get a better idea of how im eating currently… thanks so much!!

That diet is woefully lacking in protein intake. You should be getting 160g protein/day at the bare minimum. Shoot for 200g. With the protein will come plenty of fats and calories.

In short, you need to eat way more meat and focus less on eating “clean.”

But good for you for keeping a detailed log of your dietary intake. That is very, very important!

[quote=“kyleb”]That diet is woefully lacking in protein intake. You should be getting 160g protein/day at the bare minimum. Shoot for 200g. With the protein will come plenty of fats and calories.

But good for you for keeping a detailed log of your dietary intake. That is very, very important![/quote]

Appreciate very much the time you took to read and offer critique. “more meat” is a little vague though. Any way I could ask you to outline some of your preferences?? I’ve heard not too much red meat as it’s very tough on your digestive system, no on deli style cold cuts as they’re filled with preservatives, sodium, fillers and other garbage. thanks again for your time.

MT

KyleB is right, protein is the key to muscle building, and without it, you won’t get the calories and protein needed to hold on to 200 lbs of muscle. For meats, anything lighter is good such as chicken, turkey, fish, etc. The lighter the better.

Dont even worry about meat. Get Whey protein. One scoop generally 24-30g of protein. Take 3-4 or as many as you want really with water for the most part or milk a couple of em. It absorbs A LOT faster than any whole food will and it’ll help you grow and maintain muscle. Lot of people on here for some reason dont seem to be into the whole bodybuilding diet but I LOVE IT!~ and stick by it.

Justin, the thing is if you get the right amount of protein naturally in your diet, it is a lot better for you. It helps your body build muscle better than whey protein with all the other additives. A body building diet does not necessarily mean protein shakes and the like. In fact, I am wary of such things for a number of reasons:

1. The calories in one of these shakes is higher than it needs to be, and typically if it is lower in calories, your body may have trouble processing just pure protein.
  2. These formula’s are in no way guaranteed 100% pure. In fact, as a college athlete I stray away from them knowing that the NCAA does drug testing. Any of these formulas can be made in the same factories as other ingredients which if found in my system, ban me from play.
  3. The expense. It is just way too expensive for whey. In fact, the cheaper it is, the more risk associated with it. The more expensive it is usually means the better, but I don’t understand why I would buy the product if I can naturally get all 200g of protein a day and have my body react to it in a more positive and beneficial way.

First off I have a hard time believing your getting 200g’s of protein per day everyday without eating chicken or turkey madly in EVERY MEAL OF YOUR DAY!

Secondly, the whey protein I take is by ON -optimum nutrition. Its the equivalent of gatorade to performance drinks. I TRUST WHAT THEY PUT IN THERE. There very good for you! One scoop, heres our nutritional facts.

Calories- 180
Total fat- 1g
saturated fat- .5g
trans fat-0g

Cholesterol- 30mg
Sodium- 130mg
Total Carbs- 3g
sugars- 1g
Protein [b]24g

Here in the united states we have this agency called the USDA. They can’t lie about what they put in there products. NOW LETS GET TO THE INGREDIENTS:

Protein blend (whey protein isolates, whey protein concentrate, whey peptides). Artificial flavor, lecithin, acesulfame potassium, Aminogen, Lactase.

No offense buddy and I dont want to sound cocky but your wayyyyy off by thinking there is anything other than GREATNESS involved with pure whey protein isolates when it involves STRENGTH TRAINING AND/OR ATHLETICS. Period.[/b]

[quote=“JustinRenard”]First off I have a hard time believing your getting 200g’s of protein per day everyday without eating chicken or turkey madly in EVERY MEAL OF YOUR DAY!

Secondly, the whey protein I take is by ON -optimum nutrition. Its the equivalent of gatorade to performance drinks. I TRUST WHAT THEY PUT IN THERE. There very good for you! One scoop, heres our nutritional facts.

Calories- 180
Total fat- 1g
saturated fat- .5g
trans fat-0g

Cholesterol- 30mg
Sodium- 130mg
Total Carbs- 3g
sugars- 1g
Protein [b]24g

Here in the united states we have this agency called the USDA. They can’t lie about what they put in there products. NOW LETS GET TO THE INGREDIENTS:

Protein blend (whey protein isolates, whey protein concentrate, whey peptides). Artificial flavor, lecithin, acesulfame potassium, Aminogen, Lactase.

No offense buddy and I dont want to sound cocky but your wayyyyy off by thinking there is anything other than GREATNESS involved with pure whey protein isolates when it involves STRENGTH TRAINING AND/OR ATHLETICS. Period.[/b][/quote]There is no need to get upset that I am challenging what you are told. Just let me state the facts though.

I do eat a lot of protein, but I am also on a 4,000 cal/day diet. Every meal I have 2 12 oz things of milk, 3 heaping scoops of eggs in the morning, 3 pieces of bacon, and a lot fruit. I am very careful with what I eat, and I consistently, on a day to day basis, get a minimum of 180g of protein. Living at my college campus, they are very aware of the college athletes and with an all you can eat everyday cafeteria, it becomes a lot simpler for me to eat the stuff I need since I have a wide selection of choices.

ON is a good company yes, I will not lie about that. But how much are you paying for your stuff? I know how much the ON stuff costs and it isn’t cheap, especially to the average college student.

The USDA thing you said is where you are wrong. Yes they do regulate what goes into food, but what you are talking about are dietary supplements, which the FDA is in charge of. Since the FDA doesn’t evaluate the contents of dietary supplements, the purity is often far from perfect. As someone with a drug test, I will not risk failing a drug test due to the contents of my protein blend being unpure. NCAA states that I am solely responsible for what I put into my body and thus if I fail, I have no excuse and nothing can save me from punishment.

I believe that you think that protein shakes are “great.” Herein lies a misconception though. This, in my eyes, is a quick and lazy way to rush yourself to the seemingly ‘perfect’ nutrition. I eat better than most anybody else I know, and I have yielded better gains than any other freshman on my college team. 100% natural is the way to go, it is just more work.

P.S. The only day I do not meet the protein amount that I want is on Sundays because the college cafeteria is not open for breakfast.

I didn’t mean to get upset, I kind of rush into stuff without thinking many of times. What protein shakes are in my opinion and the way I look at em are as “supplements”. I am in no way saying I dont take my time in preparing what I eat in my regular diet BUT coming from a person that is pretty large like myself. In the past I didn’t see results as well because my protein intake wasn’t high enough. When your decently over 200 pounds its hard to get 1-1.5g/lb of bodyweight by just eating foods. I still do eat every 2-3 hours but I add in a scoop of whey to just about every meal. It is expensive, I spend well over 200 dollars a month easily just on my supplements but to me they are well worth it. I’ve tried working out without em in the past and with a crappy diet and I just could never “stick with it” long enough. Now I think its a combination of mostly diet but the supplements and protein in general DO HELP in my opinion. That is all.

[quote=“JustinRenard”]I didn’t mean to get upset, I kind of rush into stuff without thinking many of times. What protein shakes are in my opinion and the way I look at em are as “supplements”. I am in no way saying I dont take my time in preparing what I eat in my regular diet BUT coming from a person that is pretty large like myself. In the past I didn’t see results as well because my protein intake wasn’t high enough. When your decently over 200 pounds its hard to get 1-1.5g/lb of bodyweight by just eating foods. I still do eat every 2-3 hours but I add in a scoop of whey to just about every meal. It is expensive, I spend well over 200 dollars a month easily just on my supplements but to me they are well worth it. I’ve tried working out without em in the past and with a crappy diet and I just could never “stick with it” long enough. Now I think its a combination of mostly diet but the supplements and protein in general DO HELP in my opinion. That is all.[/quote]You are right in saying that protein shakes can be supplements, but they should be taken at that. If you can learn to get 180-200g of protein all naturally, then there would be no need to supplement.
See, the body reacts better to complex proteins, usually di and tri peptides, a full body of amino acids, etc. You can’t find the same reaction to a protein shake because simply the levels of each necessary substance is not there.

I think that the issue with most things is that they are no longer supplements but more along the lines of fillers. See, if you aren’t getting the 180-200g of protein you desire in your diet, then I would ask you to take a look at what you are putting into your body. All too often people put the wrong things in such as pizza, fried chicken, and other items that are bad for you. We disregard that, and we try to fill our diets with something healthy such as a protein shake. You will yield benefits due to the high protein intake, but not the same as if you were eating a balanced meal every day. That is the difference to me.

During the summer or when I go back home is when my meals struggle more as I prepare my own food. If I see my protein intake to dip, I will turn to protein shakes as I have in the past, but I try to do something such as that as sparingly as possible.

[quote=“CSOleson”][quote=“JustinRenard”]I didn’t mean to get upset, I kind of rush into stuff without thinking many of times. What protein shakes are in my opinion and the way I look at em are as “supplements”. I am in no way saying I dont take my time in preparing what I eat in my regular diet BUT coming from a person that is pretty large like myself. In the past I didn’t see results as well because my protein intake wasn’t high enough. When your decently over 200 pounds its hard to get 1-1.5g/lb of bodyweight by just eating foods. I still do eat every 2-3 hours but I add in a scoop of whey to just about every meal. It is expensive, I spend well over 200 dollars a month easily just on my supplements but to me they are well worth it. I’ve tried working out without em in the past and with a crappy diet and I just could never “stick with it” long enough. Now I think its a combination of mostly diet but the supplements and protein in general DO HELP in my opinion. That is all.[/quote]You are right in saying that protein shakes can be supplements, but they should be taken at that. If you can learn to get 180-200g of protein all naturally, then there would be no need to supplement.
See, the body reacts better to complex proteins, usually di and tri peptides, a full body of amino acids, etc. You can’t find the same reaction to a protein shake because simply the levels of each necessary substance is not there.

I think that the issue with most things is that they are no longer supplements but more along the lines of fillers. See, if you aren’t getting the 180-200g of protein you desire in your diet, then I would ask you to take a look at what you are putting into your body. All too often people put the wrong things in such as pizza, fried chicken, and other items that are bad for you. We disregard that, and we try to fill our diets with something healthy such as a protein shake. You will yield benefits due to the high protein intake, but not the same as if you were eating a balanced meal every day. That is the difference to me.

During the summer or when I go back home is when my meals struggle more as I prepare my own food. If I see my protein intake to dip, I will turn to protein shakes as I have in the past, but I try to do something such as that as sparingly as possible.[/quote]

to be perfectly honest, i’m having difficulty envisioning a “natural” diet that will deliver upwards of 180 - 200g’s of protein each day. would you be willing to post a typical days diet? broken down into times, portions, etc? I document every bite I eat, so seeing something in that type of format would be a tremendous help. thanks again all for your input

[quote=“ecmike73”][quote=“CSOleson”][quote=“JustinRenard”]I didn’t mean to get upset, I kind of rush into stuff without thinking many of times. What protein shakes are in my opinion and the way I look at em are as “supplements”. I am in no way saying I dont take my time in preparing what I eat in my regular diet BUT coming from a person that is pretty large like myself. In the past I didn’t see results as well because my protein intake wasn’t high enough. When your decently over 200 pounds its hard to get 1-1.5g/lb of bodyweight by just eating foods. I still do eat every 2-3 hours but I add in a scoop of whey to just about every meal. It is expensive, I spend well over 200 dollars a month easily just on my supplements but to me they are well worth it. I’ve tried working out without em in the past and with a crappy diet and I just could never “stick with it” long enough. Now I think its a combination of mostly diet but the supplements and protein in general DO HELP in my opinion. That is all.[/quote]You are right in saying that protein shakes can be supplements, but they should be taken at that. If you can learn to get 180-200g of protein all naturally, then there would be no need to supplement.

During the summer or when I go back home is when my meals struggle more as I prepare my own food. If I see my protein intake to dip, I will turn to protein shakes as I have in the past, but I try to do something such as that as sparingly as possible.[/quote]

to be perfectly honest, i’m having difficulty envisioning a “natural” diet that will deliver upwards of 180 - 200g’s of protein each day. would you be willing to post a typical days diet? broken down into times, portions, etc? I document every bite I eat, so seeing something in that type of format would be a tremendous help. thanks again all for your input[/quote]
I don’t know how to show it on here, I can send you a spreadsheet exported from myplate if you would like though. It can be opened in excel.

[quote=“ecmike73”][quote=“kyleb”]That diet is woefully lacking in protein intake. You should be getting 160g protein/day at the bare minimum. Shoot for 200g. With the protein will come plenty of fats and calories.

But good for you for keeping a detailed log of your dietary intake. That is very, very important![/quote]

Appreciate very much the time you took to read and offer critique. “more meat” is a little vague though. Any way I could ask you to outline some of your preferences?? I’ve heard not too much red meat as it’s very tough on your digestive system, no on deli style cold cuts as they’re filled with preservatives, sodium, fillers and other garbage. thanks again for your time.

MT[/quote]

Red meat is fine, as it deli style meats (though it’s better to eat first cuts of meat, not processed stuff).

You’re thinking too much about the details when the foundation is lacking.

And whey protein is fine and a very good quality source of protein, but food is better.

I get 200g+ protein per day with one protein shake reconstituted with milk. Sample day:

Breakfast:
-4 eggs, scrambled with peppers and onions (24g)

Snack:
-Protein shake w/ milk (40g)

Lunch:
-Rocky Jr. chicken fingers from Whole Foods (.5 lbs = 56g)
-Side of rosemary potatoes (assume 0g)

Dinner:
-Two sauteed chicken breasts (.75 lbs = 84g)
-Side of asparagus (assume 0g)

That’s 204g protein in a day. Not too hard. (I like chicken.) Eating burgers or more cuts of red meat will help, as will fish intake.

I’d love to take a look at anything from which I could learn how to incorporate more healthy natural proteins / healthy calories. Its not that I am opposed to supplements and shakes, but my preference would be to seek it first from diet alone.

My email address is ecmike73@yahoo.com

[quote=“ecmike73”]I’d love to take a look at anything from which I could learn how to incorporate more healthy natural proteins / healthy calories. Its not that I am opposed to supplements and shakes, but my preference would be to seek it first from diet alone.

My email address is ecmike73@yahoo.com[/quote]

This is generally a good idea. Eat as much protein from whole foods as you can, then supplement when needed. Whey protein is not bad for you and is a high quality source of protein, so it’s worth adding when you need it.

Baby steps! Get 150g/day for a week, then 175g/day for a week, then 200g/day. Don’t dive right into it.

Remember, eating is training too.

[quote=“ecmike73”]I’d love to take a look at anything from which I could learn how to incorporate more healthy natural proteins / healthy calories. Its not that I am opposed to supplements and shakes, but my preference would be to seek it first from diet alone.

My email address is ecmike73@yahoo.com[/quote]I emailed you. Let me know if you had any questions.

[quote=“CSOleson”][quote=“ecmike73”]I’d love to take a look at anything from which I could learn how to incorporate more healthy natural proteins / healthy calories. Its not that I am opposed to supplements and shakes, but my preference would be to seek it first from diet alone.

My email address is ecmike73@yahoo.com[/quote]I emailed you. Let me know if you had any questions.[/quote]

that spreadsheet is awesome! very very detailed! i just set up an account @ livestrong and will start detailing my diet there as well. thanks!

[quote=“ecmike73”][quote=“CSOleson”][quote=“ecmike73”]I’d love to take a look at anything from which I could learn how to incorporate more healthy natural proteins / healthy calories. Its not that I am opposed to supplements and shakes, but my preference would be to seek it first from diet alone.

My email address is ecmike73@yahoo.com[/quote]I emailed you. Let me know if you had any questions.[/quote]

that spreadsheet is awesome! very very detailed! i just set up an account @ livestrong and will start detailing my diet there as well. thanks![/quote]
No problem, I am glad you enjoyed it! The free account has been extremely useful to me over the past couple of months. I have learned a lot about eating from myplate and the ability to export a spreadsheet is cool too. Let me know how it helps you!

And KyleB, right on, 100%