A quick question

This is a great forum! I’m new here but and my passion is helping ballplayers get to the next level.

What’s your single most important question about strength training to be a better baseball player?

I have a question.

I am a 13 year old pitcher, who has been lifting since about March. My question is how much should I stretch before, during, or after using weights.

Thank you for posting this thread. :smiley:

Solid question… having a good stretching routine (especially in the weight room) will keep you in the game longer, make you more consistent, and reduce the risk of elbow pain or shoulder injury. Pitcher’s who don’t stretch when lifting will actually do more damage then good.

Stretching is very broad term because it involves so many forms. Stretching falls into PREHAB work - a term coined by Mark Verstegen at Athlete’s Performance.

The simple answer, always perform some type of stretching/PREHAB.

It’s important to use a variety of methods during your workouts. We start our athletes with a self-massage session using a foam roller, tennis ball or even a baseball if the athlete has some serious “knots” he can’t work out.

After the muscle is warm, we move into 10-minutes of 3D stretching. We found the world’s 10 best stretches any athlete can use. [Maybe a video?]

From 3D stretching it’s important to do mobility work. We normally spend 5-minutes doing continuous mobility work, sometimes integrating calisthenics.

Once into the workout, include stretches between sets. We’ve found its always best to stretch the “antagonist” muscle group to what’s being worked. For instance, a lat stretch when doing push-ups, a hamstring stretch when doing squats, etc…

Post workout, when the muscle is still warm, doing Active Isolated Stretching (AIS) does an awesome job of flushing toxins out of the muscle while increasing some tissue length. Google active isolated stretching… for $5 you can buy a good rope at home depot and include this form of stretching.

I concentrate mainly on explosive movements that increase my speed, agility, flexiblity, strength, balance, stability and power. A lot of explosive med ball, plyometric work and single leg movements. Obviously a lot of shoulder, rotatator and scap work too. I was wondering what you feel are the most important aspects to include in a pitchers training routine?

Beast,

That sounds “right on” buddy. You have all the right ingredients in there - the only thing I’d add is “are you measuring?”

Some solid bi-monthly performance tests to look at may be: vertical jump (static - no step), broad jump (static), parallel grip chin-ups, double leg squat 1RM (estimated from single leg squat), max grip (left & right), etc.

Some monthly tests might be: 10-yard dash, 30-yard dash, 60-yard dash, 20-yard shuttle, rotational PB toss, PB chest toss, and maybe the 300-yard shuttle, etc.

Also, have you heard of the Functional Movement Screen (FMS - developed by physical therapist Gray Cook)? It’s a mobility screen that pinpoints movement deficiencies. It’s really awesome and an integral part of our screening process.

Thanks for the question! Good luck with your off-season workout!

Thanks for the advice man