A little different than most of your topics

I know most of the topics are about older kids. I have a 9 yr old, will be ten the end of March. He’s around 5 ft tall and weighs roughly 85 lbs. I have a radar gun (he has older brothers) and have clocked him at 52-53 mph. So, I’d say for his age and size he throws pretty hard. My concern is with him throwing as hard as he does is injuries down the road. His older brother, now a senior just had labrum surgery on his throwing shouler. He mainly played o/f, but also pitched some relief for the H.S and Legion team. Any recommendations as far as things I should be doing with him as far as physically, but also with how often he pitches. We live in North Central Arkansas, so the weather doesn’t allow for year round ball like my older one played when we lived in So California. But, I do get em out and throw when the weather is nice after the season during fall and winter. Thanks for any input.

Mike

My advice: don’t rush him. He may be throwing hard for his age and size, but if he pushes it he’s at risk for injury. I was reading another post, from a guy whose kid is even smaller than yours and who throws a natural curveball that they’re having the devil’s own time trying to get rid of (that kid is a foot shorter and weighs much less). At this stage of the game your son is best off just playing catch for the heck of it; he’s building up his arm strength as best he can, and of course he’s still growing—how much and how fast no one can tell, but I imagine that in a year or so he might put on enough height and weight that you could start introducing him to a few aspects of good sound basic mechanics—and control. Meanwhile, give him time. 8)

Not being able to pitch/throw all year round is a good thing. Young kids especially need to take some time off each year. I wouldn’t get too concerned about any kind of work-outs at 9 years old. What I would suggest, however, is playing some other sports - preferably non-throwing sports like basketball (shooting/passing is not throwing), foot ball (other than QB), volleyball, soccer, etc.

Just remember, let him have fun with it, because I’m pretty sure at some point in every players life, baseball gets stressful for an extent of time. The later that stress happens the more he’ll love the game, plus most times the older you are the better you’ll handle that adversity.