A Fraud * Steroids

A Fraud took steroids ********

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/02/07/alex-rodriguez-steroids/index.html?eref=T1/

2003 is not 2009.

I could care less, unless he tests positive on this year’s drug test.

this news really is huge. should we really even be surprised? seriously if you thought the only guys who did steroids were on the mitchell report you are way wrong. what a bad offseason its been for Arod so far.

Why is this only coming up now?

I really honestly could care less, I was certain he did them before this report came out, and even now I just don’t care. 80% or more of the MLB was doing steroids during that 95-02 period, I hardly even consider it cheating. Someone explain to me how its cheating, when virtually everyone your competing against is doing it.

FSTBLLTHRWER said,

[quote]
I really honestly could care less, I was certain he did them before this report came out, and even now I just don’t care. 80% or more of the MLB was doing steroids during that 95-02 period, I hardly even consider it cheating. Someone explain to me how its cheating, when virtually everyone your competing against is doing it.[/quote]

There are a few reasons I care about A Fraud and Bonds and McGuire and the rest but one is more important to me than the others.

It’s our developing players, our brothers, friends, sons, and future role models. If it somehow becomes acceptable to them to be a fraud…to use deceit and trickery under the guise of fair play then it must be acceptable in all areas of their life; their jobs, their families, their relationships, their friends and themselves! If you can rationalize it because “Everyone is doing it.” then you’ve lost your way. When the league makes it “legal” and there are no consequences then it won’t be cheating. This isn’t like spitting on the ball or stealing signs…this is the most offensive of frauds short of fixing the game for gambling purposes.

I understand why they did it…I just wish that in the name of integrity they would acknowledge it so we can all go on.

instead of trying to weed out all the cheaters and basically handing over records to steriod users, i think steroids should be legal or they should find a way to keep steroids out of baseball. and those who still cheat should be punished severely.

[quote=“Dino”]FSTBLLTHRWER said,

[quote]
I really honestly could care less, I was certain he did them before this report came out, and even now I just don’t care. 80% or more of the MLB was doing steroids during that 95-02 period, I hardly even consider it cheating. Someone explain to me how its cheating, when virtually everyone your competing against is doing it.[/quote]

There are a few reasons I care about A Fraud and Bonds and McGuire and the rest but one is more important to me than the others.

It’s our developing players, our brothers, friends, sons, and future role models. If it somehow becomes acceptable to them to be a fraud…to use deceit and trickery under the guise of fair play then it must be acceptable in all areas of their life; their jobs, their families, their relationships, their friends and themselves! If you can rationalize it because “Everyone is doing it.” then you’ve lost your way. When the league makes it “legal” and there are no consequences then it won’t be cheating. This isn’t like spitting on the ball or stealing signs…this is the most offensive of frauds short of fixing the game for gambling purposes.

I understand why they did it…I just wish that in the name of integrity they would acknowledge it so we can all go on.[/quote]

Well I understand what you are saying, and yes I agree that I wish they would just come out, admit what they did, and let us move on.

But when I say I rationalize it with “Everyones doing it”, all I mean to say is that doing steroids ceases to be an “unfair advantage” if most of the game is doing it. So when someone calls them cheaters, for me atleast that word doesn’t carry too much sting behind it.

And the second thing being, that I don’t think it should be mandatory for athletes to be role models. Yes, there are plenty of good men in sports who are excellent role models for young people, but I don’t think we should slam Micheal Phelps by saying, “You Can’t do that! Kids look up to you”. Now given, Phelps’s sponsorships change things a bit, but the argument remains the same. I think an athletes job is to go out and play the game, not to be a role model.

For me personally, I’m pissed off about it. It’s not fair to the hundreds, or thousands of guys like myself in the minor leagues of in AAA for that matter that were obeying the law of the United States on not take it. I have no respect for any of these steroid users. They are getting what they all deserve, it’s too bad they’ve gotten away with it this long, and kept several AAA players in the minor leagues making peanuts. Nice role models, what a joke.

FSTBLLTHRWER said,

C’mon…they take millions of dollars and you don’t think they MUST be role models. They are…it is not by choice. American youths idolize the elite baseball player. They all know how much each makes and they know it is because of their performance. And they now know that steroids may get them to the show. There is a huge difference between minor league money and MLB money. Just browse this forum and see how the younger kids obsess on pitching velocity. I can’t accept the lack of personal responsibility to others that seems to be condoned by some.

And marijuana is not a performance enhancing drug and doesn’t belong in this discussion. Kudos to Michael Phelps…he had the character to admit what he did. He could have easily denied and gave any number of excuses or just said, “A you’ll have to talk to my representative.”

I flick boogers in A-ROD’s general direction… :bigb: :angryrazz:

I completely agree Dino.

Once you sign that big check and your on tv, you are instantly a role model. It isn’t your choice. Just ask responsibly and be a man, I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

I just don’t care for A Roid A Fraud ***** what ever He is a punk and I’m glad that Younger Players are getting there shot at the Big’s. He is going to get the Barry Bond’s treatment He will be BOOED where ever He plays :smiley:

[quote=“Dino”]FSTBLLTHRWER said,

C’mon…they take millions of dollars and you don’t think they MUST be role models. They are…it is not by choice. American youths idolize the elite baseball player. They all know how much each makes and they know it is because of their performance. And they now know that steroids may get them to the show. There is a huge difference between minor league money and MLB money. Just browse this forum and see how the younger kids obsess on pitching velocity. I can’t accept the lack of personal responsibility to others that seems to be condoned by some.

And marijuana is not a performance enhancing drug and doesn’t belong in this discussion. Kudos to Michael Phelps…he had the character to admit what he did. He could have easily denied and gave any number of excuses or just said, “A you’ll have to talk to my representative.”

I flick boogers in A-ROD’s general direction… :bigb: :angryrazz:[/quote]

Well with all the late discussion about Phelps as a rolemodel, I certainly do think that it belongs in this discussion. And I just don’t know, I understand that athletes do become rolemodels just because of their position in society, but I think that if a kid does steroids because “AROD did them”, their is a much deeper seeded problem than a bad role model. Should we ban chewing/dipping from all baseball players too, because it gives our kids the wrong idea???

Idk, maybe I’m acting slightly irrational about this whole deal, the whole drug era has just annoyed the hell out of me, and any resurgance of focus on it just makes me more and more annoyed. Were never going to get “out” of the steroid era until fans just cease to pay attention, and go back to caring about the game, not needles. I mean, for christ sake, in 2008 the Rays made it to the WS, a 5’ 9" guy won the Cy Young, and a 5’ 8" guy won the MVP, yet all we care about is something Arod did 6 years ago.

Maybe I’m alone on this one, but I just really couldn’t care any less about any new information that comes out. ARod still belongs in the Hall, when its all said and done Clemens and Bonds will probably be there too. I just want this whole ordeal to be over.

This ordeal will last a long time. Its gona be the Brett Favre wanting to return, mike vick dogfighting, mitchell report, and bonds grand jury trials, all over again

Unfortunately for us as fans…

IMO, people should just let it go.

Why can’t players overcoming steroid use be like the Josh Hamilton story? Nobody ever says that he was a bad person, a bad role model, a fraud, just because he was involved with some pretty bad stuff. They see it as a triumph.

I praise A-rod for having the balls to stop using them. No matter how little they ended up.

Let me see if I can’t make a better persuasive arguement…forget the “booger flinging”…

FSTBLLTHRWER,

First of all, you can’t get anywhere making steroid comparisons to tobacco. If they are not “performance enhancing” drugs then they don’t fit the model we are arguing here. Making such comparisons only serves to minimize the inherent hazards of steroids—(the origin of which you have no knowledge when you stick that needle in your a##.)

FSTBLLTHRWER,

On the contrary, getting out of the steroid era will require that we face “humanity” head on and refuse to allow steroids to have a crack to grow in. The Players Assocition and Owners enabled this fiasco and now they must bring it to a hideous end. This is Godzilla tearing down the walls of the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown and the Army needs to bring it to its knees before the entire integrity of the game is ruined.

More importantly, much more importantly, this is not just about statistics and artificially inflated records. This is about the developing high school players (and some on this forum) who deem performance enhancing drugs a necessity to advance to the college level and beyond. Ask yourself how many of the players you face from the pitcher’s mound, have been juicing and does it matter? The MLB problem is not just their problem, it is your problem and it reaches all the way down to the high school level.

We not only need A-Frauds exposed, we need them demolished. This is the only chance the rising prep players have to enjoy the game without worrying if the other guy has an unfair advantage. It really should be about your God given talent and dedication. It should have never been about who can get ahold of hippopotamus or elephant hormones. Continued testing, continued suspension , continued embarrassing publication is the only way to ensure the health of tomorrows players and preserve the next generation of A-ROD’s.

:rant:

Now…can I have some assistance getting down off this soapbox? Whew…

yanksneeddice-K,

Wow, I have to answer this one. Josh’s story couldn’t be more different. The crap he was smokin and snorting was “performance incompatible”. You can’t play good baseball when you are addicted to that stuff. You can’t even be true to your friends and family. Your motivation is to one thing, “Get high.” And if you gotta steal and burglarize and beat people you’ll do it.

Steroids are not addicting in the chemical sense. Now maybe you might get use to the fact that you are smashing natural records galore, and sports illustrated does articles on you and you collected 75 million the other day. Yeah! I’ll agree that may be addictive.

Josh Hamilton overcame his demons. A-ROD’s and the like are the demons.

I understand guys. You’re just sick of it but there are some wars you got to ride out to the bloody end. And this is one of them.

What most of you guys don’t know is that chew and dip are actually frowned on heavily in the minor leagues. There is what’s called the “dip police”. I believe it’s in college ball also. But anyways, people randomly come around and players get fined a very steep amount if there is chew or dip on their person or in their lockers. I thought the fine was in the ballpark of 300-500 beans.

And Josh isnt ashamed to say he was a crack head. Hes using his wrong to preach to ppl to not get into that. If Arod just admits like Giambi it might be good. But like the video they showed with him flat out lying “him saying no as he nods haha” Thats just making it worse.