A quick glimpse of my kid

It’s only one pitch but I’m interested in comments

he looks good to me. is he having any trouble or pain. if he’s not and throwing strikes i’d leave him alone and concentrate on strength.

Sorry Dusty, I’ll give you a little better point of reference, no pain, throws strikes, last summer sat 88-89…here is his latest outing;
http://www.letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2943&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=108

I’ve been talking about him for years and never posted a vid. Thanks for your input though. I will leave him alone (He’s currently working with a D-1 pitching coach and a former major leaguer) and he is actually done with strength til the HS season is over with.

How old is he?

Nice fast delivery. Upload more, 3rd baseman is blocking the view…

He’s 17 soon to be 18.

Sure Nik but I’m going to have to work on it my connection is a dial up so more than 5-10 seconds and I’m sunk

What a tease…1 windup ? Run down to the local Starbucks and fire off the rest of the inning !

The boy looks good , pretty strong for his age … what, 6-3 185 or so ?

[quote=“jdfromfla”]He’s 17 soon to be 18.

Sure Nik but I’m going to have to work on it my connection is a dial up so more than 5-10 seconds and I’m sunk[/quote]

OOoo dial-up I dumped that when I left home 2 years ago! College is nice.

We’ll get more, just kickin out the cob webs…figuring it all out. Not quite into this century but running fast to catch up…
He’s just under 6’ (5’ 11.5"+) and now he’s back up to around 175 (He kost 12 lbs in Dec.). He is very strong…he doesn’t bench and doesn’t work max on squats because of a back tweak last year…but he started out in martial arts (He’s an unpracticing 2nd degree black belt in Tae Kwan Doo…fought in the Jr. Olympics in Minneapolis as a 12 yr old) so his core is outstanding and he’s got great balance, he’s got some bi-cep definition…but it’s so the girlies will think well of him on the beach :smiley: :lol: 8) I’d rate him as top level as far as conditioning…not as sophisticated and extensive as Centerfield (From our forums) but when stacked up against the prime of Jacksonville’s top schools…now this isn’t daddy talk…he left them in the dust…in endurance tests, strength tests, flexability, all observed and administered by an ex major leaguer and a minor leaguer with an advanced degree in bio-mechanics.

“OOoo dial-up I dumped that when I left home 2 years ago! College is nice.”

Make me want to run some Texas/Arkansas smack…but no I won’t…I am guilty…believe it or not I was running t-1 for about 5 years…but that was when I was rich and good lookin :shock: …well rich…well my company put it in…

So besides deriding my ancient ways…fossilization sux :nosleep: ! What about the point here college boy?

Well, well, well, it’s about darn time Mr. JD. I’ve been waiting for a pic of andy’s mechanics for awhile since I’ve been following the blog over there. He looks great. I’m pleased to see he points the toe back near 2nd because my son does the same thing.

Did he ever step back vs. a tiny step to the side on the full windup? I was just curious if his pitching coaches influenced this for an easier setup into the knee lift.

Serious arm speed.

I know you’re too modest for this, but for those that don’t know it, this kid has been eating up competition down in north florida this past year.
Andy’s last two years have been out of control and the way you describe it gives us dads the ability enjoy your success. Keep it coming because I fully expect this kid to be taking the buses some day on the road through the minor leagues up to…who knows

I think you said it’s routine for him to hit low 90’s now. That’s incredible for a senior in high school. His arm speed reminds me a little of the kid from SF, without the jump of the front leg into plant.

enjoy

[quote=“jdfromfla”]
So besides deriding my ancient ways…fossilization sux :nosleep: ! What about the point here college boy?[/quote]

Well from looking at that one pitch, if you put your boy on a major league mound and surrounded him with major league players, I don’t think I could tell the difference by looks… at a glance

He has that slow… fast movement that I see in major league pitchers

Edit: P.S. how long did it take to upload 3 seconds of video?

"Did he ever step back vs. a tiny step to the side on the full windup? I was just curious if his pitching coaches influenced this for an easier setup into the knee lift. "

It has evolved over time…This is directly what Bob Shepherd at North Florida teaches, but over all without a doubt, the mechanics are a reflection of the mentoring of Rick Wilkens, Bob has a major multi year influence, but Rick has seen him very regularly for 2 solid years had trained him intermittently for 2 years before that and has been around him since 2000/1. I’m just there to piss him off and tell him things he doesn’t want to hear :smiley:
And what El Bob teaches is posture, smooth solid flow, direct and forceful to the plate…he doesn’t want to see the head moving all over the place or violent at all.

“I think you said it’s routine for him to hit low 90’s now. That’s incredible for a senior in high school.”

I’ve seen all summer, regular 88-89 on guns from Perfect Game and a couple of universities as well as Diamond Baseball Jacksonville, Bob Shepherd thinks (Hasn’t gunned him yet) he sits right at 90, he also believes he will be at 92-3 mid-season, warm weather. My feelings are that he’s plenty quick, but I admire about him is his ability to back that off and change speeds in a 4-5 mph range while getting late movement on the fastball…(He was told by one of his coaches this summer who is now in the KC organization) that this trait was making every scout and team that encountered him go nuts all summer…grounder after grounder…and then if he needed it he could usually K who ever he needed to when the situation dictated it…and it wasn’t just a HS summer league he was playing in, he went up against some of the great teams from all over the country…shut down the Midland Redskins over 5, beat the #1 squad out of Indiana in the World Wood Bat Championships in Atlanta, struck out the side on the Orlando Renegades for the last 4 innings in Deland (They came in 2nd in the WWBC Jupitor scout combines) Pitched for the Knoxville Yard in those same combines.
This is the Maddux trait that I want him to copy and man-o-man has he been workin on it.

"P.S. how long did it take to upload 3 seconds of video?"
daggumit Spence! you are right, It’s the edit…see I haven’t parsed out the 2 minutes into say 2 1 minute or something handleable yet, so right not it’s 3 seconds or 2.xx minutes…I’m on-call this weekend so like right now I’m in downtown Jacksonville on my work computer…my vid stuff is at home…blah blah blah…the old guy just needs a little practice with the newfangled contraptions…
It didn’t take very long at all, but when I attempted to dump the 2+ minutes it times out the web page. :shock: :evil:
I just have to put my pride down and beg my wife for a little mercy and see if I can’t get her to squeeze me a dollar or two for some better than internet video filtering codecs.

[quote=“jdfromfla”]It’s only one pitch but I’m interested in comments

Looks very nice.

Thanks for lookin Chris.

Well, it’s a bit hard to find fault in a kid throwing that kind of gas. I’d love to see more vid, especially in the form of a file I can step through with Quicktime. Youtube’s better than nothin’ but it makes it tough seeing the important things re: timing. It’s “hit or miss” trying to stop it at just the right times. Nikae’s right about the 3rd baseman too.

Having said all of that, he’s got very nice arm speed coming through. Acknowledging the fact that we can’t see everything from the vid, I will guess at some stuff I “think” I see.

Momentum generation. It looks like he starts it all off but kicks the foot out, where it then kind of lands softly on the toes. Hard to really see but I think that’s the case.

There’s some kind of timing thing happening. It’s like he lands, then he throws a moment later. It’s like 1 … then … 2. Check out Kevin Brown’s vid on this site to see the smoothness of the transition.

Maybe a bit longer stride and rotating the front knee/foot and the hips into landing as opposed to kicking the foot out, touching down then throwing.

That’s all a big guess there guy but there’s some kind of timing thing happening that struck me when I first ran the clip. I may be all wet on that but a clip without the 3rd baseman and one that I can step through would confirm or refute it all.

you might consider a strength maintenance lifting program. at least jobe’s 3x week. need to protect talent like that.

“you might consider a strength maintenance lifting program. at least jobe’s 3x week. need to protect talent like that.”

Oh he’s on a maintenace program, he just isn’t lifting for strength until after the season. I agree its necessary. Good point for all that are listening though. Very important in season.

DM We’ll get some more/better vid. down the road shortly. the leg doesn’t kick out, just a high lift. Thanks for giving it a peek.

I’m trying to convert to GIF but it is not working. I don’t know what the problem is… codec errors maybe