Abnormal Cramping

Hey,

For as far back as I can remember I have always been very flexible, to the point of being just plain freaky, and I do a 20-30 minute stretching routine every morning when I wake up and every night before bed. I never cramped unless I was dangerously dehydrated, and I mean around 5% total dehydration or worse (delirium/blurred vision set in at 10% and you die at 15%). But lately, about the last 2 months, I have been cramping a lot, and all over my body in strange places. In places like my shoulders, upper and lower back, abs/obliques, and even my pectorals. This is especially weird because in the 4 times i remember cramping in my 20 years, they were all either in the hamstrings or quads. And to compound the problem, I cramp up every time I try to do any good/useful stretching. So its basically just getting worse, and I’m helpless.

It has effected my pitching, both velocity and location. I worked out hard all year and got my FB velocity up to an average of 91 (top out 93) and was spotting my pitches; but now with all the cramping, I cant spot anything unless I get lucky and my avg velocity has dropped back to 89 (top out 91). This is a huge deal because I am being scouted by 2 teams right now and I’m damn sure they don’t want to see me losing ground at 20 years old. If I can’t figure this out soon, I’m going to have to see a Doctor and get some tests’ run or something, because I’m starting to think I’ve managed to get some type of illness.

What do you guys think? I’m open to all advice/suggestions. By the way, I am not dehydrated, that would be impossible; I drink just short of 2 gallons of water a day.

Maybe you are drinking too much water.

Thought of that. Talked to a few health specialists on campus (fitness director, head trainer, and Health Center Doctors) and they said “nope”, that is definitely not it. I kinda have to drink that much water because a take 45mg of Adderall daily and Adderall is a diuretic (means that it increases the amount of water loss you experience, through sweating and urination)

Maybe you should get rid of the Adderal.

That would not be good. I have ADHD and ELD; Adderall is pretty much a necessity. Its not like im taking it for $h!ts & giggles, I actually need it.

My bad, sorry… I know a few kids with ADHD.

Maybe you should go see a doctor ASAP. This site probably isn’t going to give you the help that you need for your situation, and if this is a problem, you should probably get an opinion ASAP, especially in your situation with baseball.

Hammer is right on- it’s probably time to see a doctor. Considering you’re taking Adderal that would be my first step regardless of your baseball status.

One other thought- have you ever considered massage therapy- whether it be deep tissue, neuromuscular therapy, myofascial release, etc.? You say you’ve been working out hard and diligent about stretching. It’s amazing how all the fascia, muscles and soft tissue are related and sometimes just stretching is not enough. A knot or two in the wrong place can cause havoc and the effects may not even show until you reach a certain level of exertion. I see you’re in Maryland. If you’re near Annapolis PM me and I can give you the name of a therapist who has done wonders for me.

[quote=“JP”]Hammer is right on- it’s probably time to see a doctor. Considering you’re taking Adderal that would be my first step regardless of your baseball status.

One other thought- have you ever considered massage therapy- whether it be deep tissue, neuromuscular therapy, myofascial release, etc.? You say you’ve been working out hard and diligent about stretching. It’s amazing how all the fascia, muscles and soft tissue are related and sometimes just stretching is not enough. A knot or two in the wrong place can cause havoc and the effects may not even show until you reach a certain level of exertion. I see you’re in Maryland. If you’re near Annapolis PM me and I can give you the name of a therapist who has done wonders for me.[/quote]

Absolutely agree with all of this - see a doctor and also check into myofascial release. You can do a lot of this on your own as well using a foam roller. Here’s a great video on it:

That said, I would also look into professional massotherapy and active release therapy first.