A question about using a stalker?

Does it gun the velo out of the hand or over the plate? does it give you a diff reading if you are standing behind the pitcher and then from behind the plate?

Judging by how many views this post got, I think you should post it again with a new name. “Stalker” has two meanings.

Haha oh man I totally didn’t think about that

Both (well, the models I’m familiar with do).

Don’t know for sure but my guess is you should get the same reading from either position.

I know the ones that you are talking about Roger where the gun gives two readings. I believe there is a setting on the gun that can be changed to give two readings, otherwise it will give just one. Point the gun towards the pitchers release point and you will get the reading out of the hand.

velocity “out of hand” is what is typically used in the industry… it’s the velocities you always see pro pitchers gunned at, etc. Velocity as a pitch crosses the plate, and don’t quote me on this… but if i’m remembering correctly can be as much as 10mph or so slower.

The out of hand reading is simply the fastest reading and the plate reading is simply the slowest read (per pull of the trigger). And the faster the gun is able to capture a reading, the closer to “out of the hand” it will be and the faster it will be because as soon as the ball leaves the hand it begins to slow dow. Stalkers are able to capture a reading faster than other brands, I believe.

When I was playing, the radar gun, in whatever form it took, hadn’t even been invented, so pitchers had to rely on someone else’s stopwatch or whatever to tell them how fast or how slow they threw. I remember one day, when I was warming up prior to starting a game, I suddenly threw a pitch that was faster than my other stuff (I was a real snake-jazzer), and when my catcher asked if I wanted to try it in the game I said okay. I mixed it in with my other stuff, and the batters had no idea what to do with it. Later on I happened to mention it to my pitching coach—I called it my “whoops” pitch because I didn’t know what else to call it—and he ran into the clubhouse, came out with a stopwatch, and told me to throw it about nine or ten times because he was going to time it! Much to my surprise he told me that I had a fast ball! It was a good four-seamer with a good deal of movement, it was 81 miles an hour, and that, for a finesse pitcher like me, was a fast ball! So I worked on it a bit and added it to my arsenal. :slight_smile:
And speaking of speed, did you know that Allie Reynolds’ fast ball was often clocked at better than 100 miles an hour? 8)