A Problem

I have a very good curveball. The problem is, I don’t pronate after I throw it. This seems to lead to elbow problems. I as wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how I could fix this / how big of a problem it is (I am under the impression that it is is a big one)

Thanks.

Think of it as throwing a football, and just after you release it, you turn your forearm/wrist. I know when I throw a football, I cant throw a spiral unless i pronate. I pronate right after I release and it some how gives me tight spin. Maybe because it leaves the index finger last.

blacksox25, i think is wrong in saying that if you pronate, the ball will leave your index finger last, for two reasons. one, you pronate after you release the ball not as you release the ball. and two, all pitches leave your middle finger last because the middle finger is your longest finger. for your pronation i would say just let it be natural. what i think your doing is pulling down even after you throw the ball. just remember once you let go of the ball you cant control anything anymore (that happens to the baseball). pronating your hand is mostly natural not something you should have to think about.

Ooooo…I see. I was thinkin the way Dr. Mike Marshall and Chris O’Leary said it, where you want to pronate BEFORE release to protect your elbow. But obviously you cant do this on a curve. I have heard somewhere of a pronation curve. Maybe google it?

EDIT

Have you saw this .gif? maybe it will help…it’s K-Rod and his curveball on X-mo

bbfanatic,

How do you know that you don’t pronate after you throw your curve?

Have you ever seen good video of yourself pitching? By “good” I mean high-speed video, because…I gotta tell ya: Some parts of the pitching motion–like pronation after release of the ball–happen so rapidly that casual observers can’t pick up the details and the pitcher can also be completely unaware that it is even occuring.

Mike Marshall and a few other people, most of whom should know better, have been trying to sell the idea that “pitchers must pronate every pitch” as if that is something they invented for the betterment of mankind. Nothing could be further from the truth.

It is an anatomical necessity that your forearm/wrist/hand will go into pronation after the fast overhand release of a baseball. That is one of the reasons why the bad advice that you sometimes hear: “Actively twist the wrist toward supination near the release point” is potentially injurious: Your forearm/wrist/hand WILL pronate, and it’s the extra twisting and untwisting that is extra stressful.

A proper overhand curveball is released with a preset “karate-chop” configuration of the forearm/wrist/hand–that is, you preset that and come to the release point with a karate-chop action straight toward the target. Do not “twist the wrist” as if you were turning a doorknob–that is foolish and it will also not help you get curveball spin.

You do not have to worry about pronation–it will happen immediately after release of the ball (on every pitch you make). Have someone videotape you and you will see–if you can’t get someone with a high-speed vidcam, at least ask them to use a tripod (for steadiness) and as fast a shutter speed as possible so that you can catch the details.

At typical full-speed delivery, the pronation event lasts only 60-80 milliseconds. You really need slo-mo or stills captured at the exact right time to examine it.

it might be your arm angle
if its high
if its lower(IDK)you should pronate after every pitch

OR

you are trying to put break on the ball instead of just throwing the pitch
grip it a little more off center and let the grip do the work with a wrist snap

try releasing it earlier