Aaron Abundo Pitching Analysis

First time pitching for years. I would like to get better at it. Stats: 5"4.5’ 150 pounds. Which pitch is the best mechanically? (They are not the same pitches, front and side views)

Building a Thunder from Down Under arm

The knee lift is better than the leg swing for keeping the pitching delivery compact.

There are lots of things to work on with your delivery, but your biggest issue is your arm action in my opinion, so let’s focus on that:

When the hands separate, the throwing hand should go down, back, then up toward the cocked position in a continuous motion along midline while keeping the fingers on top of the ball.

Here are two drills to help develop better arm path/arm action/hand separation:

http://youthpitching.com/img/dumbbell-exercise-separation-drill.png

Separation Drill: Perform slowly! Use 3 lb weights. Slowly mimic the arm action of your pitching motion. Separate hands down and back by squeezing shoulder blades together and thrusting chest outward. Bring dumbbells into “high cock” pitching position. Slowly return to start position. Repeat.

http://youthpitching.com/img/dumbbell-exercise-full-rom-drill.png

Full Range Of Motion (ROM) Drill: Perform slowly! Use 3 lb weights. Slowly mimic the arm action of pitching motion. Separate hands down and back by squeezing shoulder blades together and thrusting chest outward. Continue the throwing motion right through your follow through position. Then go in reverse. Be slow and deliberate. Use good form. Repeat.

Also, read this article on pitching mechanics I recently wrote and study some of the concepts in it.

www.youthpitching.com/mechanics.html

Bottom line is if you’re serious about pitching – like really serious – you need to throw, throw, throw. You arm action is a key indication to me that you have a lot of catching up to do.

I’ll offer a different perspective…

You lift your knee and then pretty much just step forward with your front leg. As a result, you don’t really get your center of mass moving. I’d want to see you start your hips moving forward earlier during your knee lift while keep the front leg closed off longer before swinging it out front. Google “Hershiser Drill”.

Thanks! I’ll look into this. Posting a 3 monthly update on mechanics on here. And posting weekly (hopefully) log on my other forum in terms of baseball…

Arm action is definitely a focal point. Your elbow is way out in front of your chest at release. I call that casting or throwing darts. Your elbow should be more in line with both of your shoulders. When your elbow is out that far, you are not getting any rotational energy from your body into your throw. You are throwing with only your forearm and wrist.

Everyone else has great advice for you as well.

Thank you for the reply Paul! And I think the release point as well maybe explains why most of my pitches fall short of the catcher. Hopefully I can show a better arm mechanics as well as the slow throw drill explained above.