A New Season Begins

We had our first game two weeks ago and my team defeated the Red Sox 14-2. I pitched the middle three innings and gave up no runs on two hits, one walk and two strike outs, 32 pitches total.

Went 3-4 at the plate with 2 RBI’s.

Our closer is 36 years old and throws harder than any adult league pitcher I’ve seen. Most guys in our league probably throw mid 70’s to low 80’s. If this guy isn’t throwing 90 he’s darn close.

Should be a fun season. I’ll try to post some video of the old man here in the next few weeks.

Sounds like a good outing. Are you guys using wood or aluminum? 32 pitches is efficient in a men’s league.

We don’t start until May 6th. I already know I’ll be pitching the middle 3 innings. Can’t wait to get back on the field again. Been throwing inside for about 3 weeks now and feel very good with minimal stiffness after throwing. Good velocity and good late movement on my slider. Working on a change and splitter without too much luck as of now.

We just had 5 inches of snow and now it’s melting. Supposed to ump high school game this afternoon but don’t know if all the snow will be melted.

We are a 35+ wood bat MSBL league in Denver Colorado and I am the old man on the team at 50. I’ve been playing in this league for the past 7 years.

I almost got out of the first inning on three pitches.
I jammed the third hitter with a good two seamer on the hands and he hit a foul ball just out of the reach of our third baseman.

How do you throw and hold your changeup? I worked hard on mine last year and didn’t have much success until I focused on taking my wrist out of the pitch and turning it over hard to the inside (pronating) on release.

It is snowing here today as well but the weather looks good for Saturday and Sunday so hopefully we will play Sunday morning.

My son is a sophmore in H.S. and just got moved up to the J.V. team for the remainder of the season. I have a lot of respect for the guys who ump these games even when I think they squezze him a bit.

“How do you throw and hold your changeup? I worked hard on mine last year and didn’t have much success until I focused on taking my wrist out of the pitch and turning it over hard to the inside (pronating) on release.” - the previous post author.

I hold my change-up with the three finger hold seen here on the website. Still comes out like my fastball with a negligable decrease in velocity. Just like throwing a three fingered fastball. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

By the way didn’t get to ump today. fields were not in shape to play. Rescheduled for next week. umping 7 games in 6 days next week. When I first started umping, I was told I was “squeezing” the zone too much for the freshman and JV games. Learned and now respected well in the area.

We are the NE Wisconsin MSBL. Having a wood bat tourney the last weekend in June. 25+ age bracket. Already told that a team from Denver is coming. Joe Viau is our league president and I have been told he was a big player in organizing the Denver MSBL. Ever heard of him?

Good to talk with another MSBL player.

I wanted to learn to pitch and join this adult baseball league in Indiana but I’ve never played organized baseball before and I guess you have to tryout. Not much chance I can learn to pitch respectably and make a team eh? I’m 32, nobody to throw to and nowhere to practice. :cry: